StarMade Prebuild 0.0942

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hello players,

here is the next iteration in the current prebuild cycle:

http://files.star-made.org/build/pre/starmade-build_20131013_075336.zip

(as always "dev" is pass/user. It will be installed on the test server play.star-made.org:4242. Other admins, please use prebuilds with care as they can contain gamebreaking bugs)

Noteworthy is the fix for the missile flight path (should be much smoother now), as well as several optimizations to improve overall performance (especially for servers). Here is the changelog since the last pre build:

- fixed a source of segment(chunk) errors
    - better synchronization for file handle checking (exception on server: "Having to reopen closed file"). Possible fix for "too many files open"
    - fixed server crash (causes freeze and spams exceptions) when player enters a ship directly from the gravity of another ship (physics cleanup wasn't done properly in some occasions)
    - optimized routine for simulation thread a little to not hog less database performance when triggered
    - mothership no longer stops when undocking an object
    - sector protection now includes shield hits
    - improved concurrency of segment generation (depending on type multiple segments(chunks) can be generated at once) -> better multicore usage -> faster object creation when generated (e.g. asteroids)
    - target chasing missiles will now fly in a straight line when the target no longer exists
    - slightly increased speed for target chasing missiles
    - fixed bug in target chasing missile that would cause the client not to have a reference for the target (glitches in flight path)
    - indicator of targeted entity now appears yellow when in missile target mode (to ensure right aiming with objects in the same line of sight)
    - re-enabled local segment caches and improved them with new request system (pooled requests from local disk)

A new normal release will come soon (As soon as i verified that this build works). Thanks you for testing,

Thank you for playing StarMade,

- schema

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'ve been testing sector boundaries on the test server, near spawn.

I made a station at 2 2 1, with it\'s first block on the very edge of 2 2 1, touching 2 2 2.

I found that by entering and then leaving a build block that touches the edge of another sector, I am teleported one sector away (the edge of 2 2 2 / 2 2 3) with a \"spawn error\" notification. This happens from the space station in question regardless of whether the block is in 2 2 1 or 2 2 2. However, if the build block is one block further into 2 2 1 or 2 2 2, thus not in one of the outermost layers in the sector, (imagine a 1 block thick cube that touches the edges of the entire sector, these are obviously the problem areas,) then it\'s fine.

Also of note is the fact that I can build from one sector to another, combined with the spawn protection feature and limit of one station per sector; I bet I could remove all blocks of a station from the sector I originally created it in and end up with blocks ONLY in the sector occupied by another station, (it\'s origin sector, that is,) (which may not cause an error if my station is still recorded as having it\'s origin located where the first block was, [and thus the visible marker as well, lol, albeit with no visible blocks there,] but is definitely not a desireable state;) and I also bet I could do the same by building into any protected sector, including spawn, and then leave only blocks in that sector. Which would also allow for multiple protected stations so long as the sectors they were built into and left in remained protected. (Assuming it\'s stored / referenced that way, not per object.)

And just now (about 15 minutes before this post will be posted), after logging in with this new prerelease, found myself a sector away in the opposite direction, on the edge of 2 2 1 / 2 2 0, instead of being at the boundary of 2 2 2 / 2 2 3. What happened was I logged in at this 2 2 1 / 2 2 0 location (thought it odd, lol =) (it stated 2 2 1, so the far 2 2 0 edge) (I had previously crashed [obviously due to your restart of the server while updating it\'s version] while in a build block or my docked ship of the station at 2 2 1) and flew to my station, then either (I forget =[ ) A: entered the original build block, above the faction block (if you go look), that\'s on the 2 2 1 side of the 2 2 1 / 2 2 2 border, then exited it; B: exited my ship while likely flying over the border... and the result was my camera remaining where it was a few blocks away from the border, on the 2 2 1 side, and my player appearing just over the border on the 2 2 2 side. Then I was teleported to the same 2 2 1 / 2 2 0 edge of the 2 2 1 sector that I had logged in at.

Come to think of it, this bug also causes the station to be invisible before even leaving the build block (though docking and computer/cannon connection visibility cubes are still shown where they were / should be, just like the bug of them showing when the blocks no longer exist or are no longer connected while building a ship).

