Read by Council Starship level-up system?

Reaction score
    So I've been thinking about on Starmade when your ship is damaged you normally get your advanced build settings set to 100 100 100 and start spamming delete which has kinda reduced the value of keeping a ship around for a long time and the whole point of repairing a ship. So what if we made the value of a ship better by adding a level up system in? It sounds a bit pointless but it could affect combat quite a bit and the value of your ship. E.g, you could have a level on your ship of 0-5 where level.....

0 being standard ship you spawn in.
    1 - having a slight increace in power maybe 1-2%
    2 - having more shield regen and cap by 1-2%
    3 - having more armour hp increace by 1-2%
    4 - having better thrust by 1-5%
    5 - having weapon power efficiency increased by 1-2%

you get the idea but it would make the ship in general more valueable to keep. You could level up by killing x amount of enemy faction ships or pirates (anything with red nav point) to level up. The buffs themselves could be randomised when you gain a level.

let me know what you think.

Reaction score
    We have a way to increase a ships stats. It's building a better ship.

What I would be in favor of is NPC level ups, to determine things like accuracy etc, but ship stats should be left entirely in the hands of how good well designed the ship is.

Reaction score
    We have a way to increase a ships stats. It's building a better ship.

What I would be in favor of is NPC level ups, to determine things like accuracy etc, but ship stats should be left entirely in the hands of how good well designed the ship is.
    its a ok idea but NPC's seem a bit useless and the ship level ups will only really give an advantage of there size range if there is a bigger ship involved it would still loose agenst the bigger ship. (depending on how you pilot it)

Last edited:

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    We need a ship diagnostic mechanic for retaining and repairing to work efficiently. This would allow you to ID all the damaged components, where they are and repair them effectively. Otherwise, it's simply to deconstruct and rebuild, whether in a shipyard or by blueprint.

Reaction score
    We need a ship diagnostic mechanic for retaining and repairing to work efficiently. This would allow you to ID all the damaged components, where they are and repair them effectively. Otherwise, it's simply to deconstruct and rebuild, whether in a shipyard or by blueprint.
    I would NPC repair crews to be able to operate build blocks to restore a ship to blueprint.

Reactions: Lone_Puppy
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I might be mistaken, but I recall someone mentioning that NPC crew will be able to gain experience and provide small buffs to the systems they are operating. Similar affect but through a different route. Again, I may be mistaken about this.

Reactions: Lone_Puppy

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I convince a friend of mine to form another faction on the server and declare war on us. All his ships are incredibly cheap bricks of rock. My faction levels up all their ships to the max and gain a 2% efficiency buff in everything without risking a single ship. Horray!

Alternatively, I just farm Isanths or pick on a weak newbie faction for the same effect.

This is a bad idea. It encourages cheesy bullshit and picking on weaker factions.

I could maybe see being able to level up NPCs as a possibility, but magic buffs innate to the ship are just garbage.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Better and more sensible mechanic to accomplish the same thing: Make repairing ships cheaper than building a whole new one.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Move this to the NPCs that are coming in later updates and it wouldn't be an issue. Since the buffs could be stopped by simply killing the NPCs providing them. What you are currently asking for is basically a way to get around having to build a better ship, but moving it to things like NPCs and destructible blocks means a player can put an end you your ungodly boost by shooting the right spot.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Better and more sensible mechanic to accomplish the same thing: Make repairing ships cheaper than building a whole new one.
    How do you differentiate between blocks lost in combat and blocks lost by manual salvaging after the ship was damaged by something else?

Reaction score
    To add to Lecic's question: How do you distinguish without a memory hogging list of every block destroyed?

Reaction score
    The OP has his heart in the right place, but a leveling mechanic would be best left to Crew NPC's once they are implemented.

Another idea would be to level up a BOBBY AI, that it performs better as it gains battle experience.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    I have to concede that the OP's idea wasn't properly considered and didn't take into account abuse. I retract my previous position.

NPCs would be a prime candidate for levelling, though.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I don't think a leveling system would help with the current state of combat. Its too easy to exploit and could exacerbate some of power disparities on servers. If theres anything that this system should do it should be used to gain/lose reputation with the various factions.

also didn't bench in one of the dev blogs already confirm NPC leveling?

Reaction score
    RPG ships? Not for me, thanks. Ship capability should be determined by design.
    RPG NPCs? Maybe, if it's subtle...

Wolverines527

Warrior/Builder
    Reaction score
    I think there could be a level system for a ship but with no real benefit besides like a battlestar being placed in next to its name to show its been in its fair share of fights its only way of calculation is based on cores destroyed that are on the same level tier as said ship say a capital ship vs a capital ship would gain the star but a capital ship vs a lighter unit gives it nothing except more kills on the ships kill counter

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    I think you have identified the problem, but don't think this would be the best solution.

Not that I can come up with a better one mind you.