Small changes

Reaction score
    Yo
    Here are a bunch of small changes I've been slowly building up that I'd like to suggest. I'm sure more will come as I keep playing. But I thought it was time I posted it thus far

Starmade suggestions
    • -Being able to drag blocks on a ship (while keeping logic connections)
    • Logic modules (groups of logic blocks, where the connections can be setup on mass)
      • When editing one module, all the other modules get effected
      • The idea is that there are logic groups which are repeatedly used, but could get upgraded. Doing one small upgrade to many groups is tedious
    • mirror logic connections (option) Symmetry plane mirrors logic connections as well as block placement.
    • When a rail block is connected to an activation block: currently if a ship passes over the rail, it activates the activation block. But doesn't disable it when the ship moves onto a different rail block

• templates include docked entities (or at least the option to include)
    • Templates (and blueprints I think?) display modules hold text when copying (they don't atm I find)
    • rotating templates would also rotate rail pieces

• proper joystick+throttle control.
      • Throttle will try and get the ship up to the speed inputted, rather than how fast to increase the speed of the ship.

• Docked ships use up to half(for example) their shields before passing damage onto what it's docked on to.
      • If two ships are docked via USDs, currently if they come both under attack, one of the ships is unfavorably going to cop it all. Combine shields? (but that makes it harder still to kill the ships) if one ship has more than double the shields of the other, it takes damage until shields are equal, then the weaker ship uses it's shields? Something along these veins
    • Create docking based straight off blueprint. Ie. When making a blueprint, it includes docked entities
      • mirror (option)
    • Blueprints version control
      • when a blueprint changes, ships (through the core?) can be updated in design without losing whatever is connected to it. So as I continue to build my giant ship, I can periodically save it, and go back to previous versions if I make a mistake.
      • Turrets automatically can be updated+in creative mode editing one ship of a blue print, updates ALL the entities of that blueprint automatically (on the same ship?). At least have some way that if my giant ship with many many many turrets gets one turret changed, they all change their design. Requires the ship to reboot?
      • like the isanths at the moment, there can be sub blue prints. e.g. generic computer ports, with generic modules, and each sub-blueprint automatically fills out that computer with e.g. cannon, and cannon barrels OR power drain computer and power drain modules OR overdrive computer with etc etc etc.
    • Ships coming into the same docking point can "line" up. And a direction in which to form the line can be created. That way if multiple ships are all going to the same docking point, they aren't continuously crashing into each other.
      • I acknowledge this may be an error, not a feature

• Doors+lifts (made of ship cores, and moved with rails) become invisible on radar. (New type of rail(?) in which a ship cannot be removed from it, and the docked entity becomes part of the ship)
      • All of the door's power, shields, weapons, etc. become disabled and none existent

• Generally, a system allowing easy naming/player setups up convention. So whenever a ship/turret is added, it automatically is named (instead of the player having to remember "Turret_01" "Turret_02" "Turret_03" etc

• Wedges with two blocks next to it fill in the other half with those two blocks. e.g. an orange wedge has two black hull next to it where the orange wedge has empty faces. So the empty space where the orange wedge is gets filled with black hull. Make sense?

• Power Management. Being able to actively "cap" and control how much power different systems can draw. e.g. My capital ship has a huge number of turrets, but they draw more power than it can produce. I want to cap it so my ship can still operate, and the turrets just overall fire less evenly/Group turrets. (per second). And also perhaps favor certain groups of turrets. e.g. On starboard is a large enemy ship. But a number of smaller ships all surround the capital ship, therefore all my turrets are firing. So the starboard turret group gets priority to power, while the other groups occasionally get to fire.

• Easier way to purchase stuff at the shops. it's really clunky atm
    • Same with the options menu. Finding anything is not simple atm

• Can you change this in world generation settings?
      • Bigger planets?
      • Bigger sectors?

I read through it, but apologies if somethings don't make sense. It's late, and so I can't be bother rereading it all yet again. So just comment what doesn't make sense, and I shall amend/clarify as appropriate.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    There's a sub-forum for suggestions.

Being able to drag blocks on a ship (while keeping logic connections)
    Advanced build mode is still pretty provisory and needs a general overhaul, including the possibilities to move and mirror blocks within a selection frame.

• When a rail block is connected to an activation block: currently if a ship passes over the rail, it activates the activation block. But doesn't disable it when the ship moves onto a different rail block
    • rotating templates would also rotate rail pieces
    Known bugs.
    Templates (and blueprints I think?) display modules hold text when copying (they don't atm I find)
    A quick test showed that templates do hold texts.

Docked ships use up to half(for example) their shields before passing damage onto what it's docked on to.
    Docked ships do already use all their shields before passing on damage.

Create docking based straight off blueprint. Ie. When making a blueprint, it includes docked entities
    • mirror (option)
    Planned (without mirror option).

Blueprints version control
    • when a blueprint changes, ships (through the core?) can be updated in design without losing whatever is connected to it. So as I continue to build my giant ship, I can periodically save it, and go back to previous versions if I make a mistake.
    • like the isanths at the moment, there can be sub blue prints. e.g. generic computer ports, with generic modules, and each sub-blueprint automatically fills out that computer with e.g. cannon, and cannon barrels OR power drain computer and power drain modules OR overdrive computer with etc etc etc.
    1. Just save it as a new blueprint each time. 2. Use the replace function and save as new blueprint.

Ships coming into the same docking point can "line" up. And a direction in which to form the line can be created. That way if multiple ships are all going to the same docking point, they aren't continuously crashing into each other.
    • I acknowledge this may be an error, not a feature
    Docking points were introduced because AI is stupid. You can create such a line yourself by clever use of pickup points and rails.

Doors+lifts (made of ship cores, and moved with rails) become invisible on radar. (New type of rail(?) in which a ship cannot be removed from it, and the docked entity becomes part of the ship)
    Planned.

Generally, a system allowing easy naming/player setups up convention. So whenever a ship/turret is added, it automatically is named (instead of the player having to remember "Turret_01" "Turret_02" "Turret_03" etc
    We generally need a better overview of docked entities, which would also make naming easier.

Wedges with two blocks next to it fill in the other half with those two blocks. e.g. an orange wedge has two black hull next to it where the orange wedge has empty faces. So the empty space where the orange wedge is gets filled with black hull. Make sense?
    This might lead to unwanted results and would probably require the same effort as adding tons of new bicolored blocks.

Power Management. Being able to actively "cap" and control how much power different systems can draw. e.g. My capital ship has a huge number of turrets, but they draw more power than it can produce. I want to cap it so my ship can still operate, and the turrets just overall fire less evenly/Group turrets. (per second). And also perhaps favor certain groups of turrets. e.g. On starboard is a large enemy ship. But a number of smaller ships all surround the capital ship, therefore all my turrets are firing. So the starboard turret group gets priority to power, while the other groups occasionally get to fire.
    Power management in general is an often requested feature. However, I think your suggestion is a bit too complex, being able to shut off certain turrets should suffice. Also, think about giving bigger turrets built in power supply.

• Easier way to purchase stuff at the shops. it's really clunky atm
    • Same with the options menu. Finding anything is not simple atm
    Interface improvements are planned, I don't know details, though.

Can you change this in world generation settings?
    • Bigger planets?
    • Bigger sectors?
    These can be changed in the server.cfg.

Last edited:

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Wedges with two blocks next to it fill in the other half with those two blocks. e.g. an orange wedge has two black hull next to it where the orange wedge has empty faces. So the empty space where the orange wedge is gets filled with black hull. Make sense?
    This might lead to unwanted results and would probably require the same effort as adding tons of new bicolored blocks.
    Yeah they've rejected this idea many many times. If you truely want this use a docked entity to shim in your wedges together. You'll be a lag monster when it breaks off though.

Reaction score
    A quick test showed that templates do hold texts.
    My current (as of 0.199.253) experience shows otherwise. There appear to be issues with templates and display modules, sometimes they keep their text, sometimes they don't, even on the same template.