Starmade Shipyard Threads - Make & Breaks

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    Hey guys,

So looked around at some Shipyard threads from the community and wanted to get some of your guy's take on them.

As title states, what makes or breaks a shipyard thread for you? I.e. what would you consider a proper Shipyard thread?

Reactions: DeepspaceMechanic

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    A good question to ask!

What breaks a shipyard thread for me?
    • Lack of reason. If you have a shipyard thread, make sure there's a reason for people to subscribe to the thread instead of just your content you post. This can be done in a few ways, progress updates are a good example as you logically wouldn't detail all that in a content upload's changelog.
    What makes a shipyard thread for me?
    • Watching the OP improve their building skillset. I find this much more satisfying than consistently high quality uploads as I don't just want to know they made it there, I want to see their journey to the point they're at now. You don't even have to be a newbie for this to apply to you as there's always new styles to try.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    makes or breaks shipyard threads? They are threads for people to show off their work.
    Only thing that can really break them is missing images.
    Otherwise as long as there are images of builds they are good. it's always nice to see people being creative.

Reaction score
    Makes: Everything, you can even post just one ship wip threads. It is all up to you, no one will judge you even for a 3x3x3 block ship. :)

Breaks: Videos. I never look into them. This is a shipyard thread and not an advertisment platform for your media experiments. Exceptions granted if the video is only about your creations and not a "lets play". But even then I don't like most of them. Saber did some nice lets shows. But man. I want to see screenshots, if I wanted to watch and listen to a dude then I would directly open up youtube.

Last edited:

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Makes: Everything, you can even post just one ship wip threads. It is all up to you, no one will judge you even for a 3x3x3 block ship. :)

Breaks: Videos. I never look into them. This is a shipyard thread and not an advertisment platform for your media experiments. Exceptions granted if the video is only about your creations and not a "lets play".
    Agreed, Always hated when SkylordLuke posted videos instead of pictures, I want to see the damn ship not song boring ass video

Reactions: Ithirahad

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5

Breaks: Videos. I never look into them. This is a shipyard thread and not an advertisment platform for your media experiments. Exceptions granted if the video is only about your creations and not a "lets play". But even then I don't like most of them. Saber did some nice lets shows. But man. I want to see screenshots, if I wanted to watch and listen to a dude then I would directly open up youtube.
    Agreed.

You only need a video if there is some super cool animated light pattern/rails/etc that you can't show off in stills. Otherwise, pictures are fine.

Like this:

The level of awesome of that megazord build is something you simply have to see in action to fully appreciate. It looks great in stills, but when you realize the entire transformation sequence is fully realized in rails and logic? Its just mind blowing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    Wow, great points guys! Really appreciate all the input.

Sounds to me that the Shipyard is a good place to put any extra info you that don't include in your uploads as well as updates for builds.

Thanks again guys for all the input!

Reaction score
    Agreed.

You only need a video if there is some super cool animated light pattern/rails/etc that you can't show off in stills. Otherwise, pictures are fine.

Like this:

The level of awesome of that megazord build is something you simply have to see in action to fully appreciate. It looks great in stills, but when you realize the entire transformation sequence is fully realized in rails and logic? Its just mind blowing.
    Agreed, some builds really justify videos.

The Empyrion "shipyard" equivalent is, what I describe as bad example of how a shipyard should NEVER look like: 50% of the threads is just praising the own youtube channels: Media - Screenshots, Videos, Streams! Yes ofcourse they said "videos and streams" but honestly, because of the included vids and streams I personally find this subforum 100% useless, except for the screenshots only thread. I like lurking in the Starmade shipyard, because of the few vids and many high quality screenshots. I hate looking into the Empyrion equivalent because 50% of the threads I open up have videos posted. Absolute timewaste imo.

It's not even about the quality of the video. It's just totally different to watch a video, it consumes 1000% more time and listening to some random dude's voice to gather the infos of the build is not the same, than reading and looking at screenshoots.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Makes: Anything directly related to shipbuilding, engineering, co-op requests, questions about subsystems, showing off finished entities and WIPs. It's a ship yard. It's about design, engineering, construction, subcontracting, and review of ships (and stations, IMO).

Breaks: WoT about a fictional shipbuilding company/empire (belongs in an RP/lore forum). It's fine when it's contextualizing a ship that's being shown off, but has zero to do with ships or shipbuilding when it's not in direct relation to an actual project or product.