StarMade Prebuild 0.09424 missile fix and balance

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hello players,

hopefully the final one before the real release

http://files.star-made.org/build/pre/starmade-build_20131014_193556.zip

(as always "dev" is pass/user. It will be installed on the test server play.star-made.org:4242. Other admins, please use prebuilds with care as they can contain gamebreaking bugs)

The fps/ping problem has been confirmed as computer related (a restart solved the problem). I'm going to release this version if there are no major new bugs.

Here is the changelog since the last pre-build:

- added upload logs to serverlog
    - fixed light-beacons spawning in space without the block
    - fixed bug where player would have to have the credits to buy a blueprint although it's set to buy-with-blocks
    - added advices for loading screen
    - fixed missiles not exploding (just stopping) but damage was done (last prebuild)
    - increased slowest turning speed by axis by 50%
    - increased basic valus for chield recharge

An official discussion about shields will soon be started. Stay tuned :)

Thank you for playing StarMade,

- schema

Reaction score
    the horror of opening a shield thread, are you sure you want to open up that can of worms, as people are very biased on either having them but mostly OP or completly removing them and/or making them worthless....

please find some balance in weapons and hull strengths with shields and without, before fiddling with shields solely if i understand correctly...

i hope the thread will be managed properly and people make sensible posts... but hey, its the internets, you never know :).

good luck and thanks for pumping out these updates.

Reaction score
    Some suggestions on shields.

- Shield Computer. Allows for tweaking of Capacity, Shield Recharge, and perhaps coverage (Fore, Aft, Side)

- Toggle. Using shields should use a lot of energy, but you can turn them on or off based on need. This way, shields can drain your energy supply more than it currently does, but it won\'t impact travel.

- Visual effect for turning on/off shields, so we can tell if they are planning to assault.

- Allow servers in .cfg to allow shield blocks or not, considering they are such a hot button topic.

Reaction score
    Thanks for the updates, I\'m looking forward to all changes in the upcoming official release.

Reaction score
    u need to limit that spam msg to admins only of sector what ever is causing lag 67ms

its super annoying to players but still good to keep for admins so they can tp there to check it out

Reaction score
    Damn Schema, you have been cranking out the pre-builds. But lets hope you got everything so you can release a full version for everyone.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Or maybe have shields like they are now, but drain A LOT of power when taking hits

Reaction score
    Draining Power on hits is a decent idea, however I feel that might be hard to balance when working with Large ships being swarmed by smaller ships. I could see shields going down due to lack of power before actually breaking the shield itself if they have enough firepower.

Reaction score
    This should be interesting to say the least. I hope whatever thread its on is heavily moderated. Flamewars happen quickly you know. Thanks for your work. I really enjoy this game and will buy it as soon as I get a card (i\'m quite lazy).

Reaction score
    If a faction is set to declare war on hostile action, and a new player without faction causes this to occur, the faction glitches out and declares war on EVERYTHING. Basically enables neutral hostile for no reason.

Reaction score
    ya shadowhunter 12 that bug has been around for a very very long time

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Schema! If/when discussion will be started, for the love of whatever\'s holy, make sure to make a news with proper link to it! It\'s so easy to miss such otherwise if someone doesn\'t check for it regularly it\'s unsettling.

Reaction score
    I am thinking something similar but adjusting recharge rate and capacity.

I can see a lot of people maxing out their capacity but spending a day and a half to recharge their shields. This could enable fighters to destroy a large ship.

Reaction score
    Changes to shields need to happen alongside changes to weapons (and oh boy do they need changing considering weapons vs. hull effects), otherwise we just end up getting shields balanced for crap weapons and all that work is lost when weapons get balanced to other things and new weapons get added.

Reaction score
    Some ideas I have about how shielding could work.

A new option in the ship core, like the weapon menu : a power % split.

This way, no matter how much power you put into your ship, you got to divide it between shielding, weaponry and movement, as you would divide the potential of multiple AMC cannons.
    Shields taking hits would consume power dedicated to it as they work to recharge, and then the hull would (as usual) take hits after shielding is depleted.
    Scaling between shield strenght, shield recharge rate, the \'still new\' shield recovery setting and the power consumption could also see a % setting, via a shield computer or the ship core itself again. Still like the AMC cannons.

I believe this would open many new build options and possibilities without being too much to implement as it\'s pretty much already ingame via other elements.

What do you think?

Reaction score
    I forgot to add, while fighting, that could be used to redirect power to the shield system while shutting down weapons pratically to help survive and fleeing a lost battle!

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    an issue is that a large shield stands no chance against a similarly sized but smaller weapon. there are turrets hitting several million dps and instnantly killing larger player ships (up to 4.4 million blocks) with the dps and number of shots so high.