Master1398

Keep calm and quit raging
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3

Hello StarMade Community! Let me show you my project:
    SMSG - StarMade Skin Generator

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To everyone who makes skins: Do you have any parts like haircuts, faces, suits, helmets, etc. that could be added to the generator? Leave a reply! in this thread!

If you can't or don't want to watch the video but you'd like to know how to get your skin working
    When you changed everything to your likings click on the "Generate" button. A message should show up saying that your skin was successfully exported. Click on this message to open the prepared .smskin file. And there is also a folder called "Textures" . In it you'll find all texture files but all you need to use your skin is the .smskin file.

To get your skin ingame:

More parts (and colors) will be added in the future (applies to all layers)!

To Do:

Add Genders(at least suit and faces)
    Additional export as .smskin
    Working "add/remove layer" buttons
    Add "Import Part" button
    Change the order of layers through dragging
    Add more parts
    Add more parts
    Add more parts

Rework the programs layout.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Done
    Easy to implement
    Being Worked on
    Low priority
    Likely requires other things to be done first

To everyone who makes skins: Do you have any textures like haircuts, faces, suits, helmets, etc. that could be added to the generator? Leave a reply in this thread!

Latest Update: Update 1.3
    This Update includes!
    • Working "add/remove layer" buttons
      • You can't remove one of the default layers but you can add up to six additional layers!
      • These layers share the same pile of textures.
      • The first load of additional textures includes:
        • Three different beards (in four colors)
        • left and right cyborg eye in different colors(original made by kupu a while back)
    • New Helmet:
      • Glass helmet!
    • New Suit/Joints/Boots:
      • I heard someone dismantled the Trading Guild Trader skin... Who could have done that? ;)
    • New Haircut:
      • Mohawk - currently only gray, black, blond and brown
    • Added working import button!
      • Thanks to the implementation of additional layers and a huge internal rework i was able to get file import work! *YAY*
    • Probably fixed a crash that occured when SMSG tried to export a skin as .smskin.
    • Tweaked layout
    • Huge internal rework (nearly halved the amount of code)
    • Reduced file size: If you compare this version to the previous one you'll definitely spot the difference

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Great! Now I, and I'm not very creative, can customise my skin!
    Now where was the cake...

Reaction score
    I'd love to add more stuff to this! Just gotta freshen up mah skinning skills. :D

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Nice. I hope i can import my minecraft skin in next time to use it in starmade

Reaction score
    Originally a 404 cake.
    I saw what you did there.

By the way, OP, those add/remove buttons should probably go onto the area with the white background. Currently they are visually separated from the thing they are modifying, which is bad. Also, I personally have a huge distaste for applications that don't look native (meaning: use native buttons, not images).

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    Amazing tool! Lots of fun to play around with.

I'd love to see a way to export / import individual layers into the generator. That way players could add their own "parts" to the mix.

Reactions: Captain Roscal
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Nice but a .exe does not help a lot of users, will you make a web application out of it as well?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Nice but a .exe does not help a lot of users, will you make a web application out of it as well?
    how does a .exe not help? its the most common application format for the most common OS. if you have a mac, you have proper editing software and probably the skills to use it.

Reaction score
    How about releasing the source code instead? Or creating a github repository.
    how does a .exe not help? its the most common application format for the most common OS. if you have a mac, you have proper editing software and probably the skills to use it.
    What about Linux or FreeBsd users? We might be using a unix-like OS, but the dumbed down version of unix that apple sells usually doesn't work with ours.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I specifically tend to post such questions without giving my system specs just because i want to prevent OS discussions in threads where they don't belong. It does not matter what i use, it also does not matter that windows (seems) to be most used OS as long as something is not open in an open format for everyone to use "fair use" is not possible and that was what my question was aimed for will it be available online openly ...

Reactions: Valck
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Fantastic, it's good to see the process to make skins get a bit easier :)

Master1398

Keep calm and quit raging
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Update 1.2: Gender selection, .smskin export!
    • A new "Change Gender" button!
      • Clicking on this button will change the gender of your skin. After you've clicked on this button the suit changes a bit and when you select a face it also fits the gender!
    • SMSG now also saves your skin as .smskin which you just have to select when you load a custom skin!
    • New Haircut:
      • Ponytail* - comes in the same colors as the regular Dave** haircut!
    • New color for normal haircuts: Dark Red
    • Added disabled import button - i just can't get it work right now :(
    • Fixed not being able to select yellow boots
    • */**: currently labled as "Normal Haircut - Male/Female"

Last edited:

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    I get an Unhandled Exception when I try to generate any skin with any combination of colours...

--Details start here--
    See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.IO.Compression.FileSystem, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    File name: 'System.IO.Compression.FileSystem, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'
    at SM_SkinGenerator.Main.btn_gen_click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
    To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
    Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
    To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    SMSG
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///D:/SMSG.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

--Details end here--​

Damn, I really want to generate some skins though... Any idea what the problem is? I have no clue whatsoever...

Last edited: