The New "Vanilla Standard"

Do you agree?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I have noticed a lot of what makes starmade unplayable for more than 50% of the player base at the moment is that the game is completely unlimited even if people's computers or the server code itself can't handle it.

All you have to do is push an update that only changes the default settings in the configs so "officially by default" (some would call it "Vanilla") the game's configs are set in such a way that is actually playable in a low-lag environment. This would still allow people to change it to their liking, but at least those without much knowledge about scripting or who prefer to play the game "out of the box" would have a smooth and enjoyable experience, and any issues that arise out of setting the configs well above the default settings (such as weapons not firing properly, or loading issues, etc) would be their own fault, and would not be "intended".

As it currently stands in the multiplayer community, most people consider 1 million mass ships to be the standard "maximum size" which is very problematic when even 2 of these ships do battle, everyone gets near 1 frame per second, and the server nearly or actually crashes because of it. This is definitely not intended that the game crashes itself or can't handle it's own gameplay... So obviously a default set of limits that are actually "playable" and that the server can handle without issues, would be the best until there is some means of optimizing the code so that larger scale ships and combat can occur reliably without lag or disappearing bullets, or damage not being counted, etc.

What I'm suggesting is to establish a much lower "maximum size standard" as the vanilla, which would be a smooth, playable, and enjoyable experience for more than 50% of the player base (who do not possess top of the line gaming computers)

I know this might upset some of the people who like to build bigger instead of smarter, but sadly, the current state of the game and most likely a lot of the future of the game's server and client code, as well as end-user machine specs for the majority of possible audience will not be able to handle things on a scale that melts your cpu and blows up the server.

Now, limiting the maximum ship size to about 100k mass by default would ensure that everyone can have an enjoyable gameplay experience and avoid a lot of the problems involved with the heavy load of extremely over-sized ships. Also, limiting the number of computers and the number of outputs per computer (and salvage computers with separate standards) would ensure that "no bullet is left behind" to have a much smaller load on the server and player's machines.

The ship mass limits in the config can be bypassed by having tons of turrets that don't exceed the limits, and then docking them onto the main ship (last time I checked) this would need to be taken into account for helping keep things in reasonable stable limits. Speaking of turrets, turrets shouldn't share a pool of rail mass enhancers, they should require their own rail mass enhancers each (so 4x 5k mass turrets would require 20k mass worth of rail enhancers on the main ship).

If the game was limited to a smaller scale by default, output limits, mass limits, and so on, a lot of the playability of the game would return and combat would be fair and enjoyable once again.

From what I hear, a lot of players agree with this, and a lot of new players complain about this too...

Wouldn't matter if the limit was 1m mass or 100k mass, as long as everyone is on the same scale, battles will play out the same on equal footing, only difference is nobody would get lagged out or even completely crash when someone pulls a huge laggy ship into their system. Limiting weapon outputs and computers allowed per ship would also ensure that people can't abuse flooding the server with bullets to help them gain an unfair advantage as well.

Best thing for everyone would be some fair and stable default settings so everyone knows what game they're playing and what they're up against. Also, crashing and lagging is never intended or expected, the general rule of thumb for expectations for any sane player is that the game "just works" and simply limiting the defaults like this would provide a stable play environment by default that "just works" and if anyone pushes the limits beyond the appropriate limits, they can't expect the game to operate properly anymore.

tl;dr : smaller good - bigger bad.

Reactions: IKindaCrashAlot

Jebediah1

FlyingZeene_TNT, Emperor of NRE. (Scipio)
    Reaction score
    I honestly agree, PvP would be much better with something like this.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I disagree, the current system is biased toward people with large PC's the game needs a scale down
    You want to make this game, the only space game that allows you to exceed known limitations, to limit itself? Sure, add the option for servers to limit people's mass, but certainly don't turn it on by default.

Jebediah1

FlyingZeene_TNT, Emperor of NRE. (Scipio)
    Reaction score
    You want to make this game, the only space game that allows you to exceed known limitations, to limit itself? Sure, add the option for servers to limit people's mass, but certainly don't turn it on by default.
    Sorry to break your dreams, the game currently can't handle 7m mass and 70000 missiles in one sector. It just turns into a game of who can crash the other player's PC the fastest. A scale down is needed until starmade has better optimization. In the end this would make PvP cleaner for those without NASA supercomputers.

Reaction score
    everyone with a brain knows this game cant handle the huge shit we throw at it properly. the devs themselves have admitted o nmany occasions they dont test or program with those things in mind, and those things are compounding exisitant probs. no limits is great in theory, and shit in practice.

at the very least, a guide for practical mass limits under certain specs and settings, and even if you leave the limit off by default, make it easy to enforce and properly set in the config. not the bullshit convoluted crap we have now thats difficult to get to recognize mass w/rail, which is already clearly calculated by the game right there in the stat window.

Reactions: Elar-Kusovai
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Sorry to break your dreams, the game currently can't handle 7m mass and 70000 missiles in one sector. It just turns into a game of who can crash the other player's PC the fastest. A scale down is needed until starmade has better optimization. In the end this would make PvP cleaner for those without NASA supercomputers.
    not a dream doe, we can have 400K mass ships, and I've never seen a 7M mass ship before.
    I can run starmade fine and I've got a potato, if you're going to limit starmade then you might as well kill what the game is about really, because it's certainly not pve content :P

make it so the option is there but me thinks not default

IKindaCrashAlot

Part of the Most Nefarious Faction in Starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yes, it is truth that starmade PVP is a slideshow. Ships designed to participate in <500k mass fights have to be entirely select fire since it's impossible for the pilot to use manual weapons.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I had the most fun on a server that limited size only by difficulty. I'm looking forward to the universe reset and redesign. (and bug fix.) Scarcity and diversity will help a lot.

