StarMade 0.0944: Chain Docking, Balance, Fixes

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hello and welcome to StarMade,

the new version is ready to go live. This version will improve server stability, improve balance, and finally allow players to dock with a ship, that already has docked structures on it.

EDIT: v0.04441: Hotfix: fixed log spam (happening on big ships)

Here is the full change log:

- mineral recipes now 1:10. Recipes for hull -> wedge etc (thanks to starcitsura)
    - finally fixed long lasting bug that was cauing an astronaut to be at local position 0,0,0 for one frame. This for example caused the sudden planet-kill (even if only in orbit) was it to happen near a planet that had lava at the center
    - items in space are no longer picked up if inventory is full
    - added borderless windowed mode to advanced options in the startup
    - inventory management for building has been moved to server to combat duplication/loss due to lag
    - fixed transmission synchronization of point distribution. (damage, speed, etc not changing, or saving) (player were unable to set weapon percent settings, or they didn't save)
    - AMC balance (more damage causes more time to reload) (impact has been reduced since the pre build. Still not final of course)

- fixed physics ray detection (optimization calculated bounding box too small)
    - fixed server freezing from running out of buffer pool
    - fixed chain docking position

- fixed client being able to kill server by purposly sending malformed command
    - fixed connection map not working (hash code did not produce valid values): weapons/connecting did not work
    - fixed server crash when admin attempted to sector change player in a docked ship
    - fixed vulnerability where clients could cause the server to "pause"
    - fixed bug that forbid client to dock in some cases
    - fixed core duping bug exploit with using symmetry
    - added spam protection for spawning cores
    - weapon slot assignment is now saved by player+ship
    - fixed HUD display when switching from missile lock-on mode
    - controls gittering should be gone (only happened on lower fps)
    - fixed AI shooting at dead target (and doing no damage)
    - shield recharge not deactivated under fire, but only reduced (the less shields left, the less the nerf is (up to 25%)) (see here for more information)
    - secondary weapon more for AMC: right click now fires weapons without focusing on the same point when aiming
    - shift clicking on full box no longer eats the item (stashes where that happened in the previous version should be removed and reset)
    - private messages can now be sent from console
    - new admin command: /faction_set_entity (changes faction of any entity)
    - new admin command: /faction_set_all_relations ally/neutal/enemy (sets all non-NPC faction relations to neutral, ally or enemy)
    - fixed chain docking's wrong orientation
    - non turret local AI search range from 750 to 2500 (about what a player can target)
    - AI will now engage at a weapon range that is more sure to do damage
    - implemented chaindocking to work with the blueprint system
    - fixed physics duplication problem with chain docking when undocking the middle link
    - fixed crash when switching to wedge in adv build mode from upside down spike
    - fixed bug where AI simulation would spawn blueprints with a name longer then the limit in the SQL database (name gets truncated now)
    - optimized file management to not stall as much for header writing
    - fixed bug where writing/reding headers was not thread safe (causing NoHeaderException)
    - fixed bug where projectiles and beams seem to be shot from another position than the blocks that are firering are

As always please backup your data when you update (the launcher will automatically create one on update), and please don't panic if there is something wrong. If there is something serious, please post here, send me an email, or tell a tester.

Work on new features has also been done. I hope the servers are now more stable, so I can fully focus on new features.

Thank you for playing StarMade,

- schema

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    schema I am currently following a few games that are either not released or still in alpha and none of them compare to starmade. your quick updates and detailed changelogs are very impressive, I think you have a great fan base. keep up all the good work buddy I can tell your working your butt off on this game.

Reaction score
    If the NPC have increadibly large ships, and they spawn by shooting the shops. The ships will spawn colliding into each other and cause the server to lag.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Yeah, that\'s on my list of things to fix next :)

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Schema please o please add a proper 3rd person view :3

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Would be great

Connect one or more storage plex to the core automatically keeps items collected in space or caught by salvage beam

Beam size based on the size of the front size of the canon / missile

Reaction score
    Ive been having some funny bugs with random recipes lately, causing crashes when you try to disable them. I have sent a bug report though and a link to the block config and block id\'s file im using

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I think this won\'t really change how the multiplayer gameplay goes. Nobody that plays in a competitive way creates AMC arrays of huge damage each, because the best way for making raw DPS is having more outputs with small damage each other instead, and now with this changes, this techinique which usually creates FPS lag will be even more encouraged... IMHO i think we should had make it the reverse way, nerfing how those arrays deal damage in comparisson to big cannons, because this is one of the reasons that we cannot really have a big battle on a server yet, because even the highest PC rig will be on trouble to render all those 99999 cannons shooting at once.

Reaction score
    Hi schema.

Still hard waiting for pong with login information and server freeze ):

[SERVER] client has not send any login information: 2001 / 10000
    [SERVER] client has not send any login information: 6001 / 10000
    [SERVER] client has not send any login information: 3001 / 10000
    [SERVER] client has not send any login information: 7001 / 10000
    [SERVER] client has not send any login information: 4001 / 10000
    [SERVER] client has not send any login information: 8001 / 10000
    [SERVER] client has not send any login information: 5001 / 10000
    [SERVER] client has not send any login information: 9001 / 10000
    [SERVER] client has not send any login information: 6001 / 10000
    [SERVER] client has not send any login information: 10001 / 10000

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Ok. Can you maybe send me an email with the server log. Also, do you know how to make a thread dump. I\'ll make it top prio to fix this

Reaction score
    New features! New features! #hype

Glad a nerf happened for AMC that wasn\'t too crazy (in my opinion anyway) Good luck on the next one!

Reaction score
    Hi.

I sent you the logs. what you mean with \"do you know how to make a thread dump\".

Cheers

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I don\'t see the increased power costs for amc arrays that was in the last pre-build in the changelog, is that still in and using modifiedEToFire = eToFire*(1.0+numGunsInCPU*0.1) ? (e.g. per shot or collection of shots fired simultaneously)

Also, about the fire rate change, if it\'s not too much trouble can you share the current AMC fire rate equation? It would help to make this accurate again: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0ArfBRDTBNF_LdHlYN1NkYzZ4UENnV1RaNk5iVHlxWUE&usp=drive_web

(Currently I have on that (on the AMCs page) what the AMCs would be like if the fire rate change did not exist and the power requirement is using the aforementioned formula, and the most notable result is that it would be entirely possible to build a large ship which was capable of over 8 million dps using something like 120 or so 20,000 unit guns and either a small power generator and a medium or large capacitor (25^3-100^3 blocks), or just a large power cube (100x100x100 would be overkill, I think). If you want long battles, then the nerf to fire rate with big guns is probably necessary. )

I think it would help to have an additional visual indicator of the percent strength of the shields of enemy ships, especially since recharge under fire is a thing again and the rates vary.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Or just make AMC DPS depend directly on power consumption.