Starbit server conspiracy

Does this seem like admin abuse to you?

• Total voters
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    20160601000503_1.jpg
    [DOUBLEPOST=1464766784,1464763895][/DOUBLEPOST]For those that are wondering and anyone who stumbles upon this here- I will give an account of what has happened in the last week from my perspective. I looked for a new server to play on and stumbled upon Starbits. As their only server rule posted at the time that I saw was that pvp was allowed, I thought I would give it a try. Shortly after joining the server I started asking questions of the general community to find out how things worked on the server. As someone who likes to build big and have big fights, I wanted to know if I would be breaking any rules by doing so. The general community's response to those question were a resounding no, there were no size or mass rules on the server.

I then started looking for a faction, and met Nuclear Doughnut, who was intrigued by the size of things that I like to build and/or fly. After a bit of talking, he and I became friends and we were going to start working on a few projects together. That night, after I went to bed, apperantly Doughnut, as well as others, went to someone's homebase and was going to try to attack them if they had anything undocked. (For those of you who may not know, this is a very common way to attack someone) and said player launched a cloud of entities that all crashed into Doughnut's ship. In the process, one of Doughnut's docked injectors came undocked and caused even more lag and ended up crashing the server, for which he was asked to remove the ship, and due to the file corruption on the server, he was unable to do so. Since he was unable to remove the ship, ErthParadine him for 7 days, at the end of which he said it would be revisited and then reconsidered. At the end of the 7 days, NuclearDoughnut was declared perma-banned.

The next morning, I logged back on to the server and immediately died because somehow, sometime after Doughnut had gotten off the server, our homebase was undeclared as our homebase and thus unprotected. Someone found it in this state and then had declared it to be a free for all open to the server. So when I (who didn't even have a ship yet) logged on, I was immediately killed. After doing some digging, the admin ErthParadine (who has been the only active admin throughout my time there) declared that the player Feyy unclaimed the homebase. All would have been fine with this declaration except one thing: Feyy didn't have a high enough faction rank to edit the homebase or remove its protection. The only two people in the faction who had this high of access were offline at the time of the base being unclaimed. So somehow the base was unprotected and all of our resources were stolen.

Since we had nothing left and I was just starting out, I joined a couple smaller factions before I found one that fit my semi-aggressive play-style that I was wanting to pursue on the server. There I mined the materials and worked together with my faction to get in a very nice homebase with efficient factories and a shipyard that I ended up extending quite a bit. We kept building up our fleet of ships and growing together as a faction when one of our members got an idea. He was going to attack someone and built a ship that had swarmer missiles on a clock that would continuously fire missiles, but with only about 10 outputs, staggered to cause the least amount of lag possible while being able to overload someones anti-missile systems. He docked this ship to the spawn when he had to go afk for a little bit and when he came back found out that he had accidentally set off the missiles when he docked. He tried to shut off the logic for the system but ended up getting disconnected (as there are a ton of ships near the spawn as well as a moving base that was built AROUND a shop, causing lag). His missiles ended up adding to the lag which was too much for his cpu. He continued to try to log back in to desperately try to shut the thing off and stop the server lag, but in the meantime was perma-banned for griefing, and was only given a few hours to appeal before ErthParadine decided he would hear no rebuttles to the situation.

Then today some members of Event-Horizon (NuclearDoughnut's faction) logged on and started taking chunks off the homebase to try to clear up server lag. Them being near the base was adding to the server load (This server isn't super powerful), and the act of them removing chunks of blocks and multiple people working on the base at a time ended up sending the server into another crash. All members who were involved and one who wasn't. (Shawn who was mentioned in the screenshot above) were then immediately perma-banned. Other reasons that people in my faction were banned: Blowing up planets without mining them completely immediately (not a rule). Blowing up planets and not mining them to save them for later (not a rule). Allegidly being present for things that other people in the faction did, even though they werent even logged in at the time (Come on man, really?). And finally being in the same faction as me (who was banned for reporting a potential lag causing entity that I tried to dismantle first.

It is clear to me that ErthParadine a. does not give any warnings and changes the rules and interpretations of said rules whenever he feels like it, b. does not understand some of the basic things about Starmade, c. doesn't realize that not everything is posted in the Starmade logs correctly, and d. gives meaning to the saying "absolute power corrupts absolutely".

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    If the server rules were laid out before hand, and people broke the rules, it is reasonable to enforce those rules. I don't entirely know the situation, but this chat doesn't seem like admin abuse.

Edit; posted this when it was only an image. The story is definitely admin abuse.

Erth Paradine

Server Admln & Bug Reporter
    Reaction score
    I am owner/admin of StarBits; for the past few months we've had a burgeoning griefing issue that has eluded resolution, primarily due to a lack of strong evidence (despite many accusations thrown amongst players). Thanks to an anonymous tip this evening, we finally had an enough information to start bringing closure to its root causes. Yes, I was very upset earlier this evening...heads rolled.

As for my specific language in our server's #general channel, it served its exact purpose: to weed out quieter/passive participants.

We have a well-defined griefing policy, and I'm happy to see that we're finally moving towards closure.

This is StarBit's side of the story (see top five ban threads):
    • Regarding Nuclear Doughnut and Feyy, our side of this story.
    • Regarding Atheu's missile swarmer, our side of the story.
    • Regarding server "performance" issues, quite frankly other players have larger stations, and there's no server-side evidence to support assertions. We've thrown considerable resources at our StarMade servers, and as I've illustrated elsewhere here on The Dock, hardware is not an issue for us.
    • As for planet mining, that is in-fact a rule (search page for "Planet").
    • As for the rest - we've never taken bans lightly, as our forum's content clearly shows. Events tonight were hopefully a big positive step; time will tell.
    • As for pianoknight being a member of the same faction as other griefers, that's not why he was banned.

I also found this to be a fascinating read.

Fly Safe,
    - ErthParadine

edit: updating in response to story added after image was posted.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Simple fact is the the server is tagged as a PvP server but attacking another player is "griefing"?

It feels as though Earth continuously changes rules and facts to fit his needs.

There appears to be a lack of desire on Earths part to seek an understanding of the circumstances surrounding conflicts.

He will listen to his "favorites" and then use admin privileges to harass or perma ban (with zero warning) players that "grief" or cause 'lag".

I'm rather new to Starmade and was perma baned with zero warning, while removing hull from the blown up remains of my factions mysteriously un home based station. I also lacked the rank to de-home-base our station but I was told according to Erth Paradine and his logs, I am the one who caused it to be de-home-based.

His server did not create a very welcoming environment for me as a new player to StarMade.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    If your server considers attacking another player to be griefing, your server is not a PvP server.

Also, you seriously banned him for warning you about a bomb that needed defused or it would fuck up the server?

Reaction score
    I read some of the responses from Erth Paradine, all I can say is that I will side with Doughnut on this one, Event Horizon build big ships, most people on the dock know this, if you do not like big ships, put in a mass limit, simple as that.

Docked entities are part of the game as well, like it or not, they are used, you could easily ban them but chose not to, if a docked entities undocks because someone shoots it and causes the server to crash, that's entirely your fault for not banning them, if you ask Doughnut to remove them and he cannot because of file corruption, then that is the fault of the server, not doughnut.

Also Erth Paradine listed the bans as being as a result of griefing, well then go ahead and de-list your server as a PVP server, because there is no such thing as griefing in PVP, if your server is truly a PVP server, then griefing rules should not exist, if you are saying this is a PVP server, then using rules such as no griefing, your server is not a PVP server, and should not be advertised as such.

Also don't say that "hardware isn't an issue" if your server is lagging at all, then your hardware is simply not good enough.

And one more thing, here is a quote from your server thread

"First-off, from admin to admin: shame on you"

You literally just made a personal attack against a server owner who has put over 4 years of time and effort into this game and is clearly a far superior administrator to anything you could amount to ever. You have no right to personally attack someone who is a veteran in this community and has contributed more to StarMade than most others, especially more than you. So if anything, shame on you.

