Some missiles fail (dud) - feature or bug?

Reaction score
    I've frequently noticed missiles shot from the controlled body of my ships to just not do any damage. They visibly reach their target without getting intercepted, hit it - bot nothing happens. Since I'm only using the lock on type I can only tell about those. Happed both with them locked on and shooting straight forward. Is there something I don't know?
    Right now I have a ship with four identical missile+beam groups, controlled by three computers (2 forward, 1 left, 1 right) Supposedly the sideways facing missiles lock on my aim and arc in on their target, hitting it from the back or the sides - but nothing happens.

Reaction score
    Some effects will completely remove block damage if slaved.
    ... okay you will probably not make that mistake.
    Jokes aside, missiles tend to glitch out when the server lags. They also doesnt hit when there is too much missiles fired at once (the game cannot handle so many missile entities). Or, you might not see the damage because the enemy is bugged.

These are all my experience with the missile. If it persists and is a true bug, then a game uninstall and re-install is proposed.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Sometimes entities in a different sector get bugged and don't take damage from weapons.

Try reloading the target ship and/or restarting the game. There's an option to clear client cache in the tools menu which sometimes helps sort out weird stuff going on in the game.

Reaction score
    Thanks, I'll think of that in the future. This time the missiles hit without me doing anything - just by waiting.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Check your "max explosions" setting (different from max missiles rendered). If you have more missiles than that number impacting (or just blowing up) it will queue the missile's damage on impact. I havn't heavilly tested it, but it seems like sometimes they will impact and explode in relatively the same place(since the actual explosion/damage is queued) meaning all the queued explosions all happen in a place that's already destroyed, and waste their damage in blockless space.