Sustainable Development for StarMade (more money more programmer)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I don't know how is the current sales volume for StarMade
    But I'd want to suggest a method of Schine to have stable income month by month.

Hosting Paid Servers !!

As we all know, hosting server for StarMade requires
    a bit deep learning curve on linux (most VPS/standalone server)
    And there don't have enough official support/tutorial on this
    Which makes it hard for kids to host and play starmade with their friends
    Yes i know StarMade is a bit hard for kids to play with, the learning curve.....
    But we all know kids have the most spare money on having fun, and they have more time to spend on games

So I suggest Schine to host server and take monthly payment via google play/itunes
    The methods that can let kids to buy points from convenience stores, require no credit cards.

Maybe several different plans, and give good support(eg. update server version as soon as release)
    1.) Build server for single player
    Allow up to xxxxxxxxxx blocks, player could connect to its own single server
    to "cloud" build their ships/stations via home computer/net cafe/school.
    Charges monthly, price depends on the block limit.
    2.) Small survive/creative multiplayer server
    Still have block limit, and player limit, just like normal rental server but with complete support for starmade
    3.)International multiplayer server
    monthly subscription, allow player to play on a big international server without block limit(like EVE?)
    And this server can also host different kinds of paid user events

For more, Schine can receive more crash report to further develop StarMade.
    Since StarMade crash so much, not all server owner will submit the reports everytime

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You think the whining is hardcore now? Wait until full entitlement mode sets in when folks are paying for ongoing access. Server wipe for an update?
    (said in the voice of Matchstick from Borderlands 2)
    What about all my progress? I didn't save bps!
    OMG bait and switch the server is so laggy!
    Why cant I leave this logic M/M battery near spawn?!
    Schine is clearly favoring faction Epeen420latincrap because he made a visit!

Just no.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    As we all know, hosting server for StarMade requires
    a bit deep learning curve on linux (most VPS/standalone server)
    And there don't have enough official support/tutorial on this
    It's actually quite easy to set up, I have a spare computer that was used for running a minecraft server that I used as my Starmade server.
    There's plenty tutorials available for how to set up a Starmade server too.
    The only part that is "hard" is port forwarding which I already had to do for many steam games.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I can see maybe an official server some time in the future, if sales are solid and steady, allowing Schine to afford a server admin and a server with all the bandwidth. However, that's a long ways off, when Schine is maybe focused on maintaining a large player base. (For now, we are a small, tight-knit player base that is alpha-testing the game, with only enough sales to support the current small team.)

Sustainability? Pay-to-play on a game where you have the option of creating your own server with enough work eventually devolves into pay-to-win. With the wide range of customizability that Schine is envisioning for its game, I don't foresee enough players paying to play on an official server, to make it self-sustaining.

The idea of a centralized crash-report source for them to find and fix bugs is compelling, but there are dedicated tester volunteers who should be providing a reliable source of crash reports. They seem to be doing a really great job of digging deep and finding bugs that a normal player won't encounter.

Reactions: Lone_Puppy