StarMade 0.15 is out

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Stunning, exciting changes in this update. Looking forward to all the design + gameplay styles this will alter and enhance.

Reactions: Arkudo
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I for one find this news to be a little unsettling. While I am very excited for the new weapon system I personally do not feel that proper balance has been achieved yet for it to be publically viable. Every combat test I have performed has resulted in a stalemate, even between a single fighter and vastly superior destroyer (I was going to make a video demonstration of this after work). Every ship I have tested has power problems both powering guns as well as shields. In most of these cases alterations to the weapon systems will fix the problem but many of the ships do not have viable solutions to their power problems.

Reactions: Unnamed25
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds"- Bhagavad Gita

Reaction score
    I've been looking forward to this. Now for major experimentation!

Reaction score
    Shameless suggestion plug: Artificial Horizon as well as other "snap to orientation" features.

I for one find this news to be a little unsettling. While I am very excited for the new weapon system I personally do not feel that proper balance has been achieved yet for it to be publically viable. Every combat test I have performed has resulted in a stalemate, even between a single fighter and vastly superior destroyer (I was going to make a video demonstration of this after work). Every ship I have tested has power problems both powering guns as well as shields. In most of these cases alterations to the weapon systems will fix the problem but many of the ships do not have viable solutions to their power problems.
    I noticed this too. There is too much reliance on power, causing a bottleneck. We need to remove the reliance of power from some things, or be able to make dedicated groups of generators for specific systems only (multiple power cores if you will)

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I have tested the weapon system AND IT IS AWESOME AND REALLY WELL BALANCED!!

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    As said in the news. The vanilla balance is currently in testing. The new config enables us and any player to make changes on the fly to try out new things. You can change everything from power/shield recharge scaling to weapon behavior in that config in /data/config/blockBehaviorConfig.xml

We're now constantly looking for feedback from players and servers to improve the vanilla balance

Reactions: WarmasterRaptor
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    As said in the news. The vanilla balance is currently in testing. The new config enables us and any player to make changes on the fly to try out new things. You can change everything from power/shield recharge scaling to weapon behavior in that config in /data/config/blockBehaviorConfig.xml

We're now constantly looking for feedback from players and servers to improve the vanilla balance
    my feedback to you is to make shield regeneration bound to a hotkey, because i am helpless when someone shoots at me because when shields recharge it takes SO much power!

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    my feedback to you is to make shield regeneration bound to a hotkey, because i am helpless when someone shoots at me because when shields recharge it takes SO much power!
    ^ This

It would help greatly if shield regen was removed/reduced from shield blocks. Shield blocks should provide a little regen but most of it should be handled by a separate system. This way we can fine tune the ships to have as much regen as they can without overwhelming our power systems. This would open up a whole new layer of shipbuilding as well. You could have tank ships with tons of shields but slow regen and ships with very little capacity but faster charging shields.

Reaction score
    Every ship I have tested has power problems both powering guns as well as shields. In most of these cases alterations to the weapon systems will fix the problem but many of the ships do not have viable solutions to their power problems.
    Maybe its time to build new ships then...

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Maybe its time to build new ships then...
    Yes I am fully aware that all ships will need to be refit with the new systems in mind. I am still very concerned with the stalemates I've gotten in combat testing, even between ships where one is clearly the better.

Reaction score
    So FTL is next then? Too soon?

Beyond that, I like that I can turn bump mapping on using the Realistic texture pack now.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Titans seem to be more laggy and suck now..
    Also somehow 5mil shields turned into 206mil shields..

Reactions: aceface
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Why I don't think this was quite ready. Several bugs, a server that's freaking out and general concerns

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This update as i see it:
    Huge power usage by shields and huge shield capacity buff.
    AMCs now do lower damage, shoot slower, they use more power, but have better range

Cool new weapons
    Also power storage was halved(?)

Reaction score
    Why I don't think this was quite ready. Several bugs, a server that's freaking out and general concerns

yeah I agree I knew this would happen so this update was most likely pushed to release. the cannon projectiles fly to slowly making them completely useless. and the cannon is my favorite weapon type :(.