Server Metrics

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Hello Starmade community!
    I was hoping to gather information of the hardware people are using to run Starmade servers, and the general behaviors of the players on them. If you are a server owner and could provide some information, I would appreciate it a lot! It's also a great chance to brag about your setup and users.

Feel free to copy and fill out the information below. You can either post it in this thread or send it as a private message to me if you'd like.

Storage:
    What type of data storage configuration is currently implemented for your server?

Do you have any metrics on the usage of your drive array?

How large is your current server database?

Memory:
    What type of memory configuration is currently implemented for your server?

Do you have any metrics on the usage of your server memory?

Do you have an idea of what the most memory your server has used and the conditions that caused it?

Processor:
    What type of processor configuration is currently implemented for your server?

Do you have any metrics on the usage of your server processor?

What typically causes a CPU bottleneck on your server to occur?

Network:
    What type of network configuration is currently implemented for your server?

Do you have any metrics on the usage of your servers network connection?

What causes your server network connection to become fully utilized?

Users:
    How many concurrent users have you had on your server?

Metrics for new and returning users?

Worldmap:
    How spread out is your player base?

Any metrics on average loaded systems?

Ships and Stations:
    If it is possible I would like to ask for a downloadable version of the ships and stations players have uploaded to your server so I can analyze them with scripts and check performance for them on my own server, as well as for gathering information about player trends when it comes to ship building. Things such as average sizes, block counts, module preferences and the like are important for understanding what to expect from the community, and how it may affect server performance.

Reactions: BDLS
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Been meaning to respond to this thread for quite a while now, I think it's important enough to warrant a sticky if others contribute.

This is data from the currently defunct server: LCB

I apologize as I don't have any metrics saved, just based off my memory.

===============================================================================

Storage:
    What type of data storage configuration is currently implemented for your server?

4x RAID 1+0 SATA drives. Fairly low tech by today's standards of course.

Do you have any metrics on the usage of your drive array?

No. Just lag during saving for all players. Decreased the saving frequency to every 20 minutes for a less interruptible player experience since the server was quite stable.

How large is your current server database?

Was around 4GB. Our custom config was anti-gigantism, so there wasn't a ton of big ships roaming space all the time.

Memory:
    What type of memory configuration is currently implemented for your server?

48GB DDR3 ECC RAM total. Had 36GB allocated for Starmade functions.

Do you have any metrics on the usage of your server memory?
    Do you have an idea of what the most memory your server has used and the conditions that caused it?

Never reached anywhere near to the allotment.

Processor:
    Dual X5650 Intel Xeons, 2.6 GHz, total 12 cores 24 threads.

Do you have any metrics on the usage of your server processor?

Don't have any saved, but usually the most load I saw was on a few varied cores

What typically causes a CPU bottleneck on your server to occur?
    Never happened across all cores, various random cores would spike to 100% while the rest would remain very low.

Network:
    What type of network configuration is currently implemented for your server?

Comcast home cable internet. Massive download speed, but merely 12-14 Mbps UP currently, was probably around there when LCB was up.

Do you have any metrics on the usage of your servers network connection?

This was the weak link in the server, upload speed. Didn't max compared to my speedtest tests, but came damn close in bursts.

What causes your server network connection to become fully utilized?

Lotsa players loading new sectors, discovering planets and having that data generated.

How many concurrent users have you had on your server?
    24 at max, for a while probably had 10-ish users most of the time.

Metrics for new and returning users?

Sorry, been dead for a few months now. Had a very custom config (no HBs, no shield blocks on ships, other big changes). Wasn't for everyone.

Worldmap:
    How spread out is your player base?

Mostly North American, some yuropoors too.

Any metrics on average loaded systems?

nope.

Ships and Stations:
    Sorry, do not have. One of our admins supplied a huge pack of community content stations.

Reactions: MAVYKINS