server.cfg station shp requirement variable for claiming systems

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    what: a server.cfg value for the minimum amount of shp a station must have before you can claim a system.

why: prevent easily spamming 2 block stations for mass claims, and/or hard to see cargo spaces, etc. this means you're actually putting some resources on the line to force powerful station building to hold up to enemy raids

how: skoomcode

when: next update, son