Systems 2.0 Wiki Pages

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I've started dumping some brief header stubs into the official wiki covering core Systems 2.0 concepts, starting from Reactors.

Please feel free to jump in, it hasn't been updated for a long while and needs a lot of help.

I am focusing on giving succinct, meaningful overviews of systems right now, without going into any numbers or getting bogged down in complex relationships. I feel we should keep the complex elaborations to the main body of each page and focus on making the header as succinct and informative as possible for someone not familiar with the game. I'm also not investing in details because they are still so fluid; communicating the general function and relationships of each new element should be sufficient for now unless someone just has time to burn writing in details that will likely need re-writing within a month or two.

I'm also looking to modify the wiki main page a bit to cater more to new players, assuming that veteran players can search and navigate better, as they at least know what they are looking for. I'm not sure who retains permissions for that though. Currently, you hit the main page and it looks great, but all you get are community links and meta data about; the first 3 general information links just go to the same page, which literally repeats what is on the main (so the description in the main should be removed and players can find the description in the linked page, IMO). When you land there, there is very little information that could be immediately helpful in finding your way as a new player. Server admins get more love on the main wiki page than new players seeking knowledge. It would be nice if we could put in "where to start for dummies" and "shipbuilding 101" pages at least...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Could you make a stub for that "Getting Started" page, and I'll get to work on it?

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    There is a "Getting Started" already in the wiki and it needs help.

We also need a super-stupid-simple "starmade for dummies" startup page as well as a more detailed, analytical startup guide.

The main thing about that I was looking it was getting the "Getting Started" and some kind of "Dummies Guide" prominently featured at the top of the wiki main/landing page so that when noobs show up looking for guidance it basically slaps them in the face.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hooof. That getting started page is both really long, and as out of date as everything else.

I'm gonna try to dig up the "Starmade for dummies" page and see if that fairs any better.
    [doublepost=1525379425,1525379375][/doublepost]There isn't actually a "starmade for dummies" page as far as I can tell after a quick search. If one exists would you mind linking that as well MacThule?

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    There isn't one. There never has been. I have a rough outline for one - I will post when I get it drafted, but it's hard going. The game isn't really for dummies at all.

Reactions: petlahk
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The game isn't really for dummies at all.
    This is true. I was just finishing up some bug reports. I'm gonna do some more minor weapons testing and then get to work on the reactors page.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    i've been putting off working on the wiki for some time (mostly cuz power 2.0 and the dumpster fire that happen after killed most of my enthusiasm for the game) but i definitely could help organize a lot of these edits.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    i've been putting off working on the wiki for some time (mostly cuz power 2.0 and the dumpster fire that happen after killed most of my enthusiasm for the game) but i definitely could help organize a lot of these edits.
    I'm currently working on the reactor page. Trying to lay it out better and cut down on information that would be extra words for new players.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I'm currently working on the reactor page. Trying to lay it out better and cut down on information that would be extra words for new players.
    i'll take a look at it later. Im gonna make the block images for the block pages hopefully i'll get the done by today.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Thanks, Crimson-Artist & petlahk!

I know some of the community members put a lot of work into the wiki previously and it's totally understandable that the resource has fallen into disrepair with the recent chaos of the overhaul making it impossible to even describe systems (not to mention the fallout effect on morale).

I am happy to help out when & where I can; I'm a decent copywriter/copyeditor, but I know there are better wiki editors here than I am. So for now I'm going to focus on mapping stubs, writing briefs, and trying to make pages that are helpful and informative for new players and novices.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Crimson-Artist Also, could you rename some of the blocks that have been changed when you do the info boxes? If it's within your ability. For example, Power_Reactor_Module should be renamed to it's new name more along the lines of Power_Reactor_Module.

Als0, to any devs seeing this. Could we maybe get this stickied as a generalized wiki-editing talk page?
    [doublepost=1525385272,1525384573][/doublepost]General To-Dos:

- Add new block pages and default infoboxes for those blocks
    - Edit the names and default infoboxes for blocks whose names and uses have changed
    - Update the wiki manual of style page to help less-experienced wikiers like me figure out how to do the above two things. StarMade Wiki:Manual of Style - StarMade Wiki
    - Re-do the pages for the large systems such as shields, reactors, and thrusters.
    - Add new pages about mecahnics for things such as integrity, and stabilizers
    - At some point create an "advanced building" page for ships and ship systems. This would include examples similar to minecraft's advanced redstone page. Might also be latter sections in systems pages, however this is not a main priority right now.
    - Create the "Shipbuilding 101" page. We should not call it "Shipbuilding for dummies" as this may give new players the impression that we're a bunch of old people obsessed with artificial entry barriers gatekeeping. (Which we are, but new players need not know this.) Priority

Last edited:
    Reactions: Crimson-Artist

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Crimson-Artist Also, could you rename some of the blocks that have been changed when you do the info boxes? If it's within your ability. For example, Power_Reactor_Module should be renamed to it's new name more along the lines of Power_Reactor_Module.

Als0, to any devs seeing this. Could we maybe get this stickied as a generalized wiki-editing talk page?
    [doublepost=1525385272,1525384573][/doublepost]General To-Dos:

- Add new block pages and default infoboxes for those blocks
    - Edit the names and default infoboxes for blocks whose names and uses have changed
    - Update the wiki manual of style page to help less-experienced wikiers like me figure out how to do the above two things. StarMade Wiki:Manual of Style - StarMade Wiki
    - Re-do the pages for the large systems such as shields, reactors, and thrusters.
    - At some point create an "advanced building" page for ships and ship systems. This would include examples similar to minecraft's advanced redstone page. Might also be latter sections in systems pages, however this is not a main priority right now.
    - Create the "Shipbuilding 101" page. We should not call it "Shipbuilding for dummies" as this may give new players the impression that we're a bunch of old people obsessed with artificial entry barriers gatekeeping. (Which we are, but new players need not know this.) Priority
    Already on it

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    That is going to be a lot. An option is to simply scrape together all the dev announcements regarding changes to the build UI and attempt to forge those into a coherent page.
    Yeah. I really don't think it's a huge priority right now. I'd say, just link to that page. Stick somewhere on it "This page is outdated" and let 'em figure it out for now.
    [doublepost=1525387941,1525387781][/doublepost]I think I might be able to get DukeOfRealms to run the wiki-icon-creation-bot again soon.
    [doublepost=1525390509][/doublepost]Should a Turret Construction tutorial go under Tutorial/Rails, or Tutorial/Turret Construction?

Also, I think we should maintain the Tutorial/[Name] precedent.

Tutorials/Advanced Shipbuilding - StarMade Wiki

Starmade 101 should just be an updated version of the Tutorials/Getting Started page.

I think we should also have a Tutorials/Basic Shipbuilding. But I almost wonder if we should just stick with one.... Nah, lets go for both?? (I'm new at this, can you tell?)

Also, new reactor page:

Reactors - StarMade Wiki

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Crimson-Artist Could we simply the "Reactor Stream Node" name and change the page name to "Power Node" seeing as that's what it's called in game?

Nevermind. You were right, I was being dumb. The game does have it being called a really long name.

Working on the power block now.
    [doublepost=1525394625,1525394211][/doublepost]Hrmmmphhrmrmrmppphp
    [doublepost=1525394793][/doublepost]Crimson-Artist This is getting confusing.
    [doublepost=1525396131][/doublepost]Crimson-Artist Okay. An actual useful ping this time. Could you please start putting images in your info box templates? It's |image = [[file: example.png]] |
    [doublepost=1525396446][/doublepost]Also the name.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Should a Turret Construction tutorial go under Tutorial/Rails, or Tutorial/Turret Construction?
    Turret. Because if you want to do a rails tutorial you'll want to focus on everything else rails do - doors, moving parts, shuttles, elevators, etc.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Turret. Because if you want to do a rails tutorial you'll want to focus on everything else rails do - doors, moving parts, shuttles, elevators, etc.
    sounds good.

Uhh. How do I delete/merge wiki posts?
    [doublepost=1525403362,1525402333][/doublepost]
    Add new block pages and default infoboxes for those blocks
    - Did some editing of the infoboxes. Added a few myself. In the future make sure that you add an image to the infobox templates with | Image = [[File:Example.PNG]] | and uploading the relevant image if it isn't there already.
    - Created the following pages:
    Reactors - StarMade Wiki
    Shield System - StarMade Wiki

I categorized the first two under Tutorials, and added Category:Tutorials to the Thrusters page so as to make the section about the Thrusters panel more visible. I don't think the Thrusters page needs any serious updating though (thank god).

- Created the following dedicated tutorial pages:
    Tutorials/Basic Shipbuilding - StarMade Wiki
    Tutorials/Advanced Shipbuilding - StarMade Wiki
    Tutorials/Turrets - StarMade Wiki

- The Tutorials/Getting Started page still needs updating. I think I'm gonna go rip out a bunch of junk and restructure it while I do the midnight laundry.

Edit/Note:
    Those tutorial pages aren't filled in at all yet. I just wanted to make sure you all know what I named them.
    [doublepost=1525403648][/doublepost]- Also Created:
    System Integrity - StarMade Wiki

And, again, Crimson, could you please delete/merge/shift/rename the Power_Main Infoboxes and Page to Reactor_Power seeing as that's what the block is actually called?

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    petlahk when you add the block images for pages you don't have to add the file name of the block image into infobox. That template will automatically use an image that has the same name as the page.

This is why I try to keep the block names as close to their in-game names as possible.