Screenshots for ^: https://mega.co.nz/#!GQ8gyDQY

Similar *bug*: System boundaries do not remember location and orientation. Though I\'m sure you\'re aware of this one. (Greatly affects navigation via the 3D map. =/)

Other *bug*: Duplication and destruction of blocks (ahaha, MASS IS NOT CONSERVED) placed or removed faster than server has information about. Easy to do since inventory sync is dependent on the connection, so lag often causes this. It doesn\'t even usually require fast clicking for the removal. Screenshots: https://mega.co.nz/#!Hc1WwabS

Also, I\'ve had (many versions ago, haven\'t tested recently) lag based duplication of items in inventory when splitting and/or moving stacks, regardless of whether fully in the inventory or between inventory and hotbar.

Suggestion: Make clicking on something in the 3D map create a waypoint.

Suggestion: Make waypoints a tab, so that they are easy to remember/look up, (locally saved on client!) and when the map or anything else creates a waypoint the current one may be bumped down to the second spot in the current list (being older). Whatever waypoint is clicked on will be the current one, (highlighted also,) but not moved in the list (to keep it sorted chronologically). The current waypoint would be shown separately, above the list, for convenience (no scrolling required) and instant understanding of what is happening. Also, the list could be sorted by other stats, such as: distance from player, name, location relative to each other (not player), distance from a specified point (such as spawn, faction home, or any arbitrary sector), etc.

Suggestion: Make the adv. building mode 10^3 limit server-sided, or enable changing the dimensions past 10 and also add the ability to click and type to change the number. Currently, any simple hacking utility (I use Cheat Engine often) may change these, and large values can easily cause performance issues.

Suggestion: Store screenshots in a \"screenshots\" folder, and use a \"YYYY-MM-DD @ HH;MM;SS (#)\" format instead of \"starmade-screenshot-000#\". ;]

Suggestion: A million more things I\'m not going to bother to re-think of and type here; however, I did post quite a few here: http://star-made.org/content/50-suggestions-first-week-play =]

Thank you for your decision to make this game, your creativity, and your dedication and hard work!

Truly fun! =]

~ Ej

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    1) When mousing over an icon in the 3D map, highlight it (to differentiate from other nearby icons, especially when overlapping).

2) Adv. building dimension size is still falsely persistent (remembers what it was before, but only the visible number, not the actual dimension). (I\'d prefer true persistence over resetting to 1x1x1, with an extra << and >> buttons to jump to min and max without multi clicking. As well as the click-number-and-type-new-one idea, and having a max greater than 10.)

Reaction score
    My hangar bay after installing this update...

http://i.imgur.com/jgqELrI.png

seems like an awful lot of chunk errors, my turrets were also completely destroyed.

And by the way, missiles still fly to your own core before scattering everywhere but the place you were aiming.

Reaction score
    Since the update with the new turning mechanics there has been a major problem with the Star made. When ever I am in a ship and I have any sort of lag I lose control of the ship. It makes the game unplayable. I tried this prebuild and it still happens.

This needs to be either fixed, or the new turning mechanics need to be removed. I deal with it by using an older version. If I was a new player to this game I would decided that the game is unplayable and leave never to return.

I do not want this to happen, I want people to enjoy the game so please remove or fix this. I am not the only one having this problem too.

Reaction score
    If you were a new player just joining and left because you felt like an ALPHA was unplayable, then I\'d say you need to sort out your expectations of an Alpha.

Reaction score
    The game is now unplayble as where it was playable before adding the new turning mechanics. Nobody plays an unplayable game. What is the point.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    The turning makes the game more realistic, but it makes bigger ships a bit underpowered and cubes OP.

Reaction score
    Playable is often a matter of perspective and system specs. If it\'s unplayable in the literal sense that the game slows to a crawl or ceases to function, then sending in reports of your specs and what was happening at the time can help Schema to find a solution to the problem. If it were not for those having issues testing these things and speaking up, then it would never be playable to you because Schema might not otherwise learn of the issues you\'re having.

Reaction score
    I agree you often have to think about what you can get away with in the game, what limits you can push, and what absurd things you can do.

By doing that you can break the current game and send the crash information into schema.

However don\'t forget that if you want something fixed to make the thing in question repeatable, and easy for schema to test.

Reaction score
    http://star-made.org/node/13067

Steps to reproduce new bug.

1. download ship (100x100x100 dis-integrators around a core)

2. make a 25x25x25 ship or bigger

3. fly the 25x25x25 ship into the larger ship fast enough to clip into it.

Reaction score
    To simplify the bug, build a big ship of dis-intigrators, fly another ship into it at high speeds(150 is what this was tested at), and the server crashes.