Syllables

Reaction score
    As you might know, since the universe update the game automatically generates names for systems. Those are composed of syllables specified in the file data/config/systemNames.syl. I took the liberty of taking a look at it.

The first thing to notice is that the file basically can be split up into three sections. There are lines starting with '-' (followed by a syllable), the syllable, and '+' (also followed by a syllable).
    Operating under the (very safe) assumption that syllables where chosen in a way that makes system names sound very similar to those known to us from (i.e.) real life, it can be concluded that those lines starting with '-' denote prefixes ("capri", "pega", "alpha", "ome"), and those starting with '+' denote suffixes ("peia", "major", "ius", "frey"). Thus, the others should appear somewhere in the middle of generated names.

The next thing to notice are those "-/+v/c" things that can be found in some lines. We know that syllables are concatenated according to some yet unknown rules, I therefore conclude that these represent those rules. Since there are only the letters C and V to be found, I assume that these represent associations with consonants and vowels, respectively.
    Looking specifically at the prefix/suffix specifications I noticed that the prefix specs only contain '+' associations, and the suffix specs only '-' rules. Conclusion:
    • +v: syllable is followed by a vowel
    • -v: syllable follows a vowel
    • +c: syllable is followed by a consonant
    • -c syllable follows a consonant

Fun fact: According to my conclusions, these rules do indeed allow a system to be named "Gallifrey". ("-ga", "lli -v +c", "+frey -v")

Use this information to have system names themed to your favorite scifi universe, and let me know if it works out for you.

Unknown info:
    • Number of syllables used.

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Haha, I saw the config too. There were a lot of values, and I didn't really know what to do with it all. The system names are already quite impressive and sometimes hard to pronounce.

This was actually one of the best features implemented in the new universe to be honest. But then again, I always seem to love the smallest stuff most :D

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    As you might know, since the universe update the game automatically generates names for systems. Those are composed of syllables specified in the file data/config/systemNames.syl. I took the liberty of taking a look at it.

The first thing to notice is that the file basically can be split up into three sections. There are lines starting with '-' (followed by a syllable), the syllable, and '+' (also followed by a syllable).
    Operating under the (very safe) assumption that syllables where chosen in a way that makes system names sound very similar to those known to us from (i.e.) real life, it can be concluded that those lines starting with '-' denote prefixes ("capri", "pega", "alpha", "ome"), and those starting with '+' denote suffixes ("peia", "major", "ius", "frey"). Thus, the others should appear somewhere in the middle of generated names.

The next thing to notice are those "-/+v/c" things that can be found in some lines. We know that syllables are concatenated according to some yet unknown rules, I therefore conclude that these represent those rules. Since there are only the letters C and V to be found, I assume that these represent associations with consonants and vowels, respectively.
    Looking specifically at the prefix/suffix specifications I noticed that the prefix specs only contain '+' associations, and the suffix specs only '-' rules. Conclusion:
    • +v: syllable is followed by a vowel
    • -v: syllable follows a vowel
    • +c: syllable is followed by a consonant
    • -c syllable follows a consonant

Fun fact: According to my conclusions, these rules do indeed allow a system to be named "Gallifrey". ("-ga", "lli -v +c", "+frey -v")

Use this information to have system names themed to your favorite scifi universe, and let me know if it works out for you.

Unknown info:
    • Number of syllables used.
    This might be a very, very stupid question, but what is Gallifrey?