Star-made orbits using rails, ESA Rosetta

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    My model of the ESA Rosetta satellite in orbit around a custom asteroid Zero-sen made for me from a 3-d object. Using the new rotators, i whipped up a quick gyroscope system which is now used to create a theatrical multi-axis orbit pattern for the satellite to put it on display.

animated gallery here:
    http://imgur.com/gallery/KySyH

updated, better gallery here:
    http://imgur.com/a/PrN2b

as usual, my galleries make use of 'plusnine's fancy starmade effects:
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/plusnines-fancy-starmade-effects.5787/

Last edited:

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    That is pretty dope I must say!

Master1398

Keep calm and quit raging
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Nice! If only the default asteroids would be as big as your artifical asteroid or atleast half the size of it...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    This is amazing. I was considering using the rails to make small satellites to orbit planets, stations, and such. But you've outdone it here.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It would be awesome to do orbital stations without logic, just by ingame laws of physic :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I was playing with it while doing my mod (Survival Expansion) but I didn't think about using it to make things oribt about planet.
    I checked now but planet's gravity have too short radius and objects need to be too close to surface :/

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    the "linear dampening" in the starmade config file essentially determines inertia fall off - that is to say, say your ship is going a maximum speed of 100 and you let off the thrust - inertial dampening will affect how long it takes the ship to drift back down to zero. this can affect piloting because it makes ships overall less maneuverable on the fly, but it also makes the thrust operate more like a throttle.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    the "linear dampening" in the starmade config file essentially determines inertia fall off - that is to say, say your ship is going a maximum speed of 100 and you let off the thrust - inertial dampening will affect how long it takes the ship to drift back down to zero. this can affect piloting because it makes ships overall less maneuverable on the fly, but it also makes the thrust operate more like a throttle.
    Yup I understood after playing with this config. I just had problem with understeanding that word because my english isn't good...

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    That would be cool but cannot and will not work.. There's no stably orbiting a dodecahedronal tiled gravity field, at least with the way gravity currently works. You always gain more speed than gravity allows for and go flying off into extraorbital space..