Read by Council Suggestion for integrated logic in starmade

Fellow Starmadian

Oh cool so thats what this is
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Problem:
    While working on my logic projects, I thought to myself: "God, there's so many blocks here. Will it slow down clients just based on block count alone?" Now I don't know the specifics about what causes lag when logic is enabled, but I figured it would help everyone if there was a way to turn bunches of logic into an IC.

Solution:
    The way I figure it, rendering requirements are a large part of logic lag, what with all the blinking / updating logic blocks. So if you made all that virtual so no one needed to have it loaded, wouldn't that reduce lag for large stuff like my CGOF circuit and my arcade console? Imagine the huge Conway circuit cut down to only 1 block instead of 100 for an 8 input binary adder! Even if it is only a small application like a door opening and closing, compacting a lot of the logic into a single block would cut down drastically on the area needed to hide the logic. The USD dock, for example, could have a plethora of extra features if this new block was added.

Explanation:
    Basically my idea is to add a special block we shall call an IC. To create the logic for said IC, you would make a ship with structure hull, display blocks, etc. and of course the all important logic. To control the input / output, simply use another new block that is basically an activator but is nameable. We'll call it a variable activator. Attach the variable activator block to all your input / outputs, and give them unique names. Once the circuit is completed, save it as a blueprint and head to your IC block. Use the IC's menu to select the desired circuit blueprint, and load it into the block. To conclude the process, simply connect some more of those variable activators to the IC, and rename them the same names you chose earlier when designing the circuit. It would probably be a good idea to display the variable activator's names from the blueprint.

So, what do you, the members of the board, think?

ToasterBorst

Formerly known as Weishaupt
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Wired for Logic
    A somewhat similar suggestion discussion was also recently posted and has been bumped to the Council (Read by Council - Logic Proposals). Any chance you'd be willing to post this along with your take on that discussion there, to centralize the discussion on logic improvements for the Council and hopefully Schine? Great suggestion though, apparently some of the general concepts here have entered the communal consciousness.