[SOLVED]Starmade Using More Ram Than Allocated?

Reaction score
    Hi,
    As title says the game is using more ram than allocated.
    I have a mac and I have allocated the default ram settings.(early gen memory 128,inital 512,max 1024)
    And when the message appears ''you are running low on memoy'' i checked from Activity Monitor that Starmade is using 2gb of ram and there is like 60 mb free on mac.
    So what is this? a game problem or computer problem?

My specs are:
    IMac(late-2009)
    OSX 10.7.5 Lion
    Proccessor:Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 ghz
    Memory Ram:4GB 1067 mhz DDR3
    Graphics Card:Nvidia Geforce 9400 256 mb

I know that my computer is MEGA LOW for this game but it runs smoothly until the message.
    Please help.

Reactions: Dire Venom

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    So how much memory exactly is allocated? 128 megabytes allocated? SM will need more because of how much content it has now for optimal performance. It probably will be able to run on 128 megabytes but as much RAM as you can allocate is the best option. If the game is taking more RAM than it's given that might either be a bug (you should probably have posted this in game support) or the game is "making an attempt" to keep itself running.

Reaction score
    FYI: this game really should have 4-8 gb of available memory if you are playing online with others and seems to consume about 1.5gb just to open it up and sit around in the void if I recall; so, those ram settings would not work as a hard limit anyway.

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    He answered that, numpty.
    Yes I read what he said but I wasn't sure how much RAM exactly. IIRC the default is 1024 megabytes I think? I might understand the bit with the parenthesis now.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The max memory size is only what is allocated to StarMade itself, but there is also a varying amount of overhead for the Java Virtural Machine. Also, while I'm not sure about StarMade's specifics, applications can also load things into memory outside of the application heap, like a native library.

Regarding the "low memory" message, if you are only giving the game 1GB to work with, and you have the max chunks drawn set too high, the game will quickly run out of memory and start chugging.

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Reducing the Chunk draw (view distance) does wonders for increasing performance on liw spec machines :3

Starmade does seem to love gobbeling up ram imo.

Reaction score
    The max memory size is only what is allocated to StarMade itself, but there is also a varying amount of overhead for the Java Virtural Machine. Also, while I'm not sure about StarMade's specifics, applications can also load things into memory outside of the application heap, like a native library.

Regarding the "low memory" message, if you are only giving the game 1GB to work with, and you have the max chunks drawn set too high, the game will quickly run out of memory and start chugging.
    Well I have the game on lowest settings
    [doublepost=1521211726,1521211653][/doublepost]
    Yes I read what he said but I wasn't sure how much RAM exactly. IIRC the default is 1024 megabytes I think? I might understand the bit with the parenthesis now.
    There isnt an EXACT ram option in the game if you play it tough

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    So what is this? a game problem or computer problem?
    As I said, it is normal, and expected behavior that a Java application uses more memory than what is specified by the Max memory setting.
    While your computer has the minimum required 4GB of RAM, another listed requirement (at least on the Steam store page) is that 2GB be allocated for StarMade. So I would say that this is a configuration problem. I would try giving it 2048MB.
    If you are playing single-player, you may also want to try starting a new universe with default settings.

Reaction score
    As I said, it is normal, and expected behavior that a Java application uses more memory than what is specified by the Max memory setting.
    While your computer has the minimum required 4GB of RAM, another listed requirement (at least on the Steam store page) is that 2GB be allocated for StarMade. So I would say that this is a configuration problem. I would try giving it 2048MB.
    If you are playing single-player, you may also want to try starting a new universe with default settings.
    Thanks for your reply,I just lowered the graphics to bottom,disabled all extra graphical stuff,lowered down fps limit to 30 and everything is fine,for now.