Ships are UNBUILDING THEMSELVES.

Reaction score
    I was trying to work on a new ship design today, i thought i had gotten reasonably far. the server restarted multipul times durring the construction and saved.. then after taking a break several different times i noticed whole chunks of work which i had previous added, started PERMINANTLY disapearing.

Clearing the Cache did nothing, I restarted 3 times to try and fix the issue, Each time i restarted, more and more sections of the ship started disapearing, aparently reverting to eariler stages of construction. the whole ship was not reverting simulatiniously but seemed to be doing so in sequence.. component after component.

I added over a million power to the ship, nearly 100% of the power blocks disapeared TWICE.

The front half of the ships exterior has now Dispeared entirely leaving only the frame.

EVERY single turret docking module completely vanished, even though they were there for several server restarts..

Whatever was in that recent patch apears to have made the game virtually unplayable. At least 3 or 4 others are mentioning they are encountering the same issue. There is no point whatsoever in playing starmade if its going to behave this way. I decided to put it down and not touch it until another major patch, because i every time i do something in this game now i am worried the game will go backwards again and undo everything. If there is one thing i cannot stand its feeling like i wasted my time completely...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I experinced the same thing. But I don\'t run the server i was playing on. He sent in a report though. - The front half of my ship was gone, and clearly not by AI ship fire. It was like a 10x10 square area was removed like with remove mode.

I\'ll try and investigate/recreate what happend this week - if details are not worked out before then.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I\'ve run across a simliar issue aswell, luckily it\'s not taken too long to redo the missing sections, but im not going to go any further with it untill this stops happening

Reaction score
    When I fired up the client today, a large section of the aft end of a ship I\'m working on was gone. This isn\'t a delay in loading, the blocks are not showing after extended periods of time. I can\'t rebuild the areas because the server and client thinks the blocks are still there. I can\'t delete the areas and rebuild them because in build mode, the blocks line up as if the original blocks aren\'t there at all. It\'s about 10W x 30H x 10L. I haven\'t touched this area of the ship for more than a week and it was there last night when I logged off. I checked other areas that I\'d just recently/last edited, and they\'re fine. I have seen turrets and ship parts disappearing when the ship is straddling sector borders, but there are other parts of the ship that extend past the missing area, and they too are fine.

On top of this, 4 turrets are missing. 2 or the turrets were placed more than a week ago, and are gone. the other two were placed about 3 days ago, and they too are gone, not just misplaced or floating somewhere in space. The ship has no engines yet so the turrets weren\'t lost somewhere while travelling. I placed three other turrets yesterday before logging off, and those are fine.

Reaction score
    (CnB Report already sent)

v0.1401 SinglePlayer/sandbox Win7x64

The fancy thing about my situation is, that it happened right after upgrading my RAM, absolutely no issues before. First time start with new RAM, really happy about not having degenerative system issues due to lack of RAM anymore. And then this, hehehe xD

I could even watch it happening, while idling and thinking about my construct, which became very massive (4M+ blocks, growing, that\'s why my ram replacement from 2x2G to 2x8G) Suddenly I noticed some sort of single flickers/twitching on the display, it looked and felt like, if the server started unloading my sector (hdd rattling/tourettes mode), while me still inside. Then one hole after another appeared, still showing block info, when hovering with the crosshair above an invisible block.

EDIT:

After restarting the game, everything cool again, no holes.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    did restarting the game, not fix it for others except h0yer?

In case it is NOT fixed by restarting the game, I need the following files:
    - complete /logs directory
    - settings.cfg
    - the name of the ship that got corrupted
    - gamemode / multi? single?
    (and everything stated here: http://star-made.org/content/how-report-bug should be done if possible, if not also stated)

In case you are concerned about settings and logs (may contain your IP address) its no problem to send them via PN to me.

- Andy

Reaction score
    This would be a good thing to work out because the deleted areas of the ship cannot be fixed. They can\'t be deleted because the blocks don\'t exist, but you can\'t fix the hole because the game thinks they do exist. Same thing for the turrets that vanished. You can\'t mount a new turret because the game thinks there\'s still one there, even though there isn\'t. Easy fix for it though - delete the turret block, put it back, and when the new turret is mounted, it bounces the invisible turret out of the way.

The client and the server have been restarted multiple times, including logging in with a different client on a different machine. Hole still exists and the turrets are still missing.

Ship name is H-Grafton. Settings and log archive sent to PM. v0.1401, vanilla server, multi client, multi player.

Reaction score
    Not from my machine and client and not from another machine and client. The ship has a permanent hole unless I build some huge, hideous \"patch\" around it.

Reaction score
    Unless you\'re super lucky, basically any ship or turret you built prior to the patch is broken. You need to delete it, and the turrets, and rebuy the blueprint. The reason being, the ship you are in is not the ship you are in. I got in a ship to go help a buddy, and when I got there, none of the guns worked and the pirates were on a rampage, so when I evacuated a few sectors and went into build mode to see what the problems were, all of a sudden I discovered huge chunks of the ship was gone (they were there when I got in it), the one turret didn\'t work at all (no weapons in the T menu - no AMCs associated with the computer), half the other turret was missing, and the third turret was completely gone. The ship looked perfect when I initially got in it though.

