Sexy Point Defense Turrets?

Reaction score
    Okay, so, I'm tired of all my PD turrets looking so ugly on my ships. I mean, seriously, I build a beautiful, sleek look ship, then I strap on the PD turrets and end up with a ship that looks like it has pimples!

So I'm looking for some advice.
    How do you guys make PD turrets that don't look ugly or out of place or totally ruin the look of your ships?

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    You really need to embed most of the internals in your ship. I usually use slabs now to make them look sleeker.

Reaction score
    See if you can spot them.
    Two forward, on the black lines; four aft, in a diamond formation; I can see the exposed cannon barrels, but they are very low profile! And they still have full range of motion?

You really need to embed most of the internals in your ship.
    I have tried that, but I have trouble then covering up the hole in the hull while still giving the turret room to turn. How do you manage it?

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I tend to make my PD near flush similiar to Crucru's. The alternative is to make your PD look so good that you don't mind it standing out:

Reaction score
    Little point defense, full range.
    That's very impressive! Pretty much exactly what I want to make. Would you be willing to post that turret for download? I can't tell quite how its setup just from the pictures.

The alternative is to make your PD look so good that you don't mind it standing out
    Good advice, and yours certainly do look good!

I've also considered making PD turrets on rails that recess flush with the hull and pop up on a logic toggle, but I fear that would be much to complicated to actually build into a big ship...

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Here's how I made mine: here's a link to the example in community content

Here's how to make a Very Low Profile (Sexy) Anti-Missile Turret that can be added to any ship. The highlight of this turret is that it's unobtrusive. IE: it doesn't require any systems be placed below the surface of the hull of your ship.

1) First off start off with a platform of a 5X5 three quarter slabs with a turret axis in the middle:

This example shows a border of full height blocks around the 5X5 slabs. The key here is the Slabs. They allow for full rotation of the vertical axis of the turret.

2) Make the turret base:

The only system blocks on this base is a core, docker, and turret axis. But you will also see some quarter slabs and wedges to cover the system blocks.

3) Now for the business end of the turret:

Here you have 8 system blocks: 2 Cannon Computers, 2 Cannon Barrels, 1 Light for color, 1 Bobby AI, 1 Docker, and 1 Core. Make sure you link the system blocks as indicated in the picture above.

4) Now we add some more quarter slabs to cover the system blocks:

5) now dock the Turret Top to the Turret Base:

6) Exit the core and navigate to the Bobby AI block and press "R" to access the Bobby AI menu. Set the Bobby AI as follows: "Turret", "Active", and "Missiles"

Congratulations, you now have a Very Low Profile Anti-Missile that has a full range of movement and does not have any systems below the surface of your platform.