Reactions: SneakyFish
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    100k mass limit is just an approximation, the actual value would depend on the load it places on the server, and what the game is actually capable of doing without lag... a stable medium that takes multi-ship fleets and faction group multi-player ship PVP into account, let's say "5 man raid" as a rule of thumb... 5 ships vs 5 ships would probably be the biggest battle I've ever seen in starmade, so whatever the game can handle with 10 ships in a single sector, all shooting missiles and beams and whatnot at eachother... That would be the way to figure out what is realistically "doable".

Also, don't forget weapon output limits, they are very important, and at a certain limit, they also break, so they also need to be limited to some acceptable, stable and playable standard.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I don't think changing the default config would be the way to go. Player's should have multiple presets to choose from when creating their first level and when editing the config. This way, players can see the full potential of the game on their machine (through honest choice), and not be limited by default if they play on a gaming-oriented machine.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Default limited, or default unlimited, the argument is the same...
    People who want what they want, can edit the config to their liking (if they choose to play beyond known stable limits) whether it be changing it to be limited, or changing it to be unlimited...

The real issue is establishing a "known stable limit" and having that be in place by default as a safe starting point.

There could be copies of different preset configs that could be chosen from, with the settings that are known to work for sure being the default option, but an easy fix without coding any new features would be to simply have the defaults "just work" and if those who like to mod and edit configs so choose, they can easily change the configs to more extreme values.

We can't expect new players who may or may not have the ability to read and edit the configs, to edit the configs to make the game more stable for themselves, in fact, the game should start in a stable and playable state out of the box... It can't be expected for players to fix their own game to make it be playable.

The argument that the game should start in an unstable state is actually the opposite of what it should be, because if it lags too much or things don't work properly on first impression by a new player, this is likely to cause them to quit or possibly never buy the game... It's really all about the first impression and to take the non-developer player into consideration as well as players who might have a more average spec PC rather than gearing it toward a developer type with a high end PC out of the box.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    alot of the games probs dont care how good your pc is. as shit scales up, the program has issues handling it. that said, sure, no defaults in sp. or an option to scale, whatever, who cares. for MP though, where everything is compounded, its more important.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    not a dream doe, we can have 400K mass ships, and I've never seen a 7M mass ship before.
    I can run starmade fine and I've got a potato, if you're going to limit starmade then you might as well kill what the game is about really, because it's certainly not pve content :P

make it so the option is there but me thinks not default
    The option is already there, point is, limited by default prevents the titanmade problem, and helps set a standard in multiplayer (where it is the biggest problem) and if you would prefer the game to lag/crash/bug you have the option there to tweak your configs to do just that.

Of course, server owners know how to edit their configs, and are expected to look through them and change to their liking (actually they have to in order to get their server online) so having this as default wouldn't stop any server owner from customizing their server to suit their needs, by any means.

It encourages building smarter not bigger...

As long as everyone is limited to the same 100k (or whatever) by a config setting, it's the same as being limited to 1m+ by code limitations, it's just that one works better than the other, and one is more fair and doesn't exploit the code limitations to achieve an advantage against someone who may have 4 gigs of ram and not 8 gigs, and run out of memory and crash because a giant mess of a ship started loading into the sector...

As long as you're both in the same mass ship, it's a fair fight. Of course, you wouldn't have the luxury of out-massing someone due to having a bigger PC than the other person, or the luxury of locking-up missile calcs on the server by having far too many outputs (since the game doesn't limit them by default), or any of those lag-induced bugs and basic exploits to gain any sort of unfair advantage against another player.

It would actually boil down to how well-built your ship is, the proportions of systems, the design techniques, etc... An actual fair fight is what it means, I'm sure that's what we all want, isn't it?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I say no. I'd like to see them get a lot farther in the game's development before the discussion of limitations comes up, or a permanent "this is how big you can build" is forced. Not that I would be too affected as I have yet to play PVP, but I wouldn't want my ability to build what i want checked. If a pvp server wants to enforce a size limitation to facilitate combat, that's their business.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    During some of the livestreams, some of the developers lead through that npc faction ships are planned that could have sizes of up to 900 metres in length. Now such big ships would not be implemented, if the game and a usual machine could not handle them. Setting vanilla restrictions now which could potentially limit actual vanilla ships in the future is not really productive.

My suggestion is to wait until the game is optimized enough, see how bigger ships are handled by the game and than decide if and what kind of limits should be set as vanilla configurations in the game. For the time beeing, no restrictions should be set in order to prevent these problems in the future and if necessary let the server admins restrict sizes if they feel the need to.

Reaction score
    conjecture about possible future performance and ships does nothing to solve the real problems the game has right now. this isnt a permanent solution, its a practical one.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    it would greatly benefit active servers if they would be realistic in the meantime, nothing should be taken away from players, only default config modified to better represent the advertised technical requirements, from experience in large player battles, it absolutely doesn't at the moment.

Nothing taken, performance improved, this would be a nice thing i think