The game keeps reseting my keyboard. How do I stop this?

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I had a layout that I am accustomed to and I don't like that when I update the game, it resets the keyboard to something I'm unfamiliar with without warning.

I've tried loading an older copy of my previous keyboard.cfg file but it won't use my custom layout. Does anyone know how to fix this and keep the game from changing it?

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I had a layout that I am accustomed to and I don't like that when I update the game, it resets the keyboard to something I'm unfamiliar with without warning.

I've tried loading an older copy of my previous keyboard.cfg file but it won't use my custom layout. Does anyone know how to fix this and keep the game from changing it?
    Has it done it every update?

And your changing it in the main menu?

Is this through steam?

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Has it done it every update?

And your changing it in the main menu?

Is this through steam?
    Thanks for answering.

This is the second time it's done this after an update. I had to change it back manually last time via the menu; which takes me forever.

It's not through steam; I've been using the same client/client copy for about 5 years.

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Thanks for answering.

This is the second time it's done this after an update. I had to change it back manually last time via the menu; which takes me forever.

It's not through steam; I've been using the same client/client copy for about 5 years.
    There was an update that added the radial menu and it had problems resetting a few things. That's supposed to be fixed now. Keep a back up of your keys and watched exactly what version does it next time, and I'll try to do the same during testing. Let me know if it does it again. We'll try to catch it before release.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    There was an update that added the radial menu and it had problems resetting a few things. That's supposed to be fixed now. Keep a back up of your keys and watched exactly what version does it next time, and I'll try to do the same during testing. Let me know if it does it again. We'll try to catch it before release.
    I was away for a while and apparently skipped an update. This happened to me with the latest update. I got the bright idea to play with sensor logic and display blocks then poof... all controls reset.

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I was away for a while and apparently skipped an update. This happened to me with the latest update. I got the bright idea to play with sensor logic and display blocks then poof... all controls reset.
    Can you send me your settings file. I'll try to repro.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Thanks for looking at this.

I'll probably have to enter the keys manually but your research may help others with a similar issue and/or keep the problem from coming back.

Attachments

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    ...And it happened again.

G

GDPR 302420

...And it happened again.
    One thing you could try is to set your keyboard.cfg and other .cfg files the way you want them using a text editor, then set those files to read only.

The only thing you will need to worry about is if StarMade decides to overwrite the file and make a new one with write permissions enabled. In that case I just keep a backup of my old config files and overwrite them when needed.