SMEdit2

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I am making this thread as a place holder to what I have on the drawing board as far as plans for this project. I have put out a hot fix for the application to insure that is runs on the new game source,

located here http://starmadedock.net/threads/smedit-hot-fix.832/

and have posted on there my intentions to continue the development into a new version of the application so let me start by linking people to a few things and start the ball rolling in the right direction on this.

I have created a "temp" svn at google to get the code cleaned up and to implement all the new directions I have planned for this project. (I will be posting to this topic project outlines very shortly.) From the google svn we can both allow for interested people to follow along, and offer their in site to the project as it grows.

here is the link to the google svn
    http://code.google.com/p/smedit2/

You can check out the svn now all the source and hot fix is there for the original code.

Now keep in mind that this is a temp location as we prep the application for real time player use. If anyone is interested in joining in on this project at this state you can email me @ [email protected] or contact me on my community boards @ http://www.lazygamerz.org (from lazygamerz.org I will be adding a sub domain to set up the new home for the SMEdit2 application)

Once the application is in a usable real time player state we will be moving the svn source code to github at
    https://github.com/bobbybighoof/SMEdit2

From here everyone can offer branches and the main project can be more directly helped by its supporters.

BUT first let me say that I have huge plans for the version 2 after the classic patches. These plans include added 2D editors for those who prefer a flat over view look of what they are doing with multi layer support. XML editors for plugin xml changes on the fly and added file extension format for SMEdit's own file format so that users can share their work. A complete re layout of the gui to more suit SMEdit's need to be more of an image and art editing application. Log window with dumping system to not overclock the memory useage so that the user sees all the actions that the application is doing or attempting to do to help with bugs and reasons why the application didn't do what you wanted it to do.

And many many more features. So stick around and check us out or jump in and help out what ever fits your needs at this point.

I will update this main post with more information as it comes available.

STAND ALONE COMPUTER APPS

SMEdit2_BlockLookup

SMEdit2_BlockLookup Download link

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Perhaps working with the other person attempting to remake SMedit would speed the process up and makes things a little smoother?

http://starmadedock.net/threads/smedit-revival.846/#post-10455
    I have already addressed this in the hot fix topic I made. after I made that thread and indicated that I had father intentions to continue the project in a new direction. Magically the "other person" then decided to post their thread saying they were going to be looking into taking over the project. They didn't post back to the thread I made on the hot fix and indicate they were willing to work with me so I have just let it stand.

If it is a question of who said what and when, in the end I did do and post the quick hot fix, and no one helped me with that.

If it is a question of project management ability, my credentials for past projects can be found from my profile on google code to where I have managed and ran past projects for game communities for over a year and a half. (and no we are not talking simple minecraft plugins lol so put that out of your head.) The projects I management and worked with were full support stand alone applications, and I plan to bring that same long term and active support to this project. If "Other" people are willing to provide a profile or project management that can be easily tracked and identified as to their right to take over and manage this project then I will simply step aside and let them take it all to them selves.

I don't plan to build a application for someone else to take the code for and claim they did anything, and I intend to do all the first round leg and layout work to insure that others know that it was done and done well.

That is all why I didn't simply jump on their band wagon to join them.

Reaction score
    I have already addressed this in the hot fix topic I made. after I made that thread and indicated that I had father intentions to continue the project in a new direction. Magically the "other person" then decided to post their thread saying they were going to be looking into taking over the project. They didn't post back to the thread I made on the hot fix and indicate they were willing to work with me so I have just let it stand.

If it is a question of who said what and when, in the end I did do and post the quick hot fix, and no one helped me with that.

If it is a question of project management ability, my credentials for past projects can be found from my profile on google code to where I have managed and ran past projects for game communities for over a year and a half. (and no we are not talking simple minecraft plugins lol so put that out of your head.) The projects I management and worked with were full support stand alone applications, and I plan to bring that same long term and active support to this project. If "Other" people are willing to provide a profile or project management that can be easily tracked and identified as to their right to take over and manage this project then I will simply step aside and let them take it all to them selves.

I don't plan to build a application for someone else to take the code for and claim they did anything, and I intend to do all the first round leg and layout work to insure that others know that it was done and done well.

That is all why I didn't simply jump on their band wagon to join them.
    Ah, my apologies. I didn't quite realize you had already looked into them.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Good luck and when all is said and done ask Cru if he wants to take a crack at a GUI as his HUD Style seems to be the next thing around here.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    is there an ETA for when we will be able to edit current BP's?

Reaction score
    Great to see people bringing SMEdit back to life. :)

Sounds like you have big plans, and some pretty awesome ones. :) But remember that keeping the core of the program functional and efficient is always top priority!

Reactions: Bobby Bighoof
    Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    looking forward to smedit2 :)
    is there an ETA for when we will be able to edit current BP's?
    Great to see people bringing SMEdit back to life. :)

Sounds like you have big plans, and some pretty awesome ones. :) But remember that keeping the core of the program functional and efficient is always top priority!
    New updates to the SMEdit_Classic hot fix post.
    Thank you all for your support. I am fixing a few things in the classic code as later we will set that as the "lite" version of the client. So my focus is to make sure the existing client is well defined and generated on load. This will put the SMEdit2 setup on a good path for many more features to come.

I have been holding off (looked at and worked on some but not put in any changes for) on the loading of up to date entity and blueprint codes only because of the seemly competitive branches in development. We will release as more secure backbone is established maybe in the next few days.

Reaction score
    New updates to the SMEdit_Classic hot fix post.
    Thank you all for your support. I am fixing a few things in the classic code as later we will set that as the "lite" version of the client. So my focus is to make sure the existing client is well defined and generated on load. This will put the SMEdit2 setup on a good path for many more features to come.

I have been holding off (looked at and worked on some but not put in any changes for) on the loading of up to date entity and blueprint codes only because of the seemly competitive branches in development. We will release as more secure backbone is established maybe in the next few days.
    Eh, I wouldn't worry TOO much about competition. If you do things well, it won't matter. Though it sounds like you've actually already got that concept in mind, and are delaying release to make sure you do things well. If so, good move. ;)

Nothing personal, but it doesn't really matter to me which revival project succeeds. As long as one does, it will be to the benefit of the community. In this way, I'm highly supporting both/all projects trying to revive it. A little healthy competition can go a long way. :) And even if there end up being two different, valuable programs derived from the original concept, that's even BETTER. Then people can use whichever program suits them best. Either way, keep up the great work! :)

Reactions: therimmer96
    Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Now adding stand alone computer app support to what SMEdit2 will be offering.
    The first app is a bit of code that will be in the new development of the SMEdit2 application itself

It is called "SMEdit2_BlockLookup"
    This app is a small search window that updates as you type showing you the block ids for what ever you might be looking for.

SMEdit2_BlockLookup

SMEdit2_BlockLookup Download link

Reactions: JimmyJamba
    Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    more eye candy this time the standard text / xml editor with id look up that will be on the up coming smedit2.

This built in sub app has cut, copy, and paste. As well as open and save ability for any text based file. As we will soon also be focusing on plugin support and development the editor comes pre built with java method highlighting. As shown on the screen shot to the left of the text editor is our block id lookup for easy id reference while editing the xml files for SMEdit2 used for the plugins.

Reactions: MrFURB

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Something that would be nice is a way to turn ships into MCedit schematics files :)

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Something that would be nice is a way to turn ships into MCedit schematics files :)
    So that I understand the request; you are asking for an improvement on the "schematic" plug in to allow for saving as schematics to be used on the minecraft game? If this is the case I do not see a problem with putting that in there. Will add the request to the to do list.

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Today I wanted to put out a bit of information about the theme or skins used on SMEdit2 and what we have and plan for them. Let me start by saying that what I will be doing I have done of other projects I have worked on with great successes. I wanted to put that out there because of what I must say next and that is that java does not like for the user to change the "look and feel" and some times it may seem a bit odd how it does it, but we are going to have it in the main application menu choices for the user to have what look and feel they want from choices we have pre defined in the application.

just to keep you interested here's the eye candy for the first 5 we have planned to choice from.

The light grey with blue tabs at the bottom will be the default look and feel with the other 4 as choices in the menu.

Reactions: JimmyJamba
    Reaction score
    Dude. I can't begin to tell you how impressed I am with the work you're doing. Thanks so much, you're awesome.

I know next to nothing about Java but if you ever need help with anything let me know. Even if it's just to tell you how awesome you are... wait... I just did that. Maybe you could just reread this post when you're having a bad day and wondering why the hell you're making Smedit2 instead of playing Starmade

Reaction score
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Dude. I can't begin to tell you how impressed I am with the work you're doing. Thanks so much, you're awesome.

I know next to nothing about Java but if you ever need help with anything let me know. Even if it's just to tell you how awesome you are... wait... I just did that. Maybe you could just reread this post when you're having a bad day and wondering why the hell you're making Smedit2 instead of playing Starmade
    lol I am playing StarMade and even hand crafted all of the pirates / npc on our server that our org runs lol. :) thank you so much for your comments it is exactly why I am working on this application because people wand and need me to. :) more to come in the next few days.