Reaction score
    I find it suspicious that Erth bans most of my faction mates and my Homebease magically becomes unfactioned so others can take it... Sounds very suspicious and a lot like what happened to Doughnut.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    "big ships" are OK sometimes... PvPing with a ship that can crash servers if its docked reactors come loose should be a bannable offense on any server IMO.

Setting a hard mass limit is just frustrating; unless there are tons of incidents I prefer having them dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

Reaction score
    I'm sorry, but it more looks like SS admins conspiracy. Perhabs it was thier revenge for Doughnut, I don't know.
    4 years of time and effort into this game and is clearly a far superior administrator to anything you could amount to ever.
    Yeah. He always talking about that. Everytime. To everyone. 24/7
    But I think sometime he shouldn't talk without a lawyer present:

It is doesn't matter what are you did, you know. What matters is what you do now. And if your friend doing bad things, you must to stop him, but doesn't protect. Can't believe that Napther was involved in this comedy.
    Something like this.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1464784960,1464784754][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Sounds very suspicious and a lot like what happened to Doughnut.
    Yeah. Strange, don't you think? The same people were in Doughnut's faction. I don't think it was Erth. It would be too stupid.

Napther

Grumpy builder of Kaiju Design Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    OOoh, Pretty.

Now, In order to Attack a faction, One must cause another faction to lose as much Faction Points as possible - this is a standard course of Faction V Faction warfare, as you cannot force the other to submit when their homebase is not under threat. The way people gain faction points on that server is by CLAIMING TERRITORY surrounding the Homebase, And LOSE faction points when they lack sufficient territory.

When these stations are NOT defended, and consist of a Faction block on the standard piece of armour, this job becomes significantly easier to do. This isnt the aforementioned "Griefing". Its PvP. Do not mark your server as such if you and your player base cant take being blown up. I was never challenged once.

Quite frankly, StarBits spawn is the worst spawn I have encountered on a server in terms of issues and load it causes. Which, is Magnified by the fact the Admin will spend his entire time there. Go on, turn on "Draw Lag Statistics On Hud" option in the general options, people, and watch the server begin to have trouble consistently after Erth has joined.

"No Bricknaughts" This rule has been enforced very favourably towards certain buddy-buddy players of the server. Bricknaughts are NOT a cause of lag, they are a style or look of a ship to which a certain someone's representation of a "Star Destroyer" satisfied the "design" requirements. 1) All grey standard hull 2) very simple geometric shape, it was likened to a cheesewedge 3) considering who they are, this ship completely lacked a "usable" interior. I have vessels which work like a charm and are 800m long, 3m in mass, it had significantly more detail and a complete interior - unlike this other vessel . The only thing I lose is FRAMES PER SECOND which is purely client side - Just because a computer is having problems viewing does not mean the server is having problems plotting that entity through space - except in the instances of being in close proximity to entity-laden stations, which, is the case for all ships with multiple docked entities being near it.

If you do not like these large vessels, then introduce a Mass limiting cap And outright put an entity cap on ships.

The Erth also fails to take real advice when it was given about how to reduce lag on the server, and what does cause lag - In fact ACTIVATING the "Collision Damage" option for a short time, even when server resources are already stressed by people using large fleets of smaller, entity-laden vessels And in fact being bias in favour of them. I was warned once about attacking someone ELSES Vessels and trying to get their blocks to salvage since they have over 100 entities, 50 of which being docked internal fighters that are present, and there is no mechanism for their use by AI fleets. I do believe this was eventually rectified when the vessel was replaced by the aforementioned "star destroyer".

And the final nail in the coffin: Abuse of /faction_set_entity 0 against 2 PvP factions. Stations do NOT just unfaction themselves, and KillaKrazy here was the faction leader, However he wasnt on so much but has now told us, right here, this lovely piece of admin bias against PvP factions.

