station rails locked up

Reaction score
    i was building on my station last night and everything worked fine. built a cool elevator and everything works. i logged back on this morning and all of the rails on my station are locked up. anything docked to the rails on the station locks up. when i undock from the station everything works again. this includes rails with no logic and rail rotators. im not sure what happened because nothing changed. they just stopped working. i have tried placing new rails and still no luck. anything docked to the station ceases to function. logic is still activating and changing rails but nothing will move

Reaction score
    have the same problem on the server i play on.
    rails directly attached to the planet/plate entity frequently lock up and dont do anything.
    rails on entities docked to the planet work fine.

Reaction score
    I have the same problem on the Dreadnought I have been working on. One day the rail system just locked up and I can't get things to move anymore. I have messed with various permissions, reworked some rails, added rail mass enhancers on mass just to make sure it wasn't that, added a complete new rail test system without connected speed computers and still I get no movement of anything on my ship. Turret systems work though. However, I make a rail system on a new ship and it works fine, but I am not willing to dump my Dreadnought that I have worked on for this long.

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    Same here my new project was working fine before but now only some of the docked entities move when they're supposed to.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    To get a clue what is going on there we need logfiles of the game (or the server).

i do assume it is a server problem where the thread handling rail movement gets locked or crashes.
    it has nothing to do with the build you are working on. so dont rebuild it or change anything if it did work before, its not the builders fault.

it might require a client restart and clearing of the client cache however to make it work again (when the server starts working again)

Reaction score
    Our faction has also been experiencing this problem on the server we play on. It's not our server, so I don't have access to the logs.

I built this test to try and replicate the problem other faction members have been having:

64bf18fa056b29f277cc527f3aaaff16.png

Everything worked as would be expected, the test 'door' moved along the rail as would be expected in all circumstances. When we logged back in later, the problem occurred. The docked entity will only move along the rail if the ship is undocked from the station. This problem affects all ships docked to the station. No sliding doors will work while the ships are docked.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    ZombieMouse
    what server is that then?
    and please pm me the stations sector coordinates.
    is that problem persistent through out server restarts ?

Reaction score
    Sun World. I just messaged the server admin and he says he will make a backup of the logs. I'll PM you the co-ordinates...

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Probably the same rampant thread problem that locks up when you set up unsolveable logic chains. Request your serv admin(s) to post logfiles to this thread :P

Reaction score
    I can't tell if you're joking or if that's a real thing.

For anyone reading this thread later with this issue, it seemed to be resolved with a server restart. The problem hasn't reoccurred at the time of writing.

Reaction score
    The fix I had for my ship's rail issue problem was to completely cut the rail system with the editor and then simply re-paste the contents for each section that used rails. After that, they started working normally. However, I did have to do that for each area that was effected, which was all of the rail systems of the ship. Turrets did not have to be redone.

Reaction score
    I've had this same problem on the ship I'm working on, however it's not all rails. Some rails seem to work fine while others lock up. I'm not on any server, I just build in single player. I've literally deleted the rails and the docked entity and remade them from scratch and they still don't work. I've rebooted my game as well and still no luck. Everything else works fine, if I press a button the rails swap directions like they should but the docked entities simply don't budge. I know for a fact everything's set up properly since it worked before and I've poured over it to make sure nothing came undone. There's simply no explanation for why it doesn't work, it simply doesn't work.

Edit: Just to test I just threw down a row of rails and slapped a docked entity on it and same thing happened. I literally can't use rails and I have no idea why.

Edit: Upon more testing I've found out that it's only on my ship. If I make a new ship the rails work normally. What an arbitrary bug.

Last edited:

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I've had this same problem on the ship I'm working on, however it's not all rails. Some rails seem to work fine while others lock up. I'm not on any server, I just build in single player. I've literally deleted the rails and the docked entity and remade them from scratch and they still don't work. I've rebooted my game as well and still no luck. Everything else works fine, if I press a button the rails swap directions like they should but the docked entities simply don't budge. I know for a fact everything's set up properly since it worked before and I've poured over it to make sure nothing came undone. There's simply no explanation for why it doesn't work, it simply doesn't work.

Edit: Just to test I just threw down a row of rails and slapped a docked entity on it and same thing happened. I literally can't use rails and I have no idea why.

Edit: Upon more testing I've found out that it's only on my ship. If I make a new ship the rails work normally. What an arbitrary bug.
    mass enhacers?

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    It's definitely a legitimate bug. I've had this happen on my station on NFD, never found a fix. It just started working again.

My Pic of it:

starmade-screenshot-0051.png

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Not just stations. Ships too. The only "fix" was to completely delete block and connection metadata by manually editing the blueprint folder - but that also completely resets all controller block system connections, including weapons, scanners, logic, storage pulls, factory enhancers, plus display block test and AI module settings.
    See in:
    ⚓ T1986 Rails stop working on entity and blueprint

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    For single player I've found that running a unique server-instance of starmade and "locking it off" to specific processor cores, then connecting from a second instance via "localhost:4242" (locked to the OTHER cores) fixes rail-freezing and logic-freezing.

Is it possible NFD is maxing out it's CPU and freezing the logic/rail threads, and they're being saved "out of synch"? From reading the thread on the bug report...
    Not just stations. Ships too. The only "fix" was to completely delete block and connection metadata by manually editing the blueprint folder - but that also completely resets all controller block system connections, including weapons, scanners, logic, storage pulls, factory enhancers, plus display block test and AI module settings.
    See in:
    ⚓ T1986 Rails stop working on entity and blueprint
    ...here, it seems what's being corrupted/desynched on network from NFD is wireless (logic), not actual rails.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    For single player I've found that running a unique server-instance of starmade and "locking it off" to specific processor cores, then connecting from a second instance via "localhost:4242" (locked to the OTHER cores) fixes rail-freezing and logic-freezing.

Is it possible NFD is maxing out it's CPU and freezing the logic/rail threads, and they're being saved "out of synch"? From reading the thread on the bug report...
    ...here, it seems what's being corrupted/desynched on network from NFD is wireless (logic), not actual rails.
    Except on such corrupted entities, rails cease all functions. Newly placed rail strip, without being connected to any logic, refuses to move freshly docked entity to one end of it, to the other. Their ability to MOVE the entity docked to them, stops. Logic can still change the rail's type or direction on these ships, but they fail to recognize the next block also being a rail.

Reaction score
    So I just changed my stations permissions and bang all the rails on everybody's ships will docked and and rails on the station don't work.
    anyone got a fix? this is a live server.

matter of fact the whole faction system being required on pvp servers and with such game breaking bugs in it like this makes me want to rage quit the whole game, grrrrr.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Except on such corrupted entities, rails cease all functions. Newly placed rail strip, without being connected to any logic, refuses to move freshly docked entity to one end of it, to the other. Their ability to MOVE the entity docked to them, stops. Logic can still change the rail's type or direction on these ships, but they fail to recognize the next block also being a rail.
    mmm, you do know rails will not allow movement until after all logic is loaded and done one cycle, right? That was around a half dozen patches ago that they added that, so that people using "zero speed" to line up a bunch of drones on a rail would not have them suddenly start moving(because the speed logic hadn't loaded yet) and then cause a bunch of collision lag. Oddly enough, when I experienced it buttons would still let me change rail types, even if the rails wouldn't allow motion. So this problem Really sounds like bad logic&threads on NFD to me. Just sayin.
    try the single-player "fix" I posted up there and see if it suddenly starts working. That will at least let ya narrow down, and might point to some odd leak or truncation that NFD's hardware is bringing to the front of the code.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    mmm, you do know rails will not allow movement until after all logic is loaded and done one cycle, right? That was around a half dozen patches ago that they added that, so that people using "zero speed" to line up a bunch of drones on a rail would not have them suddenly start moving(because the speed logic hadn't loaded yet) and then cause a bunch of collision lag. Oddly enough, when I experienced it buttons would still let me change rail types, even if the rails wouldn't allow motion. So this problem Really sounds like bad logic&threads on NFD to me. Just sayin.
    try the single-player "fix" I posted up there and see if it suddenly starts working. That will at least let ya narrow down, and might point to some odd leak or truncation that NFD's hardware is bringing to the front of the code.
    The only "fix" that ever worked is saving it as a BP, then open it in file manager and delete all block metadata. This will ofc reset and disconnect all controller block systems, logic, factory/storage pull and logic, but rails work once more.