Applause?

• Not even close!

• Standing Ovation!

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This is an entirely opinionated exposition of extremes. Reading further may be a trigger risk. The writer is not liable for any ill humors, exorcisms, plague, sociopathy, or indeed realism.

The Importance of RP

Why, do a single one of you do anything in a sandbox? Do you remember playing with Lincoln Logs or Legos? Is a virtual environment more natural for you instead? Does it matter? What matters in this (and any) game, is your avatar. You protect it, you risk it, you often kill it, but in it is you. You are not bound by your avatar, it is a fiction, a proxy. Your avatar is bound by you. Your impulses, your desires, your goals. I have always argued games, virtual environments, and other uses of software can be works of or tools for art and expression. Minecraft proved that...and look where we are now?

How about making maps...for nearly any game. Did you design your own fortress? Or perhaps the fortress of your enemy, and numerous obstacles besides.

Your avatar, regardless of anything else, you know to be separate from yourself. You cannot in any way fact say that you do not RP. Even more especially when lead is headed downrange and you are downrange, as in action and fps titles.

Where We Are Now

There are a myriad of server options. Playing with legos (and other single player actions) was good enough for me to start, but why not branch out? Let my freak flag fly, as it were. In theory, easy, find a concentration of players and have at. In practice…much more difficult. The largest servers (nearly any game/platform) cater to as wide an audience as possible. Can you find RP there? Yup. You must also be prepared to have your lovingly crafted social space destroyed by not even an agressor, but collateral damage.

Some of even those large servers though protect sectors, and indeed back them up. That's steps in the right direction.

Unlimited social space. We have literally a scaled way down version of our own universe. Sure it's based on a grid, it still exhibits scattering, random action, and distance in a way that only games like KSP (science) and NMS (AAA) are trying to match.

Factions (as they are here) and sadly, the council seats, are weighted. This is good, because it draws the people needed for certain tasks and responsibilities. This is bad because of an inherent narrowing of interest. The community has spoken, and for the most part the vocal community has been the prevailing factions. This again is good, because it promotes teamwork, imagination, and technique. This is bad because it forces an extremely conservative bent on future attempts at progress.

An intensive search through the publicly (main menu!) listed servers will provide nearly every possibility. Can you name a one where it is not your Steve, or guy? There needs to be something connecting your own action figure to the world of the game. That connection is RP.

(Yep, I am rambling, and it will continue)

An Apology

I hope to offend noone. I am sure however I will, so I apologize. This is an opinion piece, on a whim, and if you don't like it so far, please stop reading. Also, I am unashamedly biased toward my own servers population, deal with it.

Moving Forward

The lore for starmade, if I had any kind of influence, would be broad. The near infinite configuration possibilities of entities in game speaks to this. The old (also ugly, poorly fitted, and dangerous) pirate stations were wrapped in what was either crazy alien tentacles or a very strangely shaped asteroid or mass. The freedom of voxel creation, especially with angles and slabs, let's us go from organic, to mechanical, to back again and to places not described so simply.

I do happen to have a bunch of talented writers and a will to use them. Each one of my players surpassed me a long time ago, and have been continually surpassing themselves. The enclosed server environment with a friendly (also a bit unrealistic, but friendly) community, has bred some interesting fiction.

Immersion

The keystone to my tirade of mostly unintelligible verse, is immersion. A joke to some, a serious reality to every game developer since MUD 1. Schine is moving in the right direction, giving depth with npcs and factions, perhaps that even do things. That's all I ask, that and a serious (and open) discussion on the story, the lore, some of us are sure that the grey cat or someone on his team has these ideas bottled. I am aware that a beautiful fiction in a virtual world can be horribly marred by choosing some tiny definition arbitrarily or not.

PS: If you made it this far, I hope you're thinking. This here provided for us by the team of the grey cat is, possibly perfect for present practice among proving grounds prospects.

*bows*

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    I indeed agree that RP is a very big part of any community, and even more so in the StarMade community. Hell, I design a lot of my ships nowadays to be RP-friendly and have been slowly but surely been building a lore around them. Many others do this too, most notably Crimson-Artist . It is the RP-ers that can truly make a community stand out from others, and I embrace them and features to help them with open arms because without the RP-ers, this game will have very little imagination and creativity.

