Brainstorm This Taxi service (extension of another idea)

Reaction score
    This is not really taken from this post but I had a thought that it would be really, really nice if players could hire a taxi to take them to faction bases that were not hostile.

My justification for this is that tonight I have my mother in law, one of the younger cousins, sister in law, girlfriend and 5 year old son over for his birthday.

If I had a way to get them to my faction station, these casual players, I could show them how to hop on a turret and we would fly around and fight pirates. That would lower the barrier to entry for the casuals and non-ship building folks.

I think they are out there. I think this game could really benefit from creating a level of play for nonbuilders.

Reaction score
    I'd love to hear more opinions and ideas on this. AI or Player based services, missions systems, rewards you might earn, contracts, etc.

Reaction score
    Off the top of my head :

Station only block - Taxi Stand. It acts as a docking station for the taxi ships, which are 10x20 passenger jump craft. If your faction hq has a taxi stand, players at a taxi stand will see it as a destination.

Taxis would be dynamic. If you use a taxi stand, the taxi comes and waits. You get in, you tell it where you want to go and it goes. If you don't get in and someone else calls it, it goes.

Taxis would be attacked by pirates. You can drop money to make them not attack you. The taxi would try to out run and recharge the jump drive. Taxis can die. If they are damaged they will despawn and a new taxi will replace it when it's idle.

Taxis are yellow with a black and white checkered stripe.

They have a light on the top that is either on, off or blinking.

They have a weird aroma of pine tree dangling air freshener, sweat and a hint of vomit.

The automated AI has a slavic accent.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    What about using an NPC instead of a specific block? If you need transport to somewhere, you can talk to them, and they summon a ship from the blueprints avalible to the faction they belong to. You could also use it to transport cargo from place to place, without needing to make the runs yourself.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    What about a Personal/Astronaut Teleportation Structure Placed on Stations wich allows Ally Faction Personel to Travel from Base 2 Base.

It could have a menu to choose avaible destinations (stations) wich could be edited to allow ally faction astronauts to travel between stations using a teleportation station.

They would require energy to operate, and could have a huge energy drain and cooldown, would love to see a block that does that, with sparky and shiny white n blue effects when an astronaut is completly transported to the destination choosen from a small menu that opens when you use the Teleport Station to jump to another base, a max sector reach per jump would make it balanced along with a high energy consume and cooldown, just like Jump Drive Portals for ships, but for astronauts.

A block that can be placed on the ground would to a great job, also it could make astronauts teleport inside the station rooms too.

mmm, interesting...

Could look like this:

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    sounds like a gate...
    [DOUBLEPOST=1425126600,1425126500][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, this *is* sort of a spaceship game :P But ya, I am still pushing for a sort of teleportation system (more of a local usage thing though, ship to ship, ship to planet sort of stuff)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I thought it could differ with the classic space game, guess you are right, keeping it out of the uber tech SyFy Zone would be better like u said.

hallways and lifters are in-game already for a reason xD hahaha

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    As with all suggestions floating about regarding convenience features, I say do not implement them. Let players implement them, in-game, by giving us the tools to do so. Simply putting a taxi system in the game might be easier, but there can't be hard-coded solutions for every conceivable annoyance. A core mechanic allowing players to solve their own problems would not clog the game down as much, and would not only help with particular issues like this, but create a meaningful concept of infrastructure beyond "having lots of ships".

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    What?...you couldn't pick your family up at the airport yourself? You Monster! :eek: