Read by Council Simple Gravity Control

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I would like a lot more control over gravity such as being able to control it for logic but I would settle for one simple addition (at least for now), the ability to tell gravity to be on, or off instead of toggle.

This could easily be accomplished through existing logic, place a gravity module, select it and if you connect it to an activate activator(blue) it will only set gravity in that direction and if the activator is off it will remove you from gravity (direction doesn't mater)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I tend to find gravity a little broken on ships and stations, it's pretty much optional on a player by player basis. I could be in gravity, but my buddy is still floating through the plaza.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Gravity really should either be on or off, with everything entering the gravity field being affected. If you want to be unaffected you turn on your suit's anti-gravity module.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I tend to find gravity a little broken on ships and stations, it's pretty much optional on a player by player basis. I could be in gravity, but my buddy is still floating through the plaza.
    Yeah gravity is quite broken in the current version it seems. You'll get put out of it for no reason.

Gravity really should either be on or off, with everything entering the gravity field being affected. If you want to be unaffected you turn on your suit's anti-gravity module.
    There is still need for gravity tubes so being able to control gravity is still quite useful.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It would also be interesting if the current gravity direction/block could directly influence logic. Think: Two way gravity travel pipes.

Reaction score
    It would be nice to be in a small ship, hit(docking or core beam) the gravity block, and then have gravity while in the ship. Basically making skid racing possible on something other than a planet. Like a station, a huge ship, etc.

Also, having this functionality would make creating a planet (vintage StarMade disk planet ;) more useable...being able to give it gravity for everything like a real planet.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    It would also be interesting if the current gravity direction/block could directly influence logic. Think: Two way gravity travel pipes.
    Think: gory collisions at 2x terminal velocity :p
    I am in favor of better gravity controls indeed

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I had come to the forms to post exactly this, with the one addition that un-linked gravity modules would keep the current, toggle function.

Short of adding sensor abilities or other methods for detecting and reacting to player gravity, this seems the cleanest solution by far.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    That would be the ultimate goal, yes.
    I actually wrote a somewhat elaborate suggestion with this specifically in mind - Increased Logic Control of Gravity.

I'd prefer to boil it down for the purpose of this thread, but I don't quite have time for that. But, a quick summary- If we could slave gravity modules to other gravity modules, we could use that to tell them, essentially, "don't affect players who are already falling left- or upwards", depending on the direction of the slaved gravity. Then, we could build something akin to this-

- where inner two gravity blocks are set to only affect players in downwards gravity, and the outer two are set to only affect players in sideways gravity. Thus you could, from either side, walk in, be ignored by the downwards-field, be set to fall sideways by the sideways field, be ignored by the reverse field as you pass through it, and finally be affected by the downwards field at the end. Simple, reliable two-way corridor.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    nightrune
    Quarters should give us a cool vehicle for gravity upgrades.
    So now that you are part of the dev team, can you offer any more insight into possible gravity improvements? (And congratulations on the new role.)

(Edited to actually call you out in case you weren't following this thread.)

Last edited: