Source of lag identified

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Just a little info that might interest some of you.

Thank you all for testing and providing me with info!

While looking into different things I finally stumbled across the mechanism that is causing client and server slowdown (fps drop + server lag).

I can't say much about the details yet since I have to find out what happens, but I can fully recreate the slowdown now.

For some reason flying back into an already loaded sector (going to the neighbor sector, and then going back) is causing the physics to go crazy on a pretty low level. For a yet unknown reason it takes forever now to calculate the same collision data as it did before (when first starting/visiting in the sector) with no slowdown.

To test this (and it would be great if you could confirm this) you have to park a fairly big ship (50x50x50 depending on machine running) on a planet in singleplayer. Apparently the effect of the bug scales exponentially with the size of the two objects near to each other. When doing this, it shouldn't cause that much lag depending on the machine again (if you already get insane lag, restart the game). However then try warping to a different sector and instantly (within 20 seconds) warp back to the sector (keeping in mind to not warp into the planet as that would defeat the purpose) will cause the bug. The same can be archived by flying the ship into the neighbor sector and then coming back and landing. For some reason going back to a sector in which there are objects the server hasn't unloaded yet (for caching purposes), your framerate and ping should drop drastically.

As always, a reproducable bug is a fixable bug, so I hope to find out the exact reason soon, killing one of the most annoying bugs in the game right now.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I really am excited for this to be fixed. Thanks for the update, seeing progress is a step in the right direction. Squish this and a lot of gameplay options open up.

Reaction score
    Game also massively drops FPS on slower PC, when you enter the advanced build mode while have selected any block that have different orientations.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    aye, atm im using a very inefficient way of drawing selections. I hope to improve that soon

Reaction score
    Another drawback that this thing has is, that sometimes, every texture dissapears and only cure is restart :/

Reaction score
    Thought:

You probally already covered this, but would it have not finished unloading the data from the sector, then continues to unload the data when returning, starting a loop causing it to cache and un-cashe at the same time?

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Echt klasse.

Ich hoffe wir konnten helfen den Bug zu finden.

Ich kann den fix kaum erwarten.

Reaction score
    Can\'r wait for this bug to be squashed. Thanks for telling us what was causing it, thanks.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I just noticed, you fixed new logo offcenter ;] sorry for a little offtopic

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    for us it was a shop and station near a plannet and we had to export the sector because the lag is less then 1FPS and takes 30 min to get out the area. the other is shop and station near a large ship. Same thing, cant play at all due to 1fps.

We glad to see progress on this.