The Nova Fleet Dynamics Starmade Triathlon! (Competition)

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    GOOD DAY LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

I am pleased to announce the opening of the NFD Starmade Triathlon!

Here is your ticket.

This contest will operate in three parts, and, depending on time constraints, a single round may continue back and forth for as long as people are interested. The contest is based on a large-scale planetary invasion, where two teams vie for control of a planet through three phases of combat: Phase 1- Capital ship battles in deep space, Phase 2- A fighter battle to neutralize the planet's defense, and finally, Phase 3- A ground battle where the winner of Phase 2 is assaulting a fortified city controlled by the other team.

Teams- Player teams will be randomized in order to keep things interesting and to keep the teams balanced. There will be two teams, Red and Blue.

Phase 1: Capital Ship Battle-

Red and Blue teams are each allowed to spawn in whatever ship they choose provided it is under 200k blocks.
    The Overseer will allow five minutes of preparation time once all the players are in their ships for the fleets to organize themselves, then the battle will begin. Depending on the amount of players involved, it may take place in either a single sector or an entire system. Once all players on one side have been eliminated, victory is declared.

RULES FOR PHASE 1:
    -No swarm missile weapons. Nobody likes teamkillers.
    -No doomcubes. (This competition will take place on the NFD build server, that should go without saying.)
    -No teamkilling. (See rule 1.)
    -No offensive/spammy language in chat during the battle.
    -No ships over 200k (Two hundred thousand/200,000) blocks.

Phase 2: Fighter Battle-

The victor in Phase 1 will be attempting to destroy anti-aircraft batteries while the other team will be trying to stop them. Each player has 3 fighters of their own design, and once those are exhausted they are out of the battle. If the attacking team fails to destroy the targets before all their ships are exhausted, one of two things will happen;

a) If the game is to last longer than normal, the battle will revert to Phase 1.
    b) If the game is to be played at regular speed, then the defending team in Phase 2 becomes the attackers in Phase 3.

If the attacking team manages to destroy all the anti-aircraft batteries without losing all of their ships, then the battle advances to Phase 3, with the victorious attackers launching an assault against the other team in the ground battle.

RULES FOR PHASE 2:
    -No lock-on missiles of any kind.
    -No swarm missiles.
    -No advanced armor.
    -No jump drives.
    -Maximum block count- 3000.
    Phase 3: Ground Battle-

The victorious team in Phase 2 starts on a ship high over the battlefield. They descend down onto one end of the map (800m by 240m) and begin the assault. The defending team has been given five minutes to prepare, so the attackers start off at a disadvantage. There are multiple traps and control points throughout the map, the game ends when one team controls all the points. These points are logic-activated, so you have to get close and press the button on the terminals to actually gain control over them for your team.

Throughout the map there are numerous bunkers, points of interest, warhead traps, and fixed guns. Most of the environment is destructible, as well as many structures, bunkers, and all of the fixed guns. Have a problem with a gun pinning you down? Shoot it!

RULES FOR PHASE 3:
    -No teamkilling.
    -Don't go outside of the map.
    -Keep vehicles on the ground.
    -No placing blocks.
    -No Bunnyhopping. Seriously, it was annoying as heck in the trial runs.

CONTESTANT ENTRY:

Entry is a very simple process. Your team will be decided on the day of the event, so you do not need to worry about it. That said, we'll try to pair you with certain people if you so request it. Note that this may not happen in the case of large factions or if there is an imbalance on the teams.

To enter, simply state your IGN and that you are interested in attending. You will be whitelisted on the day of the event, on the NFD build server.
    Should you wish to build your own ship for the contest (Ships will be provided, however it is encouraged that you bring your own.) and want to build it on the server, feel free to apply for the permanent whitelist here: http://starmadedock.net/threads/nova-fleet-dynamics-build-server-build-play-explore-whitelist.4022/

THE TRIATHLON WILL OCCUR AT SATURDAY, OCTOBER 3RD AT 4:00PM EST..

Happy hunting!

Last edited:

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I'm in, for obvious reasons. Pew pew pew.

inb4 Karkinosz kills everyone with dumbfire missiles again

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Ground battle tests were fun with 3-5. I so want to see massive ground battles on that map.

Reactions: Winterhome
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm probably not going to join, but I'm really interested in seeing how this turns out.
    I could see this as a regular event, maybe even a dedicated server.

A few question:

Are drones allowed? (in any phase)​

Phase 1
    1. What are the start conditions? Does everyone jump in to start? Or is a battle line predetermined?
    2. Can multiple players man the same ship?
      1. Assuming a System battle, can this crew transfer to another ship after death? (maintaining a 1 ship per player limit, aka reinforcements)
    Phase 2
    1. What are the build limits/requirements for the fighters?
    2. Edit: was answer before I got my post up :p

Phase 3
    1. How do the attackers get down? Do they supply their own assault/drop shuttles? GM supplied?
    2. Do both sides get vehicles?
    3. Are vehicles provided? Or BYO? Mecha? Build limits/requirements?
    4. Will the planet be claimed by a third faction to actually prevent building? Or is this an honor system?
    That's all for now.

