Simple logic counter no longer works?

Reaction score
    I usually use a simple FLIP/NOT/AND setup to build counters. This no longer seems to work as it always has, leading me to believe there's either a bug or something has changed in the way logic is implemented.

An example: This simple setup always produced three hot FLIPs: Put down a BUTTON and three FLIPs. Connect the BUTTON t0 the first FLIP. Connect the first FLIP to the 2nd and 3rd FLIPs. Connect the 2nd FLIP to the 3rd FLIP. Push the BUTTON. We should have three hot FLIPs.

This no longer works, as the new result is always the first two FLIPs being hot and the third being off. What has changed?

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    O____o

Not sure what you flippin mean?
    Can you rephrase your OP a little please?

Reaction score
    O____o

Not sure what you flippin mean?
    Can you rephrase your OP a little please?
    Try this:

(c) on a button and (v) on your 1st flipflop
    (c) on your first flipflop and (v) on your 2nd and 3rd flipflops
    (c) on your 2nd flipflop and (v) on your 3rd flipflop
    hit the button.

what you should get: three activated flipflops
    what you get instead: only the first two flipflops are activated

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    Try this:

hit the button.

Okay, the reason I'm confused is you starting out with a flip/not/and and then repeatedly mentioning flips. makes more sense now.
    havent used that block in time myself, but ive had some weird with trying to use it recently - as with many things since the last update.

Edit: no doubt someone more inclined for logic fiddling than I will have a better answer / insight.

Reaction score
    Okay, the reason I'm confused is you starting out with a flip/not/and and then repeatedly mentioning flips. makes more sense now.
    Yes, that button/flip circuit is usually a part of a counter that I commonly use (if you were to connect each flip to it's own not, and repeatedly hit the button, you would see that there are 8 individual patterns of flips and nots that can be used in conjunction with ands to produce a counter). I should have left that first part out, as if you don't use counters often, it just confuses things, lol.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    if you don't use counters often, it just confuses things, lol.
    Oh i use them often enough - just not with flips, and usually when talking about them i'd number or list each. :)

Reaction score
    Oh i use them often enough - just not with flips, and usually when talking about them i'd number or list each. :)
    Ya, I'm not all that great at explaining myself sometimes, lol....on another notes, seeing as my counters no longer seem to work after years of them working perfectly (sigh), which type do you use? I may be forced to switch if this is not a bug =/

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    Hi mate, I already reported this bug a few days ago to a developer, we should only wait until they can solve it.

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    Hi mate, I already reported this bug a few days ago to a developer, we should only wait until they can solve it.
    Excellent, for a moment I thought perhaps I was the only one, lol....did you issue a bug report through the Phabricator?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Looking at those gifs it seems that the counter still works but the block graphics don't update the same way. The circuit still gives out eight pulses in both cases.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    I personally test that alot... and yess, the counter seems still give out eight pulses... but for the second case, it dont count/work as intend.
    So for me, that is a logic issue/bug of logic.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    The only *posible* solution I found, for do a binary UP counter now.. is this:
    Binary UP counter dont work... but binary DOWN counter work ... i dont even try to understand why this happen o_O

Reaction score
    The only *posible* solution I found, for do a binary UP counter now.. is this:
    Binary UP counter dont work... but binary DOWN counter work ... i dont even try to understand why this happen o_O
    That actually the exact design I use, and sadly, it too does not work =(

EDIT: This design actually DOES still work, but only when connected differently that I had previously done. Working from left to right, I had formerly slaved flips 2 and 3 to 1 and 3 to 2 and all flips to the nots above. It now works by simply slaving any flip to the flip immediately to its left and only that flip (the nots do not change obviously)

Last edited:

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Try this:

hit the button.

+1 to 1st(from button)
    +1 to 2nd, +1 to 3rd(from 1st)
    +1 to 3rd(from 2nd)

Results in 3rd flop receiving +2 'blue' pulses instantly, it turned on with one and back off with the other. if you connect the third(c) to a fourth, the fourth will toggle on from that double.
    you want a counter, change yellow to only connect to 2nd.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    what are you guys using cconters for and often ?
    A lot of logic works well with counters. Logic fired weapons, counting drones that return, distributing a series of events evenly, a lot of things, really. That being said though, I really don't see the issue in using the counter Galactus posted, with the flipflops and nots. It's slightly larger, but it shouldn't be as messy with instant pulses.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    what are you guys using cconters for and often ?
    Using counters, you can reduce the number of "Delay blocks", for example to use them as well said our mate Jaaskinal; For example using a 3-digit binary counter ( 000,001... ), you can replace 6 delays blocks, because a delay block is 0.5 seconds and a flip-flop is 1 full second.

As I always say, as far as logic is concerned, using the least number of blocks is the only option to make an efficient system.

Reaction score
    interesting, why have weapons on a counter and not just a delayed sequential fire ? and would a flipflop counter not also need a clock to work ?

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    interesting, why have weapons on a counter and not just a delayed sequential fire ? and would a flipflop counter not also need a clock to work ?
    If you're firing faster than 1 per half second, you need to distribute it somehow.