Recognized Simple solution for a horrible problem

Reaction score
    So we all know how much lag is created when reactors undock during a fight via destruction. This is currently a massive issue for servers, clients, and pvp itself. However hardly anyone has addressed the problem other than "make reactors go away! >:eek:".

The solution is simply to leave the docked reactors DOCKED, even after the rail docker is destroyed. These entities will still overheat while docked and will lose all shield value. Only rails will be included, not the turret axis or rotator. Reasoning behind this is that small ships can shoot off turrets giving an advantage. This tactic should still viable when this fix hits.

I think this is a very simple and realistic option to solve this problem that plagues PvP. Please tell me what you think.

Last edited:
    Reactions: HolyCookie
    Reaction score
    That sounds like a really good idea actually. And for people who intentionally want to undock stuff, they just send a logic signal to the rail docker like it currently is. I like :)

Reactions: Oronoscus
    Reaction score
    So we all know how much lag is created when reactors or turrets undock during a fight via destruction. This is currently a massive issue for servers, clients, and pvp itself. However hardly anyone has addressed the problem other than "make reactors go away! >:eek:".

The solution is simply to leave the docked turrets or reactors DOCKED, even after the rail docker is destroyed. These entities will still overheat while docked and will lose all shield value.

I think this is a very simple and realistic option to solve this problem that plagues PvP. Please tell me what you think.
    OHMYGOD PLEASE!
    Whenever I fight pirates a bunch of shit undocks constantly, e.g. rail doors, turrets and other docked bullshit. This causes SO much lag and if I'm using lock on missiles, is an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE.

Bench what do you think?

Reaction score
    Yea this is such an easy solution, we really need to push for this in the next build.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I agree somewhat as long as it's limited to just rails

Still need to be able to destroy stuff like turrets off rotators

Also with your suggestion it would be kind of a bummer that you couldn't destroy ships off carrier docks and whatnot, they would still just magically float aligned to the ship

Might be better to make it so magnetic docking always worked on all connected points, so that it doesn't just choose one out of multiple possible connections

Reactions: Kilim

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    The only thing I would want to add to this would be to make them essentially non-physical. It would be pretty cheesy to be able to make docked armor that will always stay docked.

Reaction score
    Also with your suggestion it would be kind of a bummer that you couldn't destroy ships off carrier docks and whatnot, they would still just magically float aligned to the ship
    I mean if you shoot the ships on the carrier, the ships will still get destroyed. They just wont undock and clip through everything and cause lag. I don't really see the issue, it would perhaps be less epic to see ships fling off. Personally I'd prefer they stay on than to experience the lag it causes from ships clipping into the mother ships.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1456162561,1456162438][/DOUBLEPOST]
    The only thing I would want to add to this would be to make them essentially non-physical. It would be pretty cheesy to be able to make docked armor that will always stay docked.
    That's true it would be a bit cheesy. But I feel like its also very cheesy to undock an exoskeleton of a ship causing an extreme amount of clipping. Just what I think.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Seconded ^

It might be slightly immersion breaking for stuff to keep floating along with the mothership, which already happens if the dock doesn't get hit, it's INFINITELY more immersion breaking to sudenly find yourself at 1fps with 9999 ping and a burning server. Besides, I personally never really had a problem with floating dead turrets back with the old docking systems, where turrets would only undock if the docker on the ship got shot (so you'd have overheating turrets still on the ship most of the time).

I aprove the F*** out of this.

Reaction score
    It's still destroyed so I don't see the issue here

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    woa woa woa hold on hold on! let's not call this a day just yet. We found a different solution to a problem and I found a disadvantage to this solution. Me and probably quite a few other people like the weak point aspect of having only 1 hardpoint.
    as suggested here:
    Might be better to make it so magnetic docking always worked on all connected points, so that it doesn't just choose one out of multiple possible connections
    It would take this aspect away. Making fights based even more on numbers than on skills, biggest ship biggest dps wins.
    but with a bit of luck/intel and aiming, it would be possible to win even when the odds aren't in your favour.

Leaving a reactor floating sounds to me like it is still working.... making it overheat would mean a mechanic change (guessing tho) because a docked entity undocks when it overheats (then again.... i am guessing this part)

Now I don't want to get in the way of this suggestion, I am just hoping someone creative can come up with a suggestion that fixes these problems too.

OHMYGOD PLEASE!
    Whenever I fight pirates a bunch of shit undocks constantly, e.g. rail doors, turrets and other docked bullshit. This causes SO much lag and if I'm using lock on missiles, is an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE.

ps:
    Bench what do you think?
    Next time quote me or someone else from the council, you are more likely to get a fast response and then bench can concentrate on his part of the next update (or something else important)

Reaction score
    woa woa woa hold on hold on! let's not call this a day just yet. We found a different solution to a problem and I found a disadvantage to this solution. Me and probably quite a few other people like the weak point aspect of having only 1 hardpoint.
    as suggested here:

It would take this aspect away. Making fights based even more on numbers than on skills, biggest ship biggest dps wins.
    but with a bit of luck/intel and aiming, it would be possible to win even when the odds aren't in your favour.

Leaving a reactor floating sounds to me like it is still working.... making it overheat would mean a mechanic change (guessing tho) because a docked entity undocks when it overheats (then again.... i am guessing this part)

Now I don't want to get in the way of this suggestion, I am just hoping someone creative can come up with a suggestion that fixes these problems too.

Next time quote me or someone else from the council, you are more likely to get a fast response and then bench can concentrate on his part of the next update (or something else important)
    Why not make it so that an entity that has its rail connection disconnected from main ship becomes non functional (similar to overheating ship) that weapons don't work, no power generates or shields generates etc. However if manually removed from the ship they work normally (by undocking from core).

Reaction score
    as suggested here:

Ok I can see your reasoning behind leaving the turret axis vulnerable to undocking. I think this a good idea.

However rails that hold generators are almost never exposed so having good aim won't really matter.

I will edit my initial post and exclude the turret axis and rotators from the no undocking fix.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Ok I can see your reasoning behind leaving the turret axis vulnerable to undocking. I think this a good idea.

However rails that hold generators are almost never exposed so having good aim won't really matter.

I will edit my initial post and exclude the turret axis and rotators from the no undocking fix.
    The best of both worlds would be to only have the base of the turret undock, the barrels/gun section could stay "docked" to the base even when destroyed. Reason being that 99% of the time lag is cause by embedded barrels colliding with the turret base after being shot. If it's just the base that undocks the whole turret generally just floats away without colliding with the ship (unless the turrets are embedded in the ship ofc).

Reactions: Valiant70
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    OP idea is really good, but it's nice to think of other possibilities. Just not a huge fan of things staying attached if you make a lucky or skillful shot on a poorly engineered attachment, and share the same concerns with jasskinal for things like docked armor.

What about like, a push effect in the opposite direction of the ship's momentum, while making the undocked portion have no collision detection for a second or two? I suppose that might look wonky too.

MUH IMMERSION

Reaction score
    OP idea is really good, but it's nice to think of other possibilities. Just not a huge fan of things staying attached if you make a lucky or skillful shot on a poorly engineered attachment, and share the same concerns with jasskinal for things like docked armor.

What about like, a push effect in the opposite direction of the ship's momentum, while making the undocked portion have no collision detection for a second or two? I suppose that might look wonky too.

MUH IMMERSION
    They tried that already....
    [DOUBLEPOST=1456195282,1456195247][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Seriously why isnt this planned yet? XD