Server Options for Fleets

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Soliciting ideas for server config options relating to fleets

To start I think we could use:
    • a limit to how many fleets a player can own at once (3-5 default)
    • a limit to how many entities each fleet may contain, to include all docking (100-200 default)
    • a limit to total mass per fleet (perhaps as an adjustable multiple of the server mass max)
    Other thoughts?

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Perhaps some control over what orders you see in the fleets menu.
    Would only require a single line in the config file like;

FLEET_ORDERS_ALLOWED=Idle,Move,Attack etc
    or maybe use a binary. Each bit could represent an order
    FLEET_ORDERS_ALLOWED=11111111
    or perhaps simply use a decimal and each order is just given a number. Which you could still use a binary for internal controls, but the entry in the config is simple a decimal. e.g.
    FLEET_ORDERS_ALLOWED=255 (allows all 255 orders, not that there are that many)
    Where 255 is the dec equivilant of 11111111.
    Another example, FLEET_ORDERS_ALLOWED=8
    In binary this is 1000 or if you keep to 8 bit, 00001000

Just a random thought.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Other thoughts?
    Max size limit for individual AI controlled ships.

The same way it is now done for player controlled ships. A ship over said limit should not function even if used as an AI ship.

This will give better admin control since it will effect all AI ships and not alone those in fleets.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Max size limit for individual AI controlled ships.

The same way it is now done for player controlled ships. A ship over said limit should not function even if used as an AI ship.

This will give better admin control since it will effect all AI ships and not alone those in fleets.
    Hey, it would be cool for an admin command line options to be available.
    /fleet_order idle all
    /fleet_order idle Lone_Puppy all
    /fleet_order self_destruct Lone_Puppy all ;)

Or maybe as a consequence of breaking the rule, when the player issues an order to the ship(s) outside the allowed limit only fly into the nearest star. :sneaky:

Reaction score
    I think this is not needed. Best way to limit them is making drone spam nonlinear difficult. You should leave players to make as much ships as they want. Limitation by code is not a solution and players don't like it. Better would be make addition of each next drone more difficult then previous. This way (or something about) is practiced in another games successfully.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Or maybe as a consequence of breaking the rule, when the player issues an order to the ship(s) outside the allowed limit only fly into the nearest star.
    That's a little nasty. :-p If i have set a limit then those ships not functioning is enough. The player can then rework them until they become under the limit at which point everything should work again.

I think this is not needed
    It is about the admin getting better tools to run the server. I need more control over the fleets and AI ships on the server. It is not about this is how StarMade should be played. Each admin will use these tools in his or hers own way.

players don't like it
    Some don't like it but as a player you choose what server you play. If you think a server is to harch on you or has limits you do not agree with. Then seek out and play another server. Or setup one of your own.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I'm wondering if perhaps faction points could not be used to maintain fleets? That way a player could 'chose' to have a largish fleet if they were willing and able to pay the cost of it. There would be two costs for fleets one for total ship mass and one for quantity of ships, which would abstractly be rolled into a single cost visible to the player. I suppose entity count as well could be factored into that.

The downside perhaps is that a player could perhaps have a large fleet of drones sitting around simply on Bobby control, not in a fleet, and then they could stick them all in a fleet for some job, then promptly disband the fleet after to save the faction points. So this would perhaps not really do the job of stopping server breaking fleet concentrations.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I'm wondering if perhaps faction points could not be used to maintain fleets? That way a player could 'chose' to have a largish fleet if they were willing and able to pay the cost of it. There would be two costs for fleets one for total ship mass and one for quantity of ships, which would abstractly be rolled into a single cost visible to the player. I suppose entity count as well could be factored into that.

The downside perhaps is that a player could perhaps have a large fleet of drones sitting around simply on Bobby control, not in a fleet, and then they could stick them all in a fleet for some job, then promptly disband the fleet after to save the faction points. So this would perhaps not really do the job of stopping server breaking fleet concentrations.
    That wouldn't necessarily be an exploit or terrible thing. I like the way Stellaris plays where you build ships and garrison them at planets and stations within your zone of control and they require minimal maintenance (certain station features can reduce this even further). When war is declared though, you need to launch those ships and as soon as they leave orbit around your planets/stations, your costs start to skyrocket. It goes up even more once your fleets leave your own territory and resupply becomes hard. This forces good strategic planning about when, where, and for how long to employ fleets and mostly discourages endless war.

A fleet of BAI ships hanging about a faction's base is not a bad thing - they would be limited to purely defensive action within a few sectors until the owner fleets them and orders them somewhere else, at cost. The cost would just have to be substantial, and should probably increase in neutral territory and even more in enemy territory.

Reactions: Panpiper
    Reaction score
    Perhaps a total block count limit (not mass, as to not discriminateven against armor tanks) with a multiplier per entity. That way, you don't have insane, server killing drone swarms because that multiplier creeps up with each entity, nor do you have a noob cube with 500 turrets with turrets on them.

Maybe even allow the number to go over the assigned threshold, but need to pay maintenence at that point (FPs, credits, etc)

Last edited: