Simple Elevator

Reaction score
    For lack of decent tutorials and simple mechanisms I decided to post an easy elevator for any structure.
    I am assuming the reader is new to building logic structures in starmade and will keep this detailed and simple as possible.
    Items you'll need.

1. 1 Ships Core.
    2. 1 Docking Module.
    3. 2 Buttons.
    4. Basic Rail ( amount depends on height between floors you wish to travel).

In this example I will use a simple 2 floor construction.

The ground floor to 2nd floor will be 10 blocks high.

Enter your ships core and go into build mode (building block on stations and planets).

On your ground floor start at the wall delete a 1x2 area coming out from wall.
    Starting in that hole, place 10 basic rails with the arrow pointing up or down. Your choice but they all should be pointing in same direction.

Nearby place your buttons.
    Place a basic rail beside each button. One rail should face up, the other down.

Now, on a button press "c" then "v" on the single basic rail beside it. Now hit "Ctrl + v" on the basic rails running up your wall. If you do this right then your button will have a yellow outline. Your single basic rail and the line of them up the wall will have a purple outline. You can simply press "c" again on your button to deselect it.

Now, do the same thing to the other button and it's single basic rail as well as the entire row of rails up your wall.

Do all this again on the second floor. The next part is the elevator floor.

Exit your ship or structure. Hit "x" and spawn a ships core. Enter the core and go into build mode.

Place your docking module anywhere on it you want but, make sure the arrows are facing out from the core, the direction the arrows point doesn't matter. Hit "I" and click "ship" at the top. Select weapons and drag the Docking module down into your hotbar.

Make sure you are in flight mode and select the docking module in your hotbar. Target the basic rails on your wall. Anywhere on the rails (not the ones by your buttons). After targeting exit that core.

Push "r" on any of the buttons and watch your elevator go.

How big you make your elevator floor and how tall the rails is up to you. Adding automatically opening doors and lights is easy too but, I wanted to keep this first tutorial real simple and easy.

New people are coming to this game everyday and will find themselves coming here for the first time for tutorials.

I will post better and more complex tutorials with optional links to youtube later.
    My videoes will be simple and easy to follow.
    No slurred speech or background noises.
    No jerking or fast panning of the video.
    Every block I touch/use/place will be announced by it's name as it appears in the starmade factory/shops items list in a clear and intelligible voice.
    There will be no Fancy opening graphics or music because who cares about that crap anyways.
    The complete version number of the game I'm using for the tutorial will be announced in the beginning of each video.

Thank you.

Come see us on my server, Valhalla.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    Nice job ...
    But, in my personal opinion, this info.post need only one thing, "PICTURES" ... A picture is worth a thousand words

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Nice job ...
    But, in my personal opinion, this info.post need only one thing, "PICTURES" ... A picture is worth a thousand words
    I definitely agree with this sentiment. While I already know the construction of elevators, including advanced designs, newcomers would greatly benefit from having visuals of the construction.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    I definitely agree with this sentiment. While I already know the construction of elevators, including advanced designs, newcomers would greatly benefit from having visuals of the construction.
    Correct, while you can understand 100% what you are saying, explain it to others only with words, sometimes is not enough, so I always use images to reinforce what I say.

If no one has ever seen what a cat and a dog are like, and you only tell them, they have 4 legs, ears and tail ... people could be wrong when they see them, confusing which is which, because according to the description both have the same traits, but if you show them an image, the information given to them is reinforced ... not the best example, but it´s the main idea.