Some weird problem I've been having with gravity

EMC007

The guy who's always in way over his head
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So, I have been building some rather large ships lately, but I seem to always encounter this bug, (at least I'm assuming its a bug).

When I reach a certain point, far enough from the core, gravity stops working. I'm still in the hallway, right next to a block, but it quits. I can't even Align with the ship, it just un-aligns the second I hit space. I placed a gravity block next to me, yet still gravity wouldn't work.

And, I know this is not just my world, cause it happened on my single player world and two servers I joined, not including my own, which is where I first encountered the bug. And I know it isn't my computer, because my friend and I were building a ship he designed, and he encountered the same problem on his computer.

So if anyone knows how to fix this or has been experiencing it as well, please tell me.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    try increasing the sector size in your config settings. :)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I've only ever seen this while docked to something else, where it has existed for a long time. Terribly annoying bug... But if it's happening when not docked, then by all means, report the bug. phab.starma.de is our current bug tracker.

EMC007

The guy who's always in way over his head
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ok, thanks guys!

I'll try increasing the sector size, but if that doesn't work, I'll just wait until they fix it to do any role playing

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Purchased!
    I have not played the game in a while, so take the following with a grain of salt.

This has happened to my science ship, due to the asymmetrical nature of the core placement. For some reason the game is treating the gravity bounding box as if the core was in the center of the ship. The thing is, that the core was in the cockpit in the front, so travelling too far back (the core sample room is far enough for this to happen) causes this glitch for me.

So say you have a ship that was 200m x 30m x 50m and had the core in the bridge on top, gravity may not work properly in the bottom, because the calculation assumes the core is in the center. It will try to create a gravity field that would encompass the ship, but will center it on the core instead, leaving a huge lack of gravity in the lower decks, and a huge gravity field above the ship.

My science vessel, for those who wish to confirm or deny my explanation.
    http://starmadedock.net/content/long-range-science-vessel.3207/