THE EXPANSE

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    hello !
    Frankly i don't know who watched the show called "The Expanse".

i find it awsome.

Skylord luke has meda some ship related to the show.

but has anyone been aware that appart from strwars and startrek there are other science-fiction ?

Reactions: Az14el
    Reaction score
    Well, to be honest I've seen a lot of Stargate ships on the dock, some Babylon 5, and I'm sure I've missed a great many ships from other sci-fi movies/series/games.
    I would also like to see the Dark Matter ships, or some older series (for example I wasn't aware of "Lost in Space" and their Jupiter 1 ship - until someone mentioned it to me).

If you'd like you could start like a Sci-Fi roll call thread - with all the titles (movie/series/game) and the respective ships as sub-points :)
    (unless I'm blind and there is one already .. )

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    hello !

i find it awsome.

but has anyone been aware that appart from strwars and startrek there are other science-fiction ?
    Plenty of people (including Skylord Luke) have created ships from Halo. There's quite a few ships from Warhammer 40,000 and our very own Criss is re-creating the ships of Eve Online in Starmade. Just make a few searches on the forums :)

Reaction score
    Scify Ive watched and certainly draw my inspiration from, ordered from high influence to nearly zero: The Expanse, Battlestar Galactica, Dark Matter, Firefly, Stargate, Star Trex, Star Wars.

If you check out my shipyard you see some expanse inspired stuff. My scout Knight and my wip corvette Mantis are heavily inspired, also I made some turrets that aim to remark the railguns. But don't feel exited: My stuff is no replicate stuff and very small.
    JinMs Survival Progression Diary and some ships

Btw. if you ever need more inspiration just type in scify, space and the object you want to design into google picture search. =)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    You know, i made this post so we could talk about athor sci-fi show than starwars and startrek mostly.

Babylone 5 i loved. Firefly is good also, Dark matter is barely good.

But what i want is people to look for inspiration elsewhere.

i mean Science fiction is HUGE !

We have a game that allow us to build WHATEVER and all i see is clones of ships from known shows and the likes.

I would love to see only original design pop up on this thread.

Reactions: Vvolodymyr

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Most of my sci-fi influence comes from books not film

Anne Leckie
    Venor Vinge
    Joan D. Vinge
    Harry Harrison
    Isaac Asimov
    Peter Hamilton
    Hannu Rajaniemi
    Iain M. Banks
    E.E. Doc Smith
    Alan Cole and Chris Bunch
    I could go on and on and on....

most visual sci-fi media leaves me cold with the exception of the First Ones' ships from the last good series of B5 and Robotech that I used to watch on Saturday mornings.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Cool - I'd also like to see ships inspired by different sci-fi shows/movies/books/etc :)

Like - a pic of a ship and a pic or 2 of what inspired it.

Sadly I'm not basing my designs on anything,... yet :)

P.S. As a gater, I also enjoy seeing ships from my favorite show though.

CheerZ
    [doublepost=1491486418,1491485970][/doublepost]
    Most of my sci-fi influence comes from books not film

Anne Leckie
    Venor Vinge
    Joan D. Vinge
    Harry Harrison
    Isaac Asimov
    Peter Hamilton
    Hannu Rajaniemi
    Iain M. Banks
    Doc E.E. Smith
    Alan Cole and Chris Bunch
    I could go on and on and on....

most visual sci-fi media leaves me cold with the exception of the First Ones' ships from the last good series of B5 and Robotech that I used to watch on Saturday mornings.
    Awesome!
    I had a rather large scifi book collection (overall ~1000 book library). I read just a few - but also enjoyed the cover art. A lot can be found on isfdb and on pinterest.

I'd totally want to see ships inspired by
    Peter F Hamilton (Confederation, Void, Fallen Dragon)
    Iain M Banks (The Algebraist has a variety (especially the sick cultist emperor "Idiot on Board" Capital ship :) lol )
    Alastair Reynold's ships from Revelation Space and Poseidon's Children
    L.E. Modesitt has very good ship descriptions as well
    the possibilities are endless ! :)

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm absolutely hooked to The Expanse right now, but also watched and absolutely loved BSG (the entire remake and some of the old one), and I practically grew up watching Babylon 5, Stargate and Star Trek TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT (although I do find Star Trek's plot too "easy" and characters too simplified, compared to the rest of the shows.)
    Gotta say I'm in love with The Expanse, both the show and the books, for keeping it as real as possible for a space opera, with no BS magical artificial gravity, energy shields and weapons, and fully Newtonian physics and realistic weaponry that are even integral to the plot. The ships are so well designed and detailed to the smallest little nuance (like using plants in the air recyclers and hiding them in the furniture and walls to spare space, or sucking out the air from the interior of a small gunship before battle so perforation of the hull doesn't cause explosive decompression) that the whole tech looks like a believable evolution of our current tech level.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I've never seen anyone make Nell from Battle Beyond the Stars. :)

[doublepost=1491493033,1491492556][/doublepost]My favorite series, by which I compare all other sci-fi, has become BSG. I'm keeping an eye on "The Expanse," but they're only in season 2, and I think it has more growing up to do yet.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

[doublepost=1491493033,1491492556][/doublepost]My favorite series, by which I compare all other sci-fi, has become BSG. I'm keeping an eye on "The Expanse," but they're only in season 2, and I think it has more growing up to do yet.
    I remember that because in the movie the ship looked like it had breasts.

Thinking about it, I really liked Space Above and Beyond too. I prefer the original BSG to the reboot. Once it became a "are they, aren't they" show I lost interest.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4

It will take a courageous builder to build Nell. Nobody wants to mess up her perfect breasts.

Edit: It made my day when someone uploaded the Blake 7 ship recently.

Reaction score
    i have a rocinante bp i use as a close range brawler; its not faithful to the show though.

Reaction score
    I've always wanted to build a Red Dwarf, or a Blue Midget, and maybe even a season 7 version of the starbug (the huge one)

I think Red Dwarf is 5km long though. And a freaking asteroid is part of its underbelly...

Also, I don't know how I'd be able to replicate an entire species of hominid evolving from a house cat...

I could probably replicate Holly with regex, and just have an extra screen with a crudely drawn face of a balding man lol

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    hello !

i find it awsome.

Oh yes! I love the show. If you know the story arc, there is some really awesome stuff coming. ;)
    [doublepost=1491517988,1491517661][/doublepost]I'm a slow builder, so anything I like from Sci-Fi is something I've shy'd away from due to time. Although, I did build my favorite ship from one of my old fav games of the past to see if I could.
    Elite Cobra Mk III Classic
    Elite Cobra Mk III Classic

Reactions: Az14el
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think Red Dwarf is 5km long though. And a freaking asteroid is part of its underbelly...
    According to the novels, Red Dwarf is 5k wide and 10k long. During construction, the gravity well created by it's extreme mass caused a nearby asteroid to collide with it. Rather than try to tow it away, the Jupiter Mining Corp just incorporated it into the hull as it saved on time and materials.

Also, I don't know how I'd be able to replicate an entire species of hominid evolving from a house cat...
    It might take you 3 million years or so ;)

Reactions: Brokengauge
    Reaction score
    According to the novels, Red Dwarf is 5k wide and 10k long. During construction, the gravity well created by it's extreme mass caused a nearby asteroid to collide with it. Rather than try to tow it away, the Jupiter Mining Corp just incorporated it into the hull as it saved on time and materials.

It might take you 3 million years or so ;)
    I couldn't remember if I got the 5km from when they changed its design.

Such a huge mistake. I'm glad they went back to the original lol