Starmadian's Logic Showcase Thread

Fellow Starmadian

Oh cool so thats what this is
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This thread will be dedicated to my "finished" projects. Mostly meaning that they work and don't start getting errors when someone sneezes on them. I also usually have at least one other player test all my designs, so I'll make sure to give credit where it's due. Starting to get some projects done, working on my third major project now as a joint effort with HolyCookie. More on that soon :D

CAUTION: I do not know proper electronics terminology, so don't yell at me plox :(
    --------------------------------------------
    "FINISHED" PROJECTS:

Logical Tic-Tac-Toe: ( done for now )

Credit goes to Mrs. Jaaskinal for testing the original circuit, then playing logic golf with it to show me new logic methods. Jaaskinal's improved circuit
    This circuit uses three arrays of latches:
    - 1 for each player (2) to define the color placed on the board
    - 1 that stops players from messing up the game by putting two colors on the same square.
    For win conditions, it uses 8 AND gates which analyzes the current player's marks after they take their turn.
    The blue player force field is actually docked to the main ship, so there can be overlapping force fields.
    Finally, the rest of the circuit is just misc. logic stuff, to make sure everything works as it should.

Vaygr HB marquee project:

disclaimer: please no shit posting or flaming, forum wars are just silly.

This one was a real doozy, lots of new logic methods I had to learn. Thanks to AtraUnam and HolyCookie for helping with trouble shooting and design!
    This circuit is actually two entities. Thanks to a tip from someone on the forums, it stores the data on a different entity, that contains most of the logic. This cuts down on the circuit lag drastically, making the board display at a crisp .5 fps, lol. Besides that, the lag was causing screen shearing on the board, and was causing the binary decoder to display the wrong character. It is also docked to the Vaygr HB station, because having all that logic directly on the station would cause horrendous amounts of lag. I'll give a semi-detailed description below.

The circuit is comprised of 4 parts:
    - Binary storage
    - Binary storage position selecter
    - Read Buffer
    - Binary Decoder

In brief: The circuit stores binary bytes in ASCII format. There's a binary interface on the main entity, used to change the value of the stored bytes. Then using the position selector, it outputs the stored info into the buffer, and finally the decoder, where it is shunted to the display row by row. When the decoder is done shunting the character to the display, it sends a signal to the position selector to select the next storage position and repeat the cycle over again.

The binary storage is 127 bytes of storage, or 127 characters. each byte is 8 latches with the necessary input / output AND gates. AtraUnam explained to me that the circuit would have less lag if I also added a series of not gates to the input and output, something about instant pulse logic. She was right, and it reduced the circuit lag further.

The Storage position selector is just an extremely long shift register, shifted forwards by a tick pulse from the main entity. This shift register functions using instant pulse logic, taught to me by Olxinos.

The next part is the buffer, which was necessary to install thanks to the nature of the circuit. There is still some lag when the storage module outputs binary to the decoder, so the message being displayed was some kind of combination of two different ASCII characters. the buffer stops this by storing the character, and then outputting it several ticks later.

The decoder is just a large array of AND gates, one AND gate for every ASCII character. that AND gate turns on some OR gates, which in turn send a HIGH signal to an AND gate. That AND gate then waits its turn to output a high or low signal to the display.
    WORKS IN PROGRESS:
    Conway's Game Of Life Circuit: (Mid Priority)
    ( I use this one GIF way too much, hopefully that can change in the near future! )

Very large project for me, working on developing a type of recursive logic circuit that vastly reduces its massive amount of logic blocks to something a LOT more manageable. Link to it's dev. thread Link to it's wikipedia page.
    Update: I pretty much have that recursive logic figured out now, been using several different implementations of it over the past couple months. Although now I understand that recursive logic using quick pulses would probably not reduce lag, but would actually increase it.. I have a couple ideas how to reduce lag now, thanks to the marquee project I just completed, so I'll see what I can do to remake this circuit, as a side to my secret joint project with holycookie :)
    Additional plans outside the dev. thread: Add an editor mode with a blinking cursor and directional controls to change a cell's alive/dead state between calculations. Needs to be completed to be compatible with the arcade system outlined below.