Reaction score
    I have only a few ships without any sort of amenities for RP. Most of my ships have at least an interior core room planned and usually get more interior as well. The only builds that don't have an interior are test builds for systems and building technique demos.

I am pro-RP and like to have nice ships with lavish interiors, where people can hang out and just talk about stuff. I don't have a specific lore for my faction yet, so my faction is less RP than others out there, centered around building cool ships and playing Survival in a relaxed environment. If I do recruit, I expect the applicants to be decent builders (I may ask for sample screenshots or even a .sment file as proof), independent (as in not constantly hanging about behind my back, asking questions and suff), and easy to get along with(Attitude is OK, as long as you're not a ****).

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I agree wholeheartedly. I've always said that this game has a distinct advantage over games like minecraft due to the potential for RP. I think that when the planned mission system gets implemented then the game will explode. It will be what spore galactic adventures failed to do.

While I havent been building lately I have been working on a little side project. An item description overhaul mod! Its something that I had tried to do almost a year ago after I discovered how horriblely written some of the item descriptions are (The Warp Gate Computer is the one that really alarmed me). I even asked schine if it would be ok if I could do it for them. I never got a Yes or No back so I decided that I'm just gonna do it myself.

I got quite a few of them written already and they are heavily influenced by the way item descriptions are written in Dark Souls. A short first paragraph describing the item and how to use it while a second and sometimes third paragraph gives some lore related to that item with some vague allusions to the history of the universe. I've tried to base the lore off of what has been revealed so far as well as some of my own interpretations of various game play elements. I'm quite proud of the ones I've written so far and hope to have at least upload a first draft soon.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Too much padding and apologizing in the begining and middle for possibly offending someone then posting non offending material.
    No applause for you.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    rp is what would suit a quiet builder/miner such as myself,i've been mulling over leaving sp to try out a server but am apprehensive of getting my butski handed to me by the overzealous. Not many from what I've seen watching the faction threads enjoy a good bit of mining (I don't mean planet destroyers,just me or my small mining contraptions),it would probably be boring to others but I find it peaceful.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    I love to build but that can be kind of an insular activity. What makes a MP server experience stand out is good RP. Sandbox has game play that is emergent...it springs forth naturally from what the player brings to the game IE imagination and creativity. If the 'meaning' is not provided by a story or a quest then it must come from us. We provide that crucial element of context with our rich inner life giving warmth to a cold and random galaxy.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Too much padding and apologizing in the begining and middle for possibly offending someone then posting non offending material.
    No applause for you.
    Fair assessment. Other than the non offending part, that much is dependant on the reader, and I have seen people take offense with less reason.

JonasWalker

Old Newb
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    I really don't want to sound like a dick, but I've tried reading your post multiple times with no success as to discerning what your actually saying. Can anyone who actually was able understand it give a summary?

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I really don't want to sound like a dick, but I've tried reading your post multiple times with no success as to discerning what your actually saying. Can anyone who actually was able understand it give a summary?
    I was literally thinking this exact thing the entire time I wasted reading this.

JonasWalker

Old Newb
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    I was literally thinking this exact thing the entire time I wasted reading this.
    The only thing I can discern is they want to see more 'canon' lore for StarMade. Which I'm unsure about being a good idea considering the relative sandbox nature of it. That and perhaps asking for more encouragement for role-play within the game rather than the somewhat PvP/PvE focus it tends to take. Though its just a guess given the overly verbose, "I have a paper do in two hours", writing which frankly could have probably been said in half a paragraph.

More roleplaying opportunities may exist once NPC factions are a thing, but frankly I'm not expecting deep RPG mechanics here (though still deeper than Fallout 4's :p). Its very likely going to be just enough of a framework to set things up then let players do whatever they want.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    tl;dr The OP has writers in their pocket who can contribute storylines and other lore to Starmade, and they already have ideas, and they already realize that the lore needs to be broad to fit in a sandbox universe.

JonasWalker

Old Newb
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    tl;dr The OP has writers in their pocket who can contribute storylines and other lore to Starmade, and they already have ideas, and they already realize that the lore needs to be broad to fit in a sandbox universe.
    I see. Honestly not sure if thats a good or a bad idea though given most of the fan-ish projects I've seen I'm leaning towards the latter.