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm probably not going to join, but I'm really interested in seeing how this turns out.
    I could see this as a regular event, maybe even a dedicated server.

A few question:

Are drones allowed? (in any phase)​

Phase 1
    1. What are the start conditions? Does everyone jump in to start? Or is a battle line predetermined?
    2. Can multiple players man the same ship?
      1. Assuming a System battle, can this crew transfer to another ship after death? (maintaining a 1 ship per player limit, aka reinforcements)
    Phase 2
    1. What are the build limits/requirements for the fighters?
    2. Edit: was answer before I got my post up :p

Phase 3
    1. How do the attackers get down? Do they supply their own assault/drop shuttles? GM supplied?
    2. Do both sides get vehicles?
    3. Are vehicles provided? Or BYO? Mecha? Build limits/requirements?
    4. Will the planet be claimed by a third faction to actually prevent building? Or is this an honor system?
    That's all for now.
    Drones are not allowed due to the spam necessary to create any decently-useful drone cloud.

The start conditions are everyone being in factions Red and Blue, lining up 1800s style, the Overseer saying 3 2 1 go, and everybody duking it out in a massive brawl. If it's system-wide, then they'll be assigned starting sectors on opposite sides. Jump range will probably be decreased to a sector or two for this, so players can't just warp out of a fight instantly. Players killed may either go to spectator (invisible) mode, or they can go and board an allied ship to try and aid them. If players wish to do this from the start, I'm not stopping them.

The build limits/requirements are on the OP.

The attackers lose if they are unable to capture the defending HQ in the time limit. (Will be adjusted based on player count, estimate it will be between 5 and 30 minutes.)
    Both sides get vehicles, and there's nothing stopping you from hijacking a vehicle if it's been abandoned.
    Vehicles are provided however we are taking entries provided they fit the standard. That basically means they can't fly, and have a maximum of 2 weapon blocks which are not in the main ship, but on a turret. Allowable size will be determined on the spot, depending on how it is built.
    The planet is actually a large board constructed from an old oreo planet, it will be factioned to a third faction but not homebased and will have a few layers of solid advanced armor/crystal armor on all sides to prevent people from breaking through accidentally.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Depending on the time it takes place (I have work friday afternoons) I would like to participate for sure!

IGN: jzimmerman4

TheOmega

The reason Deb needs meds
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Huehuehue

Multiple people manning the same ship.

QUADRUPLE PILOT POWAH ACTIVATE!!11!!1

ASM

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    I cannot guarantee that i'll be on at the time of the competition, but i'd like to join.

IGN: ASM

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Wait so we can't join as a faction? :/
    Some members of the eurocorp syndicate would otherwise like to join.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1442296269,1442296131][/DOUBLEPOST]Also is it 200k or 2mil blocks?

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Lets be honest, 200k blocks is by no means a capital ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If you are going to color code by team name might as well try using the "/tint_name # # # name" command.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    lol depends on someone's naming conventions. 200k keeps those of us with computers that are on their way out from being lag killed.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Wait so we can't join as a faction? :/
    There's only going to be two teams in the competition- Red and Blue. You can request for you and your factionmates to be on the same team, but if there's 20 people in the competition and 12 of them are in one faction/alliance, there's probably going to need to be some balancing going on there. You can't have a 12 person team vs an 8 person team.

Definitely not. However, it'd be nice for a larger number of players to be able to play, and I feel if everyone was piloting a proper capital ship, the server wouldn't be able to handle it.

I'm already whitelisted on the server, but I'd like to be entered into the competition.

IGN: Lecic

EDIT- I'd recommend you disable autosaves during the fights(if that's something you can do, not sure) since they tend to cause lagspikes. Of course, that might cause some issues when it has to save EVERYTHING that happened during the fights.
    Didn't we decide on No Turrets for the fighter battle? You should probably add that back in.

Last edited:

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Well there is a way to allow drones to be in use but not end up with a cloud of laggy doom. :) Why not limit the number of drones to a max of 4 to 6 and be not higher in mass than half the mass of a fighter for the given number of drones in use. So a given number of drones can't have a combine mass greater than half a fighter's max mass.

Not sure if that'll help but it'll definitely make for some interesting drones.

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    Sounds like a lot of fun. I am in as long as I'm not working when this goes down.

IGN: Jarraff

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11

Deb, you should set water to non-solid so we can have this placeable shield gen. (Projectiles/Beams still hit intangible objects)

Reactions: Jake_Lancia