Small server adjustments

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hi,

I'm going to release a new build with small adjustments and optimizations I wanted to push out before bigger changes raise the risk of bugs.

This update does not require a client update, as it's changes only affect servers (but it's recommended for clients)

There is a new server cfg option for bigger servers, which allows to adjust the size on which the SQL system may use NIO (Native Input/Output which is a lot faster than non-nio access methods).

There was also a small bug in the file management which caused filed to be thrown out of the cache even if they werent the oldest one. This should speed up server loading by a lot.

Also, some more (now) unnecessary debug lines were removed from the log.

As always, please keep your backup from your update until you confirm it's running fine.

Thank you for playing StarMade,

- schema

Reaction score
    I\'m starting to wonder if you ever even sleep, what is the local time for you at the time of posting this?

Reaction score
    Hi.

What is the best Option for bigger Servers? \"SQL_NIO_FILE_SIZE = 256\"

512?

Cheers

Reaction score
    Hi schema.

You changed the the String for Server Messages. We make automatic messages for our players.

Now after die Update is in Line: [message] [SERVER]: [SERVER] Shutdown in 5 Minutes

There ist one more [SERVER] after the colon. Can you change this please.

Thx.

Cheers

Reaction score
    Hi schema.

Sorry i read it http://hsqldb.org/doc/guide/deployment-chapt.html#dec_nio_access

256 MB is the maximum size. 512 is not possible

Cheers

Reaction score
    Since hes German ... He posted it in Midnight :(. Poor Schema Working his as Off for the Community . I Hope all those haters in the Community Would finaly recognise Ur Hard work.

Reaction score
    If you would\'ve only read 1 line further, you would\'ve seen that the maximum can be raised beyond 256 with \" You can increase the limit with the SET FILES NIO SIZE <value> statement.\".

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Adding the ability to up the file size of hSQL will not improve performance for most people. In most cases this will make reading and writing slower. In addition sql was never intended for use in games: http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/40215/use-a-sql-database-for-a-desktop-game . you need to create format that fits the needs for your game.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I think you misunderstood what the game is using SQL for. It\'s not used for realtime data at all. It\'s used to manage the entity system (because most data only exists on disk) on a server.

I\'m using SQL only as an index above the file database. Only small info like name, position and sector are saved in the entries, and are only updated when the the sector gets unloaded. However I can query for data like \"is there a pirate station in this range\", without having to load masses of data into the memory.

This means the database grows far less then the file database. One of the biggest servers only has an sql db size of 300mb, and in this case an increase of the NIO file size will help, because the SQL system reverts to non-nio in this case.

Reaction score
    i have backups going afr back from befor i made the towerbilder username on this sight i have been paying long enuf to have alot of the game backed up so if you ever want to compare a new bild to a old one feel free to ask i might have it

ps please do 2 things soon 1 that dumb bug with very small ships spassing is gona make me rage qwit soon 2 please make it so i can make mor spm saves i only have a hip yard now with a temuary bilding set up i relly relly want one whare i can save ships another for making them that has stuff made to help the bilding prosses that will mess with the ship yard i alrady have making it so i dont wan to make it now ad i wat a world to actuly play on so

Reaction score
    dev of the year pfff for what he duse for this comunity he shuld have that title befor the votes are cast he shuld be god we need to make a religon just to pray to him and his angles the chat admins

-bows befor the all mighty schema, bringing gifts for gold and soon $6.00 and when i get it i may start donating evry month it fi can he is god-

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    is the spassing of the small ships still happening for you on the new version?

For the second I don\'t fully understand, I\'m sorry. If you mean saves for ships, that depends on the setting on the server. Some servers allow only few, some allow infinite slots for players.