Starmade not launching after clicking "Start Game"

Reaction score
    Hi!
    After i click start game on the starmade launcher it closes without errors or warnings.
    I've tried a lot of different options but no solution
    I've reinstalled java and it detected a old version which i uninstalled and installed java 64bit 8
    my memory settings are:
    2048 max memory
    512 initial memory
    256 early generation memory
    I've used starmade checker

RESULTS:
    Windows version: Windows 10 64-bit ....PASS
    Processor: AMD A10-5700 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
    Memory: 12288MB RAM
    Graphics Card name: AMD Radeon HD 7660D + R7 240 Dual Graphics ....PASS
    Java version: 64-bit Java 8 ....PASS

after i searched around somewhere i found out that the error will be written as an exception in the log.txt.0 file
    this is the last 5 lines
    [2016-03-29 18:46:58] Exception in thread "main"
    [2016-03-29 18:46:58] java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
    [2016-03-29 18:46:58] at org.schema.game.common.data.explosion.ExplosionDataHandler.a(SourceFile:47)
    [2016-03-29 18:46:58] at obfuscated.WY.a(SourceFile:72)
    [2016-03-29 18:46:58] at org.schema.game.common.Starter.main(SourceFile:960)

Help would be appreciated :)

Full versions of the log file and starmade checker is attached :)

Attachments

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Dang I've encountered this before but I can't remember what fixed, I think I had to delete something...

Reaction score
    Dang I've encountered this before but I can't remember what fixed, I think I had to delete something...
    ive tried deleting the starmade folder in %appdata% without succession if thats what youre talking about

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    When it happened to me that that didn't work either, it was one specific file in the SM folder itself. Hopefully someone who knows which one will hapen upon this thread.

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    logs sayed the game loads 32 bit java.

Pls deinstall all javas and install 64 bit JDK java (Intel Laptops or all in one pcs need it. Perhaps it helps with amd laptops too).

Java SE Development Kit 8 - Downloads

Edit : The best is : deinstall all javas, reboot pc, install jdk, reboot again and start the StarMade-starter.exe as admin and look if the memory settings in launcher really what you have written and not a 0 more or so. Then the most what going wrong is fixed and we will see if it run.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    logs sayed the game loads 32 bit java.

Pls deinstall all javas and install 64 bit JDK java (Intel Laptops or all in one pcs need it. Perhaps it helps with amd laptops too).

Java SE Development Kit 8 - Downloads

Edit : The best is : deinstall all javas, reboot pc, install jdk, reboot again and start the StarMade-starter.exe as admin and look if the memory settings in launcher really what you have written and not a 0 more or so. Then the most what going wrong is fixed and we will see if it run.
    ive changed the memory settings since this thread to
    but i havent restarted the pc since i installed the new java
    [DOUBLEPOST=1459278605,1459277417][/DOUBLEPOST]Tried after restart, still not working
    heres the new log

Attachments

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    trying to use 4gb ram with a 32 bit java? there's your problem.

Download and install 64 bit. Remove 32 completely from your system

Reaction score
    trying to use 4gb ram with a 32 bit java? there's your problem.

Download and install 64 bit. Remove 32 completely from your system
    I had the 64bit java but didnt restart, uninstalled the 32 bit, installed the 64bit JDK after a restart and then restarted it again then on the post above you have the new log file

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Please also check the second memory-settings tab:

memory.png
    then the menu has two tabs:

Tab 1 - Client & SinglePlayer
    Max: 2048 (May be increased to 4096 in case you have plenty of ram free)
    Initial: 512
    Early Gen: 256

Tab 2 - Dedicated Server
    Max: 1024
    Initial: 1024

Make sure you check both tabs, and set them to the above mentioned settings and try again.

- Andy

Reaction score
    Please also check the second memory-settings tab:

View attachment 23918
    then the menu has two tabs:

Tab 1 - Client & SinglePlayer
    Max: 2048 (May be increased to 4096 in case you have plenty of ram free)
    Initial: 512

Tab 2 - Dedicated Server
    Max: 1024
    Initial: 1024

Make sure you check both tabs, and set them to the above mentioned settings and try again.

- Andy
    Thankyou!
    it finally works, but one thing i cant understand, why does the memory settings have to be the exact these, and then its not even set as default?

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Well, the early gen is 128 by default, and usually only needs to be raised when having a lot of custom blocks/textures installed.
    (I do not 100% know the reason, but playing around with settings and many custom blocks revealed a shortage in that default setting, however only affects very few cases.)

The 1024/1024 on server side are usually default settings.
    1024/512 should be the original default setting for the client side.
    Enabling shaders, procedural background and many of the advanced video features seems to require a higher ram to store the stuff, so 2048 was the next step to try.

They do not need to be the exactly this way, those were safe settings we worked out, to rule out many rare use cases (many custom blocks/textures) and very high video settings in one shot.

Feel free to share your client settings here and the values you had in both tabs before and we can see if there was some pattern we may be able to detect and troubleshoot easier next time.

- Andy

Reaction score
    Well, the early gen is 128 by default, and usually only needs to be raised when having a lot of custom blocks/textures installed.
    (I do not 100% know the reason, but playing around with settings and many custom blocks revealed a shortage in that default setting, however only affects very few cases.)

The 1024/1024 on server side are usually default settings.
    1024/512 should be the original default setting for the client side.
    Enabling shaders, procedural background and many of the advanced video features seems to require a higher ram to store the stuff, so 2048 was the next step to try.

They do not need to be the exactly this way, those were safe settings we worked out, to rule out many rare use cases (many custom blocks/textures) and very high video settings in one shot.

Feel free to share your client settings here and the values you had in both tabs before and we can see if there was some pattern we may be able to detect and troubleshoot easier next time.

- Andy
    but if it requires HIGHER ram, why whouldnt the game work if i had for example 4096 2048 1024
    those are the settings that worked when i played eariler versions of the game

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    I honestly have no idea.
    This may be a thing of java, and the 1024 as early generation value may hit operating system limitations for the internal code space (code-cache?).
    But not really sure, as java memory management + garbage collection is some awesome science
    I am not understanding well enough to explain this problem.

I only know:
    The max value for clients can be increased to round about 4GB with performance increase, after that the performance starts to decrease again (garbage collector takes longer and causes noticeable performance hits).
    Servers act a bit different, they can utilize more ram, but usually also have incremental garbage collection enabled.
    However raising the min-/early generation-values can cause the VM to not start at all.

- Andy