Fellow's Arcade System: (Top Priority)
    This one is being developed along with the CGOL circuit, but is a bit more complex.. Basically, I'm working on making loadable logic games that fit inside a "cartridge", which will dock onto the game system and be connected with wireless logic blocks. My goal for this project is to have enough games available that you can't keep all the logic in the same sector without causing severe server lag! All the player has to have with them to play a game is a blueprint of the cartridge(s). Simply spawn, plug, and play!

The cartridge reader itself will contain several logic circuits that I commonly use to cut down on cartridge size. This will include: latch arrays, calculation circuits, randomizer circuits, clock pulse circuits, etc. It also sports a 4 color display that's 21 meters high and 31 meters wide, so plenty of pixels to mess around with :)
    Finally, a list containing my current ideas for cartridge games:
    Pretty much done, the logic is all mapped out, I just need to convert what I have into a cartridge.
    Update: it's in the cartridge, but there is so much extra room for more logic that I decided to make that cartridge into a party game, with as much as I can fit in terms of small, simple games.
    Lots of learning done for this project, turns out my idea of quick pulses seems to lag the game, instead of reduce it. Should have seen that one coming, lol. Still! Using the methods learned in the marquee project, I should be able to make this circuit still, albeit with a few more docked things and a bit slower calculation time per frame perhaps.
    I have ideas on how to do this project, but nothing concrete yet.. As far as I know, it won't be able to speed up it's calculations like CGOL, it's not like I can get a usable pulse up to the Khz and Mhz speeds that actual arcade machines used :/ It would have to be VERY similar to holycookie's STAR CONFLICT.
    This one should be interesting to implement.. I have some concrete ideas about how to store locations/ player/ troop strength using latches and gates. When I get a system set up for risk, it should be relatively easy to create other turn based games using the methods used to make this one.
    A 50cent yard sale game I found a long time ago and fell in love with. This game is kind of like chess, but very strange. It's pieces have a single path to follow, and when they finish their path, they reset back into the player's holding area, until the piece is played again. Should be very fun to implement in logic! This will also be a step towards the more complex game of RISK.

what you see here is the first version of the game board I would hope to use. for the red side, we have the 6 game piece slots, and a graveyard further down to the left. There will be a cursor for each player, and as you can see down on the bottom left, red has selected one of his game pieces with the cursor at the top of the screen, and is being displayed on the bottom left, along with it's starting point and path / resting points. Nothing except some ideas on paper atm for this one, I'm afraid.
    Thanks again trekkerjoe, I don't know how I didn't think of that :p
    This one shouldn't need much explaining, as I'm pretty sure everyone on earth has heard of THAT game... I might shift this one to third on the list, right behind the CGOL project. Mostly because it's a really awesome game!
    Update: I managed to build a small 4 by 8 tetris grid! Using zero docked entities, it is able to move left and right, rotate, and fall. I still need to build the collision and line creation logic, but it's much further along than it was before.
    Resource allocation system: (suggested by jumpsuit(linux))
    a pretty complex system that is going to be able to track info about resources taken from storage, such as who took it, and how much they took. Should be fairly dynamic so a player can select any block, and a number between 1 and 1,000,000 of said block.

I'm out of ideas for now, but while I brain storm ( and work my butt off on these projects ) why not give me some suggestions?

edit 1: added "tetris" to the game console project, added a picture for input, changed some wording a bit.
    edit 2: added vaygr marquee board project and a hint in "works in progress" as to a future, undisclosed project! look for the out of place question mark.
    edit 3: wow this page needs some updating. changed my year old grammatical error. the acronym is CGOL not CGOF ya dingus. Added the resource allocation system based on jumpsuit's request.

Thanks to Jaaskinal and Dr. Whammy, For checking out my tic-tac-toe game prior to release! Now I have plenty of ways to reduce the size of my future circuits. And thanks to these players for answering many logic-themed questions! HolyCookie, Olxinos, Bench, @Leviticus , Trekkerjoe, and iceman6491!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Arrrty Gold
    Where's this man's Schine badge? You fools are missing out

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Would you like to make that Arcade project a Team project?
    I'm about to release my second game! To be exact, I'm aiming to release it this Sunday, if school isn't too much in my way.
    I already released StarMade-conflict. A 2 player game full of action.
    My second game has even more action! And it is also a 2 player game. But more I won't say yet.
    My third game might be monopoly, but that won't fit in the arcade, if we were to team up.
    I'm not sure with the lag though, I'm aiming to get golden logic badge with my second game, it takes 2 minutes of waiting until logic responds.

