StarMade Prebuild 0.09443: Scalability

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hello players,

This pre-build will test new scalability optimizations and improved physics performance (especially with lots of objects)

http://files.star-made.org/build/pre/starmade-build_20131106_155912.zip

http://files.star-made.org/build/pre/starmade-build_20131106_181412.zip

(as always: "dev" is username/passwd. The build will be installed to "play.star-made.org:4242". Server admins: please be careful with installing pre-builds on your live server as they can contain game breaking bugs)

The database will now only save asteroid for sectors that have been modified (moved or edited). The sectors will still be consistent with deterministic generation algorithms (so visually they will generate exactly the same). The advantage is, that over 90% of the SQL database currently consists of useless asteroids, which slows down bigger servers. This update will take care of a lot of lag issues on bigger servers.

Another performance improving fix is in the physics system. To have consistent collisions, the physics model of any entity is mirrored in the surrounding sectors (so that long ships can collide with things that are in the next sector. These objects are set static and therefore did not cause physics respone with each other. However the problem was that they still calculated the collision points (and then discard them because there is no response needed). This led to incredible lag really fast as the work on the server could be up to 600% higher, or even worse case with player characters, the physics calculated costly collisions due to mirror objects intersecting. Even 5 astronauts close to each other already caused some server slowdown.

Thank you for playing StarMade,

- schema

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Good to see those giant multi sector ships and stations won\'t be non solid in sectors anymore. Your work lately has greatly increased how well this game runs on clients and servers. I can play this at 70 fps at idle on my laptop when it\'s in power saver mode, and that\'s a rare thing these days.

On another topic changing resolution or using a non native resolution, or even resizing the window, greatly affects the game screen. It results in things like crosshairs and radar images not lining up right, the chat window moving to the bottom of the screen, and gui elements sometimes fall apart.

Also, could you do some work with the logbook gui to make the reading area larger, make the text wordwrap to stay inside the frame, and maybe increase the line and character limit to allow entries to be as long as the logbook entries that are found in stations.

Otherwise, keep up the good work schema.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Yeah I\'m aware of the resolution/crosshairs issue. Can you maybe tell me what resolutions this happens to you? is it full screen only?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I posted about this on http://star-made.org/content/starmade-dev-news#comment-70762 which includes a reference image between the resolutions of 1360x768 and 1366x768. Hope it helps.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    schema what\'s your definition of new feature, when you said it in the last post?

Reaction score
    \"I\'m still working hard on new features. There will be more info at the end of the week (TM).\"

Just wait till the end of the week :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    if i die it is possible press exit and rellog and collect my items and money back...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Is this going to fix the annoying collision problems that cause a player in astronaut mode to teleport into an empty space if they so much as touch a ship?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I would like to request a few things for this update

1. An SQL cleaner (Find exactly what you dont need anymore and remove it from the SQL DB)
    2. A Save in area feature (If something is edited in a sector, all of the generated data for it and x sectors away are saved). This would help many servers, especially with some that have excessive ship traffic around spawn.

I would also like to recommend a real bug/question management system instead of the forums. I have seen some important bugs with small veiw counts while posts of the same bugs have hundreds.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    In the prebuild whenever I join a server I lag out horribly for 2 minutes as something is uploading 33kb of data to the server, no idea what it is or why it\'s doing it, but I can\'t do anything while it happens.

Reaction score
    I\'ve been having this problem for a while now. I made a video to show how bad it is (http://youtu.be/vyb3m8tcZbk) Ever since the new turning mechanics, any sort of lag will cause me to lose control if I am in a smaller ship. I really need this fixed because it is causing me problems in making more of my straight forward tutorial videos because I am on an older version untill this problem is sorted out.

Reaction score
    I am attempting to set bobby AI on my fighters, but I am running into an annoying glitch. I am not sure whether the carrier needs to have turrets and fighters to cause this, so if it won\'t reproduce maybe add turrets too. Here is how to reproduce: Put a green docking block down on a ship (the carrier). Get another ship with a bobby AI module on it, dock it onto the carrier. Set bobby AI to any, ship, active. Close AI control panel. Reopen AI control panel, bobby is now in turret mode.

Reaction score
    Something you probably already know, but......

200x200x200 area ships, send astriods flying everywhere, which collision spams the server and client leading to lagg.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    theres a bug where my missiles only destroy blocks without any explosion or sound...