shops need some looking into.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I've been really heavily looking at the recent changes happening to the game. for those that know how to find ans use it, the Dev builds are a good way to get sense of this. I do know the early state this game is in, and you can save your automated response for someone that cares. the game is growing and that is exactly what it should be doing.

so what I would like to draw attention to, is the shops in the game. they need some attention. this is getting much more obvious with each of the new versions of the game.Whats wrong with them?

well, they need some looking at both visually and functionally.

visually they are mostly fine, for the normal shops anyway. as of the new NPC update there are now two types of shops, and with that change one of the visual problems is now blindingly obvious. the new type as the game calls them advanced shops. they look like the normal ones, but with the little glass room at its center. this looks functional right? well it would be if I'd didn't have the NPC which is needed to buy crew members from. why is that a problem, well two reasons. one what happens if there is no NPC in one? you cant buy new crew, and why wouldn't there be one, pirates as hostile entities can and if lured to them will kill them. thus totally defeating the reason to even have them there at all. this was sort of fixed, by having the possibility of spawning pirates near shops nearly, well maybe, well perhaps (OK lets face it not really) all but eliminated.

not that big an issue, but if schema really would just put a Plexdoor on it, or make some airlock or other apparatus in order to protect the occupant, then when bugs like when pirates spawn near the shop, they can passably, not break the only reason to have these shops in the first place. by killing said occupant. but this is only one of the two issues with them.

the other issue is much easier to address. it deals with the items in the shops rather than its outside appearance. I've noticed for the longest time that the weapons available to us, is growing, and they are all being dumped into the ships section. this is becoming more blindingly obvious, due to the new changes and additions of weapons effects. if they are going to be so many in number we need them to get out of the way so we can find the other ship parts. this is also making me wounder why hasn't it been done already before now?

Reactions: Ithirahad

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    The Killing of the NPC within the shop is a result of a bug, However that Bug is NOT pirates spawning near it. Pirate spawn is random, therefore there is no control over where they spawn. The bug is that before 0.14, Pirates would not Fire at entities within the Range of a Shop. I dunno why it is bugged as it is, but I assume that feature is what is meant to protect the NPCs.

I also think that the Custom station spawning support that was planned (for much later) will allow for custom shops as well :u but I can not be sure.

Shops are not of priority, is why the inventory is so Cluttered. Chances are Shops will be reworked and organized when it comes time for the Inventory revamp (Hull blocks being merges slightly and limits to how much you can carry). Until then, any attempt to reorganize shops will probably just result in a mess of extra tabs and categories (Which in itself is ugly as well).

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    The bug is that before 0.14, Pirates would not Fire at entities within the Range of a Shop.
    If I remember correctly, this was a feature, not a bug. It was even occasionally hinted at when you loaded up the game.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    If I remember correctly, this was a feature, not a bug. It was even occasionally hinted at when you loaded up the game.
    Ah, I messed up my wording, I mean that it was bugged past 0.14 in the sense that this was no longer the case.
    The safe zone around the shop was a feature yes x- x

Reactions: Jaaskinal
    Reaction score
    NPCs sometimes (well, very often) do not spawn in shops. I can't tell if they can be killed by pirates, too. The former is a bug that should be addressed (and probably will be before the release), but I didn't have time to look into it, yet, so I didn't create a ticket on the issue tracker, either.

As for an extra weapons category: Please keep in mind that the update is still a heavy work in progress and that there are more pressing matters that must be attended. I guess I can create a ticket for this, too. Will probably do so, but not before tomorrow. :)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Shops still need wedges, just like Isanth IVs... They should also have larger inaccessible areas to make them look more like trading stations rather than space sticks. There also need to be a lot less of 'em.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Maybe after the update we could have an official contest for shop's design. I know that the game would be still changing, so these designs after some time would be outdated, so they may not have their place in the final release, but nonetheless i guess that many players would participate in such contest, with many beautiful designs.
    Also they would look really nice in the new Starmade trailer, what may result on more players trying the game.