Fellow Starmadian

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Pi-Rex, thanks! It's really nice to hear that.. But don't tell my ego.. It'll get all bloated and stuff.. :p

HolyCookie, I remember when I downloaded Star-conflict, it was a pretty long while ago that we had a conversation about it.. THAT was a fun project to figure out!

I would definitely like working on a team build with you! I haven't been able to work on it as much as I've wanted so far, so all I've set up for the arcade system is the basic game screen, a HD ffd (force field display) TV with a whopping 651 multi color pixels! When I get home, I'll make sure to contact you. For simplicity, I've been running a private hamachi server so I can work on things whenever I want. It should be pretty easy to set you up on it, so you can see what I've been working on :)

edit: too many emoji D:

Last edited:

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    This is light years beyond impressive. It won't be long until you build/design beyond the capabilities of this game. The Shine team REALLY needs to add you to their official tester team.

P.S. I still haven't forgotten how instrumental you are to the development of my torpedo launchers. Thanks again for all your expertise.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Definitely watching this. As for a cartridge idea: Tetris. You know you want to. Also, it would be cool if you made that game where you have planets, and you send ships to conquer other planets. I wish I remembered enough to give you the name.

One neat trick I noticed when Lone_Puppy was working on his mech hand, was this: If your cartridge is not actually docked with the arcade, you can relay signals between entities without linking them directly by using plexdoor>area trigger. Basically works like an Opto-Isolator. In this case I'd call it a Plexdo-Isolator.

EDIT: Went back and got the original thread: My Mech Build
    EDIT EDIT: Looking back at the original post, It would be a good idea to test that idea. Make sure it works reliably.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Lone_Puppy

Fellow Starmadian

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Awesomely helpful stuff
    Whoa, that's awesome! Such a simple solution for such an annoying problem. Good thing too, since I was going to be connecting all 100 or so pins for each cartridge with my C and V keys...

Dr. Whammy thanks! That project was really fun! What I haven't forgotten though was how you bested me by compacting the logic for the torp. magazine :p
    [DOUBLEPOST=1454130188,1454129256][/DOUBLEPOST]I know it doesn't have to do with my game console, but I made a little modular system for rail loading systems. It seems pretty dependable, if you keep all the rail stop-points the same distance from each other. Made it for a currently anonymous user that couldn't wrap their head around how to do it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Fellow Starmadian

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    When I read your post Trekkerjoe, I started trying to develop something right away. My original thoughts when starting development on this project was that I could program the game console to accept a minimized amount of input from the cartridge, but that proved far to cumbersome.. The amount of latches and flip-flops I would need were phenomenal! I have 651 pixels on that display, and 4 colors for each. Each of those pixel colors would need their own set of latches and AND gates to direct logic signals around, probably more than 1 set. Then there is the additional logic needed for a system as complex as that.

Someone else here might be able to do that with a minimal number of gates, but not me.. XD I WAS going to try to keep developing it further, but now things seem to be far easier. I'll also be adding the tetris idea to my planned game cartridges as well!

Reaction score
    Try making something cool like a logic spinny thing or something cool

Fellow Starmadian

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Things are progressing smoothly (kind of) with my logic project, spent two hours just configuring one of the colors of the force field matrix for the Tic-Tac-Toe game.. granted I spent 45 minutes making a "logic spinny thing" to make the force field matrices fwip in and out of my game cartridge for easier access :p

I will admit, I haven't progressed as far as I had hoped.. Mostly due to me slacking, and partially due to me slacking while tossing logic ideas for the console project around in my head. But it looks like I'll be able to get the tic-tac-toe "finished" soon. Soon after that I hope to be working with Holy Cookie on some more of our game ideas. After I have at least 2 games ready for release, I'll make the console and all available cartridges available for download, with instructions and the like.

p.s. in between slacking off, schoolwork, and logic brainstorming, I played the games I got from the Humble Bundle store (mostly grow home). $1 for three video games, and some of the money goes to charity?! I get free games and help people, woo!