At that point, you need to hope that when you get the new ship, it has all it\'s parts with no gaping holes, and the weapons are still tied to the computers. If the weapons aren\'t tied anymore, you need to go in and fix that. Then if you\'re lucky, you don\'t need to reassign the \"current\" block, even though the current block is properly set already. After setting the current block, you need to hope that the weapons are actually firing in the right direction. If not, you need to delete the computer, add a new one, and then reassign all the weapon blocks . . . again. Hopefully, that doesn\'t mean you basically have to tear the ship completely apart.

Then, you need to repeat that same process for each and every turret.

After that, you need to watch over the next few logins, because your turrets can just disappear, the weapons no longer fire again, all the weapon config is reset, the current block is selected but not working, or deselected, or all of these problems.

If all these things aren\'t checked each time we log in, the first time you meet a pirate, you lose the ship, because they don\'t wait while you try to kludge a fix for all the bugs.

So right now, basically every ship, and every turret on our server is garbage and needs to be checked each login, and the easiest thing is to delete them all and start over with new builds, and then wait for the next patch\'s bugs and glitches.

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    you have access to the serverfolders, and know a few blueprints that tend to break on spawning them in, please send me a copy of them.

Got your PN and looked into the log, also answered and asked a few questions. :P

Looks like its a local problem.
    Updated testserver to current release, and all seems fine.
    Also loaded and converted a few of my universe backups from various versions, all seems fine here.
    Maybe a thing specific to blueprints. (Built with ignore docking area imported/spawned to servers with active docking area check tend to fall apart or bug around a bit, but all self-made (the ones I know the settings they were saved with) are okay.

- Andy

Reaction score
    Ignore docking area is set to false. I didn\'t want there to be ship/turret issues so ships have to be built with the appropriate sized docking areas. None of the ships have docking areas that are too small unless they get hit with the glitch where the docking block just decides to disassociate itself with the enhancers, which has also happened.

What do you mean \"converted\"? You took folders, backed them up, and then copied them back in later aand the game internally converted the older universe versions to the new ones, or you did it manually? Where is the \"universe\" stored? In the server-database/data folder, client-database/data folder, neither, both?

Reaction score
    So, at your suggestion that there were missing files and a corrupted database, you suggested I run \"/despawn_all MOB all false\" to correct the database. I ran it and it deleted 91 entities, including all the player made ships and all but a small handful of turrets. imagine if there was actually an explanation of what that command did before it was run?? What changes it made to the server or how it runs \"better\" is completely unobservable.

Now in most cases the ships are saved so they can be respawned, but not all of them, because people are people and they have lives, so all those ships are pretty much permanently lost. of the ones that can be respawned fro mteh catalogue, most show up with missing chunks, missing turrets, non-functioning weapons, or all of the above. So, after a player respawns the ships, fixes everyting, fixes and readds the turrets, as soon as they log out, the ship despawns and it has to be redone.

Also, explaining that \"everyting runs fine on yoour server\" is pretty much useless. The game SHOULD run. If it DOESN\'T run on everyone\'s machine that isn\'t identical to yoours, then THAT is what the focus should be.

Lastly, telling players that they SHOULDN\'T run a server and the client out of the same executable because running a single payer game will wipe the multiplayer universe if they do, is kind of important shit to know. Bear in mind though, that if yoou have two instances of starmade in separate directories, both will try to write to or read the same memory properties file, corrupt it, and then neither will start. FYI

So, nothing is fixed yet, and in fact, there are more bugs associated with ships, blocks and turrets.

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    I do also.

Directories:

Playing on a Server via Multiplayer option in launcher:
    starmade/client-database/
    Multiple instances of a client in one directory, work very good, no issues detected,
    for now tested only for all instances playing on the same server, regardless of IP, localhost also would use this directory

Playing on singleplayer via \'sandbox\' option in launcher:
    starmade/server-database/
    Is used by the internal dedicated server,
    that only slightly differs from a stand-alone-dedicated server.
    This is also the location your database and universe-data is stored.
    starmade/client-database/
    is used for the client part in single player.

When starting a dedicated server on a machine the directory
    starmade/server-database/
    is used.

Most obvious stuff until here.
    Now when you (and you did that, as far as i can see from the logs), have a dedicated server running from a directory. Its is using and storing its database in /server-database.

When you now connect to it, via multiplayer mode (launcher setting), its all fine. And only your client-database is used. (This is the \'normal\' way that happens when running singleplayer)

Now when going to \'sandbox\' mode, your starting dedicated server (2nd one) starts up, and detects an unsaved open database state. Starting to fix/repair it to make it reusable for itself.

