StarMade Prebuild 0.09433

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hello,

first of all, thank you all for participating in the discussion about shields. I still have to evaluate some more, but it seems that most agree (as do I) that the problem is less with the shields and mroe with the AMC. I did a first test with this new pre-release to tie damage and reload speed together: Basically the more damage a weapon does, the less more time it will take to reload. You can of course buff that value again by spending points from speed and distance.

Also some long lasting bugs have been finally identified and fixed

Get the build here:

http://files.star-made.org/build/pre/starmade-build_20131018_135625.zip

(as always: "dev" is username/passwd. The build will be installed to "play.star-made.org:4242". Server admins: please be careful with installing pre-builds on your live server as they can contain game breaking bugs)

Also, some work on new features has been done. I will also soon expose AMC/Shield valiables to the server.cfg to quickly be able to fine tune.

Here is the changelog so far (excluding work on new features):

- mineral recipes now 1:10. Recipes for hull -> wedge etc (thanks to starcitsura)
    - finally fixed long lasting bug that was cauing an astronaut to be at local position 0,0,0 for one frame. This for example caused the sudden planet-kill (even if only in orbit) was it to happen near a planet that had lava at the center
    - items in space are no longer picked up if inventory is full
    - added borderless windowed mode to advanced options in the startup
    - inventory management for building has been moved to server to combat duplication/loss due to lag
    - fixed transmission synchronization of point distribution. (damage, speed, etc not changing, or saving)
    - test for AMC balance (more damage causes more time to reload)

Thank you for playing StarMade,

- schema

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    AMc\'s should cause a small/big explosion if hitting a power block which contains high amount of e/s

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Please don\'t implement this kind of balance, it\'s gonna make capital weapons useless...

Reaction score
    You are kidding right? Right now capitals are super over powered in the weapons department. 10,000 AMCs will take out 130,000 shield blocks in under 20 seconds.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Just looked trough the recent history of builds and noticed that the some version numbers (not just this build) were used multiple times. Either Mr. Schema has some superspecial way to mark his \"progress\" or he\'s a cute little messy wessy.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It\'s going to underpower capitals that are made in the non-cheaty way that use a few solid pieces om antimatter cannons other then many tiny ones.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    please add an option to remove core overheating count down to be able to do insta kills and appreciate a destroyed pirate

BearishMushroom

Modshroom
    Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Hey schema! I see you\'re looking into AMC balance. Have a look at this thread: http://star-made.org/content/my-take-new-amc-system It contains alot of great ideas. My biggest plus here is the graphical scaling of amc shots. (let\'s be honest it looks weird when a capital ship fires a tiny bullet out of it\'s main cannon)

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    From Captain Fortius thread:

\"A single, solid AMC cannon, no matter how large, how powerful, will only ever destroy one block on hit. There\'s a little lag between a hit and the block\'s destruction, so cannons with high rates of fire tend to waste a few shots on blocks that are already destroyed. Meaning, you can\'t dig an 1x1 wide straight line into your enemy as quick as you\'d like. That means it takes more time to reach the core.\"

All my testing has shown that burst fire deals more damage than sustained fire, due to the reasons you outline above. A one shot AMC Array which can deal 90 block of penetration actually take 2 shots to pierce through 200 normal Hull Blocks takes 20 seconds to penetrate the same 200 blocks on sustained fire.

Also most lag is caused by continious fire. Whenever I use my ships with these big AMC\'s I always Burst fire as it does more damage :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Think about lowering overall Amc damage schema. This solution does nothing to nerf shotgun style ships.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    If someone wants to build a ship large enough to be a \"shotgun\", then you can just as easily exploit their weakness by shooting at the wide parts. It\'s balanced by the fact that you\'re flying a barn with a giant neon red target painted on it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It is cheaty right now. Capital combat is basically a tug of huge cannons, that generate a lot of lag for no reason and destroy everything in its path with particle spam. Many tiny ones would lack range and projectile speed and virtually impossible to reconfigure.

So, you\'ll have to make choices, rather than just make cannon bricks.

Reaction score
    This is why I support cannons not increasing their rate of fire as much as size increases, or make a very slight decrease, along with a more flexible points system that allows for more extreme tuning options, such as making a cannon fire every 6 seconds but buff all the other stats so it becomes a 3k dmg per hit sniper.

It\'s annoying when big ships fire bullets so fast they basically weaponize lag.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Good to see progress on balancing that, though in all honesty, the shields and AMC rate of fire is only part of the balancing issue and there are other things regarding the topic that were brought in the discussion on reddit that would benefit from some chance. Including those barely related, like how balanced seem hulls in relation to aforementioned.

Persevere, Schema! I know there\'s a lot to read and make notes based on, but we believe in you! :P