Should I create a new Server?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Im thinking of creating a new Whitelisted server. I was hoping to get some information about how the server should be hosted by people filing out this form. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ei-I0g0V_gLLbSD4iOUS71eTHlMidRezDIGQHBo_XO0/viewform?usp=send_form
    I have hosted 2 TF2 servers in the past. I have only temp banned 2 people in the two servers 1 year history.(Harddrive failure and no funds to fix it) I am a fair Owner and a I dont accept any crap from admins abusing their power. Any Admin that gets caught abusing their adminship will be removed from whitelist instantly. I disapprove of doomcubes but I wont ban because of them. Some rules I would have:
    1. No damaging peoples property if they are offline. Only online fights.
    2. No Trolling.
    3. No abusing bugs.
    4. Try not to land 50K mass ships on planets.. Please.
    5. Be a good sport.
    6. No whining /Crying/Complaing
    7. All reports of someone breaking the rules must come to me or an admin. They must be reported in a Orderly manner. No calling people hackers and junk.
    8. I appoint admins. No Admins appointing admins
    9. Any questions regarding the server and changes to the server come to me.
    Im not sure if it will be Whitelisted or not yet. Please pitch in with any of your ideas. This is a peoples server. For the people. Also there will be no Voting gets benifits things. We may do raffles or something like that but Ill never ask for votes, money, or anything else for these events.

Reactions: Jake_Lancia
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    No damaging peoples property if they are offline. Only online fights.
    Have fun enforcing this. I played for a short time on a Space Engineers server that had a similar policy. I say short because it was unable to sustain itself.

No Trolling.
    This is incredibly subjective. What if someone says I killed him because I trolled him? What's the benchmark for trolling?

Those are the issues with the rules that I see. Also, what will the server.cfg look like? That has the most impact on how a server feels.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Well, I do see a lack of 100% vanilla servers with devbuilds (other than the official test server, but it gets wiped often from what I've heard).

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Looking at the current status of the community, I'd say to only invest on a new server if you really can "keep it up" , even without the aid of donations. To have a decent SM server the cost is horribly expensive, and there's already a lot of other smaller servers that are half-empty around there...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Looking at the current status of the community, I'd say to only invest on a new server if you really can "keep it up" , even without the aid of donations. To have a decent SM server the cost is horribly expensive, and there's already a lot of other smaller servers that are half-empty around there...
    What kind of server hardware are we talking about. Because I know what its like for 5 people on not 30.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1430923992,1430923931][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Well, I do see a lack of 100% vanilla servers with devbuilds (other than the official test server, but it gets wiped often from what I've heard).
    Hmm.. maybe I could host a persistant dev build sever.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    What kind of server hardware are we talking about. Because I know what its like for 5 people on not 30.
    Ah, well, if it's aimed to be small, then one of those cheap providers will do it just fine, I guess. (like 8 bucks)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Ah, well, if it's aimed to be small, then one of those cheap providers will do it just fine, I guess. (like 8 bucks)
    Well I was gonna host it on a dedicated computer that I have. its a little old but I think it'll run a medium server. 3.5ghz quadcore. 6gb ddr2 ram. 50gb ssd. We got 50 megabits up and down too for the internet. Man I love epb.I can pay 90 $ a month for gigabit internet. Why anyone would need that idk.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Im thinking of going with Mariux's idea about have a dev build server. Should it be creative or survival?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hmm. alright. I believe I know what im gonna do. Itll be a medium sized server. Max 30 People. Speed 250. Ill go grab some custom pirates from someone after I ask. PVP. Ill make the server and a page for the server later.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Should I have the server enforce a whitelist? So I can control who is on? I wont be harsh about it.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Should I have the server enforce a whitelist? So I can control who is on? I wont be harsh about it.
    Yes, you should do a whitelist. And make it survival. If you need pirates, feel free to use my pirate pack. Might be a bit too hard, and if they are, I can make some easier ones. Or just use these ones and make like 20 easy ones so that when they spawn, the likehood of spawning the hard ones is way lower. http://starmadedock.net/content/mariux-pirate-pack-a-new-wave-contest-entry.2622/

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yes, you should do a whitelist. And make it survival. If you need pirates, feel free to use my pirate pack. Might be a bit too hard, and if they are, I can make some easier ones. Or just use these ones and make like 20 easy ones so that when they spawn, the likehood of spawning the hard ones is way lower. http://starmadedock.net/content/mariux-pirate-pack-a-new-wave-contest-entry.2622/
    Your pirates look pretty nice. I think ill use them. Thanks. Ill make another Thread here in a bit for the server. Then Ill take names for the whitelist
    Edit: Should I add these on as pirates or remove the Isanths?

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    Ooh a new server?
    Needing pirates or starting ships/stations? Feel free to use any of mine for whatever you need them for. I also have a few other pirate ships I made but never released, I could send them over too if you wanted.
    And I'll be sure to check it out once it's set up! Good luck with it!

Last edited:

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Your pirates look pretty nice. I think ill use them. Thanks. Ill make another Thread here in a bit for the server. Then Ill take names for the whitelist
    Edit: Should I add these on as pirates or remove the Isanths?
    I'll make some smaller ones to replace Isanths and make the larger ones (those I provided) spawn less often, because they're quite tough.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Server is now up. Talk to me about how to get whitelisted.