StarMade keeps crashing when I try to play (Steam Bought)

Reaction score
    Hello everyone!
    I am a little drunk right now, so keep that in mind, as it is a little hard for me to type but I will try my best to make sure that everything makes sense. Yay auto correctness
    Ok, to start out, I bought StarMade from steam for 10$ and I am very disappointed to report that I cannot even play the game, because every time I launch it, it crashes. And every time I try to re-launch it, a window pops up acknowledging the fact that it had crashed previously and telling me that it is most likely due to my video card. Now, following the advice of this error window, I have updated my drivers and stuff but still, it crashes. I have used the 'check what your system can do tool' otherwise known as the hardware checker and have encountered no problems, as it says that I should be able to run the game. I have verified my game cache on steam, and no errors were encountered. I have messed with all the settings possible to see maybe if it was a bug in the settings, but that has not provided me with any hope as the game just continually crashes upon start-up. I do not have a crap computer. It has an i7 Intel core processor with a fancy Nvidia graphics card and tons of RAM to boot, so i don't think the specs on my laptop are to weak to run the game. I think its something else I have no expertise in. Any help would be appreciated, and to know I'm not the only one with this problem would make me feel better, although I feel like I am the only one with this problem because google has not helped me in this instance. I'd really like to play this game, as sand-box space simulators are a dream come true for me. I also want to be a noble pirate that flies an extremely over-sized X-wing, so if you wanna help a pirate with aspirations, here is your chance!
    Thanks a bunch in advance,
    fellow person that just wants to play StarMade,
    ExiaGod
    HAPPY NEW YEARS BTW

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    *is copy&pasting a canned response from the official support website help.star-made.org*

If you have another graphics card in your computer, tell your computer to execute java on it only.(In case of NVidia cards you can do this in the "NVidia control center")
    Adding "javaw.exe" to the program list and setting it to 'GPU only' usually fixes it.
    The 'power saving GPU' may cause issues with full GL support and cause the shaders to crash on startup.

You may also visit the website of the manufacturer of your graphics card and get the latest beta drivers for your card, since the stick drivers usually update to 'safe', but not 'optimized' versions for maximum performance and support of functions.

Also, please install the 64bit Java Development Kit (JDK), since some intel drivers seem to link against extended java functions the default Java Runtime Environment (JRE) does not support.
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwok/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html
    Check this page for downloads for your system. (Select '64 bit Offline' for windows)

Reaction score
    • Tester
    JDK is most likely not required here (beeing an NV GPU card) but make sure you run at 64bit Java and a maybe 32bit java also installed has the same Version as the 64 bit Version.
    If it still crashes upload the log.txt.x file from the games log folder with the timestamp of the last crash here to have a look.

Reaction score
    How would I load the log.txt.x files from the game log? As I think that will provide a direct link to the problem and trouble shooting will becoming much much easier

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    The logs are only required if the previously provided solutions fail.

And there are several hosting services for uploading files. Most cloud services allow the generation of a link too.