Ship Scripting

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I've been considering making a scripting program for Starmade now that the Dev build has been released. In the Dev build, ai ships will go back and forth in between stations and deliver and defend stuff. However, I am not a master Java developer and most of my experience is from modding Minecraft. So I have a few questions:
    1. How would I go about this? Would it have to be a third party application?
    2. Is Schine planning on adding scripting support? If so, then this tool would be useless...
    3. Is there any way to mod Starmade's code like with Minecraft?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Megacrafter127 You still around?

As of right now, there is no easy way to mod the game. You would be forced to mod directly on top of the game, like old MC mods/current mod loaders and to update it every time the game updates, which can be several times a day.

Schine does plan on having official modding support, but they're kinda being dicks about it, not even saying when beyond "in beta".

Don't mod starmade yet beyond the custom blocks teh game already allows, it'll be a giant headache

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    1) Decompile Java
    2) Identify hooks you need to intercept
    3) Write your own base loop that likely calls the original loop
    4) Import the libraries that hijack the calls you need to
    5) Make sure you call the appropriate hooks if there isn't another hook to call
    6) Test

Repeat steps 1 through 3 after each update, and likely test the crap out of it. Beyond figuring it out the first time you'll need to figure out what changes every time.

As far as I understand it, that's what needs to happen. There are some things you can do with NPCs and the lua they use.

DISCLAIMER: Its been awhile since I've read the Terms of Use for starmade but generally decompiling breaks it.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    DISCLAIMER: Its been awhile since I've read the Terms of Use for starmade but generally decompiling breaks it.
    You can do it for personal use, just not sell it

"You have permission to adapt StarMade for your own personal (non-commercial) use, but you must not distribute your adaptations in any way that is unfair or adversely affects our rights in StarMade. Beyond that, you are not allowed to copy, reverse engineer or de-compile StarMade without permission."

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    You can do it for personal use, just not sell it

"You have permission to adapt StarMade for your own personal (non-commercial) use, but you must not distribute your adaptations in any way that is unfair or adversely affects our rights in StarMade. Beyond that, you are not allowed to copy, reverse engineer or de-compile StarMade without permission."
    So if you do do it, You'll need permission to distribute later on. Seems fine to me.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    So if you do do it, You'll need permission to distribute later on. Seems fine to me.
    You'll be able to distribute. Personal noncommercial usually means not a company and not making money, like Unity3d's Personal Licence.

Reactions: nightrune