SPAS: Starmade Players Against Silence - we need sound and music!

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hereby I call upon the comunity to support me in the attempts to break the dead silence of space, and through a community effort, let Starmade have the sounds and soundtrack it deserves.

"Why do we need to bother about that" you may ask. The answer is one word: Immersion.
    Music and sounds in games affect immersion tremendously. To see how much, I present you academic studies in this field (even though in the first 2, only the abstract is available for free):

http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2146327
    http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1056894
    http://www.google.hu/books?hl=hu&lr...onepage&q=music immersion video games&f=false

Fact is, this has been studied, thoroughly. The correct choice of music and sounds increase immersion, lets you feel the universe and the game, and makes it a lot more realistic. In Starmade's case, it could help you feel like you are actually flying a starship, actually firing some devastating weaponry, and actually taking serious damage in a battle. A well-made soundtrack could help feel the vast empty space, lessen the boredom of a long flight, increase the thrill of a battle, or the excitement of exploring a part of the universe you have never seen before.

The dev team has coding, conceptualising, graphic design and game mechanics covered. They however, seem to be lacking in the sound and music department. I know many of you have probably asked the question "What could the community do to make the game better?"
    I have seen the builds in the default stations contest. I have seen the planets which are actually 3-dimensional objects now. I have seen StarMade evolve, as have you. Many ingame features born from community initiative, many testers and even some developers started as simple members of the community. The game looks great. Time to make it sound great, too.

So, come, those of you who are willing to put their sound editing and music composing skills into use and let's create an awesome sound and music pack, even if only as a community mod, for the game.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    hrrm, I could make a little mod for SM, that plays random .wav files from a folder.
    Should I?
    [EDIT]
    FYI, .mp3 and most other common formats cannot be used due to copyright and licensing of the format and the corresponding codecs.
    [/EDIT]

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    The base game of StarMade should stay silent. If you want music, find some nice soundtracks and put them on in the background before you start playing.

Or make someone slave away making a mod.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The base game of StarMade should stay silent. If you want music, find some nice soundtracks and put them on in the background before you start playing.

Why should it stay silent? Name any other game of this genre that's silent.

hrrm, I could make a little mod for SM, that plays random .wav files from a folder.
    Should I?
    [EDIT]
    FYI, .mp3 and most other common formats cannot be used due to copyright and licensing of the format and the corresponding codecs.
    [/EDIT]
    How about FLAC?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Exactly: almost no other game is silent.

Adding sound to the vanilla game would just ruin the real feeling of space.
    I completely disagree. A nice calm ambient music for when you're just traveling around would be nice. It shouldn't be overwhelming, but calming and generally nice to listen to over and over again.

But when the pirates come... Well, then you won't know what hit you.
    This is a nice example of music I came across today: http://starmadedock.net/threads/archers-music-concepts-for-starmade.3719/

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    @schema pls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![DOUBLEPOST=1413483910,1413483747][/DOUBLEPOST]i honestly don't care about music, BUT WE NEED FRIKKEN SOUND FX!!!!!!!! THIS GAME WILL COME TO A WHOLE NEW LEVEL OF PROFFESIONELLNESS IF IT DOES!

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    guys, look in the audio resources folder. all those sounds schine own the licenses to use in starmade. The reason they don't is their waiting for features to be more finalized before deciding what sounds to play where, so they can chose the best sound to fit the job.

Reactions: Winterhome

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    i actually did a trailer for one of my ships not too long ago that makes really good use of the sounds that r present in the games files
    so they exist and schema knows it but its like @therimmer96 says. they will be implemented in time

Reactions: Winterhome
    Reaction score
    I think most of the music here fits the mysterious sort of feeling you want from a space game:
    http://sacrifice-shiny.wikia.com/wiki/Soundtrack

(from what I would say is my favorite game of all time)

The various battle themes could be played on pirate encounters. Space could have "Main Menu" or "Charnal". walking on a planet could be James, Persephone, or Stratos.

There are a lot of very good themes here. Give it a listen if you get a chance. It really makes me want to play the game again (its from 2000, but the cult pressure has kept enough updates for it to still run in Windows 7, not sure what I will do when it wont run anymore).

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

No.[DOUBLEPOST=1413600079,1413600016][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Adding sound to the vanilla game would just ruin the real feeling of space.
    That is opinion only, and your opinion is wrong in my opinion. ;)

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    http://starmadedock.net/content/musicmade.1522/
    Version 0.1 is out.
    READ THE DESCRIPTION and don't expect too much, it was the work of 5-20 minutes.
    I will continue to work on it tomorrow(and hopefully post a new version)

[EDIT]There are issues when using it on windows, I am working on fixing them[/EDIT]

Last edited:

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Megacrafter, you're boss. Also, definitely use ogg, since the audio files of starmade are stored in that format so it definitely has to have a codec built in.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Megacrafter, you're boss. Also, definitely use ogg, since the audio files of starmade are stored in that format so it definitely has to have a codec built in.
    That codec lies within the lwjgl library, which I don't want to use, because it works different from the standard java, so I'd have to add a special case just for ogg files.