Server game play concept.

Reaction score
    I've been running a small server to take the pain away from my defunct PC. With the performance optimisation I'm thinking of going the whole hog on a server. I was looking at a server capable of 192 slots. But I was hoping to create something a little bit different to what I've seen so far. But I would like a range of opinions before I commit time and money to this.

So the idea is to have builders creating nice content in a civilized positive sectors. Neutral sectors is about functional structures and resource gathering. Negative sectors are anything goes. I'm going to try and create some game lore around a non-player faction managed by admins but that may all be a bit much

****************************************************************************************************

I'm going to designate systems in the following way.

Positive sectors - all co-ordinates are positive.
    Negative sectors - all co-ordinates are negative.
    Neutral sectors - co-ordinates have a mixture of positive and negative values.
    Server entity - A game generated planet, asteroid or station.
    Official war - A war agreed on formally by two factions.

PvP

Consensual in positive and neutral sectors.
    Non-consensual in negative sectors.
    Official war in all areas but only ship to ship in positive sectors.

Claiming territory

Positive sectors -

Factions can claim server entities but not sectors for sole use to build on. A claim is laid by planting a faction block with a structure on the entities surface and then modifying the structure to embellish it. Factions cannot spam planets with just a couple of blocks and a faction block. An entity has to be embellished to add content to the game. If complaints are received admins will become involved and rights to planets may be revoked for the faction involved.

All players can wander around positive sector territory and admire the monuments and cities created by the owning factions. Any entities built in positive sectors that are claimed using a faction block cannot be defaced, attacked or amended in anyway. Any contraventions will mean a ban. This also applies to warring factions. Positive sector property cannot be attacked during an official war.

The server rules dictate that server entities must be left intact and not mined. However when claimed and being embellished server entities can be altered as long it is improved. You cannot stick a house on a planet and mine out the center of the planet. You can mine out the center of the planets and turn it into an underground base.

Neutral sectors -

These sectors operate the same as positive sectors but player structures can be attacked during an official war. Server rules allow the collection of resources in neutral sectors. This applies only if the server entity hasn't been claimed. If you want to mine a claimed planet you have to go to war.

Negative sectors -

You take what you can and keep what you can defend.

****************************************************************************************************

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    These concepts always get confusing, stardrift tried doing the same, and with out some way of enforcing them automatically(which would need a modding API), things will fall apart

Reactions: NeonSturm

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I dont mean to be "that guy", But I don't see why people try to make servers like this - 3- Ideally it is to be a place for all types of players, but I cant see the point of it - 3-

Perhaps if you twist it around into a RP Perspective, with a Lawless region with no rules and "Core worlds" that have all them fancy rules.

Hell, why not go All Void Systems = Piracy allowed, and Solar Systems are "Neutral". You could consider the faction's homeworld a "core world" and Ban most conflict from said space - 3-

I dunno, there are more interesting ways to do the same thing is all I'm saying o -o and it would work better with a little RP thrown in methinks

Reaction score
    That's why I've posted I assume someone has tried this before.

I didn't really emphasize the role play aspect but it will be a role play server. It was enough to put in one post with out the RP.

I also realize that I'm relying on honesty and admins to enforce things.

Yeh simplifying things would be better, easier to understand less to police.

Would like to hear more opinions. No point in having a server no one uses.

Reaction score
    The problem I see here is: Why should anyone move around in negative sectors?
    It should be more like this: To get to another peaceful sector, you have to cross at least some neutral sectors. If you want the direct way, you probably will have to cross negative sectors.
    I'd do it like follows: Declare entire star systems as either positive, neutral or negative. This will be determined by the number of system indices that are divisible by three. If all are, the system is positive. If some are, the system is neutral. If none are, the system is negative. Also, the void between star systems should be negative.

Reactions: NeonSturm and Valan
    Reaction score
    The problem I see here is: Why should anyone move around in negative sectors?
    It should be more like this: To get to another peaceful sector, you have to cross at least some neutral sectors. If you want the direct way, you probably will have to cross negative sectors.
    I'd do it like follows: Declare entire star systems as either positive, neutral or negative. This will be determined by the number of system indices that are divisible by three. If all are, the system is positive. If some are, the system is neutral. If none are, the system is negative. Also, the void between star systems should be negative.
    I do like dividing the systems up so you have to cross them.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    How about prime numbers instead? That would make it more interesting in non-diagonals from spawn :p

Personally, I like what you said der_scheme, but that would not make the shortest paths negative.

Last edited by a moderator: