Technical Features

Reaction score
    You should add it so that it automatically rotates the view point. For instance, I put a gravity block inside my cargo ship. It worked until I hit the ground. When I hit the ground, the ship moved, the gravity changed, and I couldn't adjust my viewport so it was correct. Another thing is I just wanted to make sure you knew! When two lights shine on a surface, it is not the Light A + Light B. The correct formula is max(Light A, Light B). Thanks!

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Camera orientation is still a bit buggy in that version. For the next version however, that is already fixed.

When two lights schine on a surface, they are afaik added together ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RGB_illumination.jpg )
    I'm going to try, to make the lighting more smooth. I already normalized the function for gathering (from light sources), next I'm going to normalize the light per vertex.
    cheers,
    schema

Reaction score
    That's true. I don't know, but, there is something unrealistic about the lighting. The equation that I use for my game is:

dx = abs(x-lightx)
    dy = abs(y-lighty)
    d=math.sqrt(dx*dx+dy*dy)
    if d

Reaction score
    The code messed up:

dx = abs(x-lightx)

dy = abs(y-lighty)

d=math.sqrt(dx*dx+dy*dy)

if d

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Looks right.
    The problem is, that I do not calculate lighting that that way. I'm using ambient occlusion to calculate 'lighting' blocks. This way, light will be blocked by obstacles. It't kind of an opposite approach to the normal lighting.

This is a pretty good article about it:
    http://codeflow.org/entries/2010/dec/09/minecraft-like-rendering-experiments-in-opengl-4/

My method differs a bit from that version though to save memory and processing.