Syntic [rp][scifi city build][inactive]

Reaction score
    (atm. this faction is inactive. It is likely that I try to revive the faction, maybe with an altered idea, after Starmade got some updates)
    (update, 15.10.2017: made a new faction)

"Syntic - building stuff together."

Hey guys,

we have a rp-citybuild faction on GenXnova going, and welcome you guys to join.

Short Description

We are a scify city build faction. PvP is welcomed, as everyone likes to blow up stuff from time to time. =)

We try not to limit building with our rules, and we are not forced for citybuild only. Shipbuilding - maybe even together - is a big part too.
    The overall city concept should not be ignored and recognised first (even though you are not forced to build on the city if you want to join us).

The concept is aimed for people who like to build smaller, but detailed, in an bigger environment with others together. It's for people who often like to build this or that small thing, and not a very big station (or ship) all at once. It is for players who like to build a very small part, but don't want it to feel out of place, because this station part you build, actually needs a whole station to make sense and would feel useless without its contextual sourounding buildings.

The 25x25 bulding plots new players are getting offered are only a suggestion, you are free to build anything:
    - within a reasonable size compared to the actual city size
    - the city starts with a diameter of 175 meter, and will be expanded as soon as we run out of building space; our maximum will be a diameter of 450m.
    - Stick within the overall concept explained further below.
    - we dont crave for gigantism, but you are not restricted from building big too. As long as the big building doesn't take over too much of the current city.
    - we try not to interfer into each others building style, and don't expect a builder to adapt to another build style when we build on something together, but we don't build out of place neither.

There is allways this fine line between explaining what the goals of a faction are, and that the interested guy doesn't feel like his creativity will be limited. We really try to not stick too hard to some rules and favor common sense over too much regulations. This just becomes tedious to manage after some time. We also don't expect you to be an advanced builder, and you don't need to build as detailed as others do in the faction. But a rp buildstyle that favors detail over size is the overall goal, and should be your interest as well.

Rules

- Use display blocks for labeling, when you walk around in your constructions: what does this button (if it is for everyday use, like lightswitches, or cool stuff like activating a rotating radar, but not stuff like complex logic no one else will use), whats thats ships name, when was it build, who build this house, what's the name of this road, where does this underground walkway lead, guiding signs when you enter a area so you know where to walk, what is this for a room in this house.
    - We want to use faction and public permission modules for any doors, docks or suitable buttons. We want that big parts of the city are accessible for public usage. Use public permission modules often, and use guiding signs and stuff.
    - Have some sort of roleplay-building style (anything goes as long as a man can see: hey this is an rp build style),
    - We are not bound to the city building, ship builders are welcomed and every other taste like logic and stuff. Also it's not an order to build mainly on the city. You are free to if you like, but the only thing that minimally required is, that you build yourself a home on one of the 25x25 plates, or in a comparable size at the optional home spots in the sky, underground or growing out of the bottom of the city.
    - For each member counts: ships above 80m lenght are not meant to be parked in or on the city (well short time ok, but whatever, we cant do it for everyone you know :D), and can find their place at our docks. Common sense on ships please, we are not a harbor or a spaceship that has a city docked onto it. At the docks we like to have not more than 4 ships per city member above 1/3 of city diameters lenght; and consider using an outpost for any ship thats bigger than 2/3 of the actual city diameter (atm 175m = bigger than 140m is outpost worthy).
    - The shipyard is meant to be usable for everyone at all time, loaded designs and constructions can be unloaded at all time.

Building concept:

The entire station is a city, where houses are build on the surface ontop of one half of a rocky/metallic sphere, and where people can build underground constructions or homes as well. Those underground constructs are connected to a underground walkway infrastructure, that our members are required to take care of. Some underground objects can extend out of the under side of the city. From the center of the city will rise a pillar where at its end a radial station expands the building possibilities further for free floating structures.

This sphere has an initial diameter of 175 meter, and if we need more space for new projects, we are just expanding the bottom shell of the half sphere. It's totally okay to build over the rim of the city, but when we have several buildings that go over the rim, some new outer border is important and every member is required to expand this ring if he is a heavy builder. Example: After 2 months we decide that the city is too small, and we destroy the old rock rim and build a new one for a 250m diamter. I have many easy templates so it shouldn't take too long.

I made an overal 25x25 grid concept and plotted a basic city plan, because I have some ideas where I want to put some of my planned projects (like an underground hangar, and a central faction skyscraper that has a small city model in the scale 1:8 in it). So if you want to start building, you tell me what you need and where you want to build it, most of the space above and underground is free to use.

The building plots I offer for new guys are for orientation and you are free to build in different shapes. I mean I have never seen a city where each house is 25x25 =). But I also never have seen a city where a house just goes one half into the main street. Please keep the city feeling alive... On the other hand I have seen, that main streets sometimes just take an underground road and then some gardens are build on the freed surface.

Sometimes people build statues that are as high as skyscrappers, or shipwrecks that float in the air. Sometimes we spot a medieval ship in the harbor, or some steampunk house in the middle of the beton jungle. Also robots, tanks and mechas are walking on the streets or chill somewhere, and in the skyline you sometimes see small ships that are floating around. I hope this examples help you understand.

Conceptual Sketch so you get a better idea:
    syntic drawing3.png

Ideas/Brainstorm

Embassies: An interested allied faction gets a docked building area, where it can build an object of its own preference and style (even medieval is ok if someone likes to :D ). The following stuff needs to be included:
    - Faction infos: Members, Leader, Coordinates, Playstyle; Embassy builder; Building Date; interested into trading? pvp? roleplay? building together? chatting and hanging around?
    - Message Board so guys can post on a public message board

Open building board: So you build yourself a nice big ship, and it needs some interior like a shower or a kitchen. But you are absolutely bored of this big project and want to busy yourself elsewhere. Still you feel that it needs this or that additional stuff or finishing touch. Why not post it on a black board and maybe some other member joins you in your building and helps you out.

Inofficial Faction levels: Depending on the actions of a faction member, you get some points. More points let you get the next faction level. With a certain ammount of points you are getting the right to obtain some modules for you personal ship or your personal home. With even more points you get a statue build. Actions: Trade with other factions, find allies, Make some consensual competetive pvp with other factions within some rules (like 5k mass maximum...), build an outpost, provide a certain ammount of needed ressources for either safety outpost storage or factions storage...

PVP/Diplomacy/Internal Politics and Ranks

PVP happens without regulations, until we decide, that we need to. That depends on our diplomatic status with other factions, and if we want to regulate those relations.

When it comes to faction internal decissions I try to take each faction members vote into account. But I really don't wait for each guy and ask you what you want. If you need something say it. If you weren't online you still could have asked some other member what's new, and take care of your interests via the multiple communication channels. I expect you to speak up and say if you want something, so I have a chance to take care of it. Being mad at me out of the blue is something I really don't like, because I try to do my best as long as the opponent says what he wants. This works the other way around too.

Depending on your trustworthyness we have different ranks:
    Citizen (rank 4): Can use the factories, gets a 25x25 docked building spot, and gets every help from all the members. We provide starter ships and materials to build.
    Trustee (rank 3): Has building access to the outposts of the city (not the emergency ones only regulars: on genxova you are not allowed to grief unprotected outposts in the pve area), and is allowed to access all the ships of the faction.
    Architect (rank 2): Has building access to the city. It's the factions goal to have as many as possible members in this rank. Able to post faction news and regulate factions relations.
    Administrative Custodian (rank 1): Can set the faction HB, can invite new members. Can set the members ranks eventually.

Saving of work

Starmade has many ways of loosing your creative work. I highly suggest you save your own progress often.

Non the less I save the factions city often as blueprint. In case of a curruption or a griefer, we can back it up and the admin on Genxova might spawn it in again.