Leading to this being stated, beside many 100 other of similar messages on your starting client

[2014-03-25 20:27:35] java.util.zip.ZipException: error in opening zip file
    [2014-03-25 20:27:35] at java.util.zip.ZipFile.open(Native Method)
    [2014-03-25 20:27:35] at java.util.zip.ZipFile.(Unknown Source)
    [2014-03-25 20:27:35] at org.schema.game.common.updater.FileUtil.a(SourceFile:95)
    [2014-03-25 20:27:35] at sm.d(SourceFile:229)
    [2014-03-25 20:27:35] at sh.updateLocal(SourceFile:3086)
    [2014-03-25 20:27:35] at E.a(SourceFile:2581)
    [2014-03-25 20:27:35] at E.update(SourceFile:2293)
    [2014-03-25 20:27:35] at Iq.a(SourceFile:1095)
    [2014-03-25 20:27:35] at Iq.a(SourceFile:1087)
    [2014-03-25 20:27:35] at E.j(SourceFile:1874)
    [2014-03-25 20:27:35] at of.run(SourceFile:72)
    [2014-03-25 20:27:35] at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

(from log.txt.1.1)

At the same time your dedicated server was running too, from at least:
    [2014-03-25 14:42:13] to [2014-03-25 20:37:24] (from log.txt.1)

It also got in trouble spamming messages about writing ai groups and failing at it, not finding the entities.

This was only one of the times where this happened.
    You did this many times, also sometimes you connected to the dedicated server by using sandbox mode. (The sandbox session sometimes crashed its internal server then)

Since those entity not found messages regarding MOBs did spam your client, server and dedicated server I advised to remove all mobs, (yes i forgot the detailed description of what this did, my bad, true)

And just as a summary, your \'server\' with \'users\' is only knowing of you and two others connecting via localhost or at least a lan-ip. So please dont state its sort of a productive server that got damaged in any way.

And just draw a clear line in this:
    Yes I tried to help you with a server/client combination that got messed up really bad, although I state, I need a predictable gamestate to work things out.
    Guess I should not help in those cases anymore.
    Since there are too many factors I cant really see in messed up environments.

So please create a clean logs directory and use a predictable gamemode, maybe shutdown the dedicated server for a few hours, or connect to it via \"multiplayer\" on adress localhost.

- Andy

Reaction score
    I brought the conversation here because things like \"running single player when you\'ve got a server running can wipe the multi player universe\' are important things for ALL players to know, as I said.

This server has only ever been run on localhost multiplayer. I\'ve never started single player, not even once. The only sandbox mode is listed for single player, which I\'ve never started. I can\'t start sandbox mode in multiplayer unless there\'s some other undocumented feature in the launcher that I\'m inadvertently using.

In a java console, running the starmade JAR from a batch file, it has spammed those AI messages since day 1. I could never run the /shutdown command from the java console because it immediately scrolled away. I called /shutdown from inside the client. The text in the console was a blur scrolling by, couldn\'t read them, saw no reason to check the logs, and the server seemed to be working without any more bugs than anyone else had, so that was the way the server ran. Using the server manager - zero messages except for current players.

There are seven people using the server right now, three other transient ones, and only one local LAN connection. My son. If your logs don\'t show all of that, then there\'s another bug to fix - incomplete logging. Nowhere did I say it was some sort of \"productive\" server, whatever that means, but the users have been busy building and rebuilding, just like any other small server. 6 other friends expressed interest, but they don\'t like \"testing\" they like \"finished\" so I told them maybe they should wait. Knowing them, they\'d definitely be pissed if they lost their shit ever time they logged in/out.

The game is alpha, there\'ll be glitches. So, in case you make other mistakes in advice, your solution is to stop helping the people that are testing YOUR product for you? That\'s a solution? Really? How about giving the testers the TOOLS to test your game? Explain what the video settings do, what the effect on the performance will be, and what known bugs there are. That can be done with a mouse over in-game, and the bugs updated in an options thread. Put clear complete explanations of the admin commands. Obviously, there is a problem with them too as all the player ships and almost all the turrets were deleted and none of them had any characters in their names that matched the string \"MOB\". Clear explanations about the options and commands mean testers will have a far better understanding of what a setting will do, and won\'t be creating bug reports like \"OMG THE GAME IS USING RAM!\". Some of the players might be coders, but the vast majority likely are not so clear descriptions off the start will save a huge amount of time and effort on everyopne\'s part. Organizing the forum into specific bug categories would also save time, save duplicate bugs and prevent bugs from being buried in a morass of generic bug reports.

So the log directory is empty. When I start the game, \"Start Dedicated Server\" is the first button I hit when the server isn\'t running. \"Start Game\" is the button I hit when I start the launcher again to run the client. The radio button under \"Multiplayer\" is the one that is selected, the same one that has been selected since the first time I started Starmade. The radio button under Single Player is unchecked, like it\'s always been, and that is the only place that shows the word \"sandbox\", but I\'ve never selected it. Is the word \"sandbox\" supposed to be bold or greyed out? Even unselected, it\'s bold. If it\'s starting my client in sandbox mode when it isn\'t selected, and never has been, then there\'s another bug to fix.

Even after the admin-command-of-death, ships and turrets are still disappearing. I sent you the BP of the ship with the missing rear end. That\'s still a problem, among others.

Reaction score
    Just an FYI, logging in and out a bunch of times in multiplayer only, and trying different settings, there\'s no other mode in multiplayer BUT sandbox mode. At least that\'s what it says in the window\'s title bar.