Id advise any serious players to avoid for the future and any "Carebears" to sign right up. Im sure All your needs will be catered for
    [DOUBLEPOST=1464789054,1464788811][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I find it suspicious that Erth bans most of my faction mates and my Homebease magically becomes unfactioned so others can take it... Sounds very suspicious and a lot like what happened to Doughnut.
    Keep up the good fight. Should be enough resources left in that station to make a fleet or a titan-class capable of killing all players on the server provided there is no Admin intervention

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Oh boy, I was waiting for this thread

Yeah. He always talking about that. Everytime. To everyone. 24/7
    But I think sometime he shouldn't talk without a lawyer present:

It is doesn't matter what are you did, you know. What matters is what you do now. And if your friend doing bad things, you must to stop him, but doesn't protect. Can't believe that Napther was involved in this comedy.
    Something like this.
    Ouch, that hurts my confidence in EE2. LCB LITE WHEN BDLS

Reactions: therimmer96
    Reaction score
    After some digging around, I am hearing reports that it may have been a faction member trying to take the station with him. Unfortunately the person making these claims happens to be the one that Piano was having issues with. Hopefully some people will be able to confirm/deny the stories.

In the end, I went in and destroyed the base and reclaimed the resources. The faction that happened to own it when I logged on this morning will now pay for attempting to take my station.

Napther

Grumpy builder of Kaiju Design Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    After some digging around, I am hearing reports that it may have been a faction member trying to take the station with him. Unfortunately the person making these claims happens to be the one that Piano was having issues with. Hopefully some people will be able to confirm/deny the stories.

In the end, I went in and destroyed the base and reclaimed the resources. The faction that happened to own it when I logged on this morning will now pay for attempting to take my station.
    May I ask what faction took it?

Reaction score
    The homebase was my doing. Erth said everyone in the faction was going to be killed (banned) so I left and brought everything I could with me in hopes that whoever didnt get banned would be able to go with me and still have their stuff.

Erth Paradine

Server Admln & Bug Reporter
    Reaction score
    I respectfully disagree with assertions of wrongdoing, and will continue to let the evidence (server logs) speak for itself. I also don't quite know how to respond, other than to reiterate Admins will remain impartial, there's no buddy-buddy favoritism, and there simply has been no malicious use of the faction_set_entity command. Heck, I have not even used this on my own non-admin alt, as doing something like that strips a lot of fun from the game mechanics, and PVP dynamics, and I just don't see the point.

As Ithirahad pointed out, we're fine with larger ships. Many of our players enjoy RP and other activities on such ships. We also continue to see essentially no correlation with server-side lag and entity size, unless an exploit is also involved. This renders block/mass limits a moot topic in this discussion (entity size does induce client-side issues though - a topic we don't concern ourselves with, as Doughnut is well aware of). Our concern is when known defects in the game are exploited to diminish enjoyment by most/all pilots outside an offending sector; for instance designing a very large ship so that minor attacks result in large chunks undocking and becoming trapped inside a hull, and then conveniently leaving such entities around in perpetuity - for an admin to cleanup. An excessive number of docked/undocked external entities also causes similar issues, a topic we're currently working out within the community.

Our spawn is a bit problematic, only in that we've asked participants in our current pirate fleet design competition to dock their entire fleets at spawn for display. That issue will pass soon, and we'll approach the topic differently the next time around. I am personally looking forward to retiring our spawn station, once someone with more design talent than myself, comes along.

Regarding entity limits overall, I fail to see how a lack of self-restraint becomes an excuse for others to endure the consequences.

To clarify how PVP fits in on StarBits. Combat, piracy, and similar forms of gameplay are permitted and encouraged, but not at the expense of other players. In fact, we provide a clear framework of what is permitted and not. For instance, "role-playing" is not an acceptable defense for anti-social behavior, such as intentionally exploiting known defects in the game's design/code.

If our approach is not acceptable to you, then please petition for a rule/config change via our forums, and get our community's input and votes, as dozens of others already have on a variety of topics. Failing that option, please simply leave and not return: you're not a good fit in the StarBits community - it really is that simple.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Every time I start to think 'Maybe I'll give a server a try, check out this multi-player action.'
    Oh yeah. This crap is why I play single-player only. Only one asshole to deal with.

Status
    Not open for further replies.