On servers without caring admins we try to have some outposts that have the neccessary materials to restore the Homebase in case of a loss. Their coords would be kept secret within the highest faction circle.

Joining us

When we first meet the first thing we communicate about is your previous experience in creative games. Offering some screenshots or something you have build would be really helping. We want to play with seasoned players with some experience about Starmade (at least 2 months, including how to play in multiplayer). As building in Starmade is time intensive and advanced building is really hard, we really don't expect you to be an advanced builder.

The core concept of the homebase look is planned and I have more ideas. But I am allways welcomming feedback and changing ideas. Even though the core concept wont be changed drastically (City as a cut open half-sphere and an allready worked out grid where we distribute the buildings onto).

Last words

I am not very interested into managing or building all the stuff alone, so I try to distribute duties as soon as it makes sense and I feel I know the persons.

If you are interested just hit me up via pm or write into the topic. Have a nice day.

Some pictures of my previous work:
    Link to my shipyard thread.
    An example of my actual work, the CRV Mantis. starmade-screenshot-0558.png Proof of concept of the sides of the city sphere starmade-screenshot-0494.png Thats how the city looks in plain setting. The 25x25 squares are meant to be removed and filled with whatever stuff the faction member likes to. Some plates can be made into doors and lead into sunken in hangars. If a member likes to he even can search himself a spot underground.
    The rail docking line you see there is a proof of concept for a tram (yes I even have some ideas for this one :D). starmade-screenshot-0497.png

Inspirational images:
    Edge City by Alex Andreyev | Fantasy | 2D | CGSociety

Create a sci fy city Mark White

The City in the Sky Concept by Hrama | Design, The shape and Sustainable design

ALIEN horror sci-fi futuristic dark aliens creature survival monster poster spaceship

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/6/63715/2093679-dark_city_528_poster.jpg

Weiterleitungshinweis

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I updated the faction's description and hope that some more people lurk into this thread. =)

Reaction score
    Hey guys the city evolved a little, and so I updated the pictures and the description of it.

New stuff: Factory, an underground hangar entrance with a nice Starship Troopers style lowering door, and the Docks.

Reaction score
    I rewrote the faction description completly, as the old was a little confusing, didn't transfer the freedom of build possibilities, and might have given a very regulated plotted building impression.

Reaction score
    This faction is only going to exist on genxnova?
    No, if we like to, we make some bases on other servers. If a faction member likes to, he is free to settle anywhere.

I sometimes play on Brierie, depending if I like to build or have more pvp. Basically I settle at servers that have a high population or/and helpful admins. But I didn't set up a base on Brierie and play in another builder faction there.

Atm. "we" are 2 rather inactive guys and me. So settling somewhere else is possible, but not that big of a benefit, even if we do it on Brierie. And on Brierie we would go only for the pvp and some diversity. Anayway about the low member count: We are not that much but the faction in itsself is able to work. Sadly the Starmade playerbase is very small so I can't really blame it on me. I often ask when I log onto the servers if someone likes to join a city build faction. But I am pretty sure, that the taste in building I have, is very rare in the current Starmade playerbase with so many other alternatives: PVPers, shipbuilders, some builders that like bigger scales, some "I want my own station" guys, and many build-uninterested people. I still build on the station though, because I designed the faction and station just around that what I liked to build and would like to see other people joining it.

I had to start the faction at Genxova, because when the former development version had many bugs, it was only possible to play Starmade on servers, where admins would backup your station in case of a bug. Also the community is very helpful and friendly at genx, greeting you and helping new players out even with the worst questions. Even though it is far away from Europe, I don't notice the ping. And for PVP there is Brierie. =)

Do you have another server to suggest or what are your thoughts behind your question?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Light Vs Dark has been increasing in population as well recently.

Reaction score
    Light Vs Dark has been increasing in population as well recently.
    Yeah if this trend stays this stable for the next 2 weeks they might be a nice opportunity. I really don't like the total anarchy pvp on Brierie. But anarchy pvp is better than no pvp at all. :D