Storage cannot be connected to a Rail Turret Axis. (Intentional?)

Reaction score
    With the cargo entity transfer you have to link a rail to a chest, but you cannot link an axis to a chest, so Salvage turrets are still pretty worthless since you can't transfer the goods from a small chest on the turret down the hierarchy to the main ship chests...

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Hmm this is a good point. Salvage turrets don't have AI yet but they should still be capable of transferring through their dock.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The same goes for rotation axis.
    I've builded a rotating salvager for mining planets...
    Well that is only half true, yes rail rotators can't be linked directly to storage, but they can be changed into rail basic, linked to storage, and then changed back to the rail rotator. (Using logic to change the type of rail will not break a storage link)

I am 100% sure that not being able to link to rail rotators is a bug, so use the work around I shared above until it is fixed.

We probably wont get storage linking from turret axis until AI is smart enough to aim at something other than the nav marker for asteroids.

Reactions: Urza der Gehasste

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    It's not a bug, this was done on purpose. Probably you just have to enable linking to a turret axis in the blockconfig.xml and it would work (I'll check this myself when I have some time).
    The reason why it was disabled is because turrets were not intended to have storage/act as storage. However this could be debated since a turret axis doesn't necessarily have a turret docked to it, for example it could be a controllable docking boom.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    The reason why it was disabled is because turrets were not intended to have storage/act as storage.
    Isn't that against the entire idea of the game being a tool for you to do what ever you want? :P

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    The reason why it was disabled is because turrets were not intended to have storage/act as storage.
    Isn't that against the entire idea of the game being a tool for you to do what ever you want? :p
    Even assuming the player is playing 'as intended', a situation, where there is no way to avoid cargo on turrets, may arise. (human-controlled salvage turrets e.g. There is no way to get the salvaged goods off the turret, FORCING the player to put an extended cargo storage on it)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The reason why it was disabled is because turrets were not intended to have storage/act as storage. However this could be debated since a turret axis doesn't necessarily have a turret docked to it, for example it could be a controllable docking boom.
    Yeah. Why shouldn't a turret have storage anyway? I could see a few other uses for this as well, actually '~'

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I'm just saying it's not a bug. I don't know the exact reason why it was not enabled.

Reaction score
    even when I add :

<Controlling>
    <Element>STASH_ELEMENT</Element>
    </Controlling>​

To

<Block icon="597" name="Rail Turret Axis" textureId="461, 462, 460, 460, 460, 460" type="RAIL_BLOCK_TURRET_Y_AXIS">
    <Consistence>​

It gives me the message on multiplayer (I updated and restarted my server, and updated the client for the hell of it.) Perhaps I'm missing something?

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I changed it in the block editor tool and although I can link the turret axis to the storage chest, it doesn't pull. There's probably some check in the code to prevent it from working.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    well this kind of kills my biz for making salvage turrets. Lancake I hope this means that we can see it enabled in the next update since i dont see why not

Reactions: nightrune

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    You can't link to turret axis for performance reasons, so there you have it.

PS: that was said by Schema and he knows what he is talking about.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You can't link to turret axis for performance reasons, so there you have it.

PS: that was said by Schema and he knows what he is talking about.
    That is ok, I am already working on a work around for that. I would like to pass the question along of being able to send some logic signals in and out of rails/dockers. Any word on how difficult those changes would be?

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    well thats a bummer. But at least we know that rotators not pulling are just a bug