Fellow Starmadian

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    New update people! After months of delay, I am finally going to continue work on my arcade project, with help from holycookie! I was sidetracked for a while due to this large project I was working on for a shady employer. Ill be releasing it in the community content section soon, just too lazy to type up the post, lol. Info was added to the top post about the project, see for yourselves :)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1461300065,1461297722][/DOUBLEPOST]I also updated the entire post, mostly just house keeping but also some updates on my projects. Mostly changed things inside the WIP section.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    if you need any help building your logic proyects, or you was stoped for dont know how to do anything, just send me a message :)

Fellow Starmadian

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I was wondering, actually, if you would like to have your 1980's vidya game circuit turned into a cartridge, to be played from my arcade console! With your permission, I'll download your circuit and add it to my list of projects I'll eventually get to.. XD

My long term goal is to make the system easy enough to get used to, so that anyone can make their own game, if they're able to work with logic that is. If you want, you could even help create the cartridge, since it requires a lot of connecting and such.. I'll basically have to dis-assemble the circuit, and re-configure it to fit inside the cartridge.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    I was wondering, actually, if you would like to have your 1980's vidya game circuit turned into a cartridge, to be played from my arcade console! With your permission, I'll download your circuit and add it to my list of projects I'll eventually get to.. XD

My long term goal is to make the system easy enough to get used to, so that anyone can make their own game, if they're able to work with logic that is. If you want, you could even help create the cartridge, since it requires a lot of connecting and such.. I'll basically have to dis-assemble the circuit, and re-configure it to fit inside the cartridge.
    Sure, you can download any of my logical constructs, and use them as you need ... but if you download it and use part or all of what I've built .. dont put your name emblazoned as if you had made everything from scratch :p

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Astounding... Both of you...

I'm starting a countdown to see which one of you creates something outside the limitations of this game, causes a logic time paradox, divides by zero, etc. Before we know it, you two will probably recode StarMade IN StarMade.

Fellow Starmadian

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Sure, you can download any of my logical constructs, and use them as you need ... but if you download it and use part or all of what I've built .. dont put your name emblazoned as if you had made everything from scratch :p

MrBeanFace.jpg​
    Yep, I catch your drift, lol. I always try to properly credit people who's Ideas I steal build off of. Right now, my main project is what me and holycookie are working on, and until I'm sure that wireless blocks are fixed I won't be connecting any of the couple thousand connections for the multi-color display. I'll keep you updated on my progress, though. My initial inspection of your circuit shows that it should be easy enough to convert it to cartridge form. Hell, your's might even be the first finished product I release with my console!

And careful Dr.Whammy, my ego is easily inflatable :P

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    It´s fine[URL='https://starmadedock.net/members/fellow-starmadian.379640/'] Fellow Starmadian,[/URL] if you dont understand anything of any of my logic works, just ask me... i put all the info in all my posts, and in the builds, in diferent display blocks, telling what it does, as always, i try to do all "easy to know" but sometimes... some circuits have a lot of links or logic blocks i cant explain very well with my poor english Y_Y

Fellow Starmadian

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    As you might know, it's much easier to understand a circuit someone else made if they are there to explain. When you're available to join a build server, could you send me a message in our conversation? There's a couple things I need to ask about. one thing being that the movement controls seem a little buggy, another asking what the large array of AND gates is for.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    the movement controls seem a little buggy

what do you mean exactly? i know when you "reset" the system.. sometimes the dot ball of my Arkanoid logic game bug.. and it begin to ping-pong up and down Y_Y. I will fix that on a future update of the game

what the large array of AND gates is for.
    that large AND matrix is for the system "know where the dot ball be"

Fellow Starmadian

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'll send you the IP of the server to join in the convo, I'll explain in-game :) but basically, when I try to start the game, the bumper doesn't stay moved, if that makes any sense. You'll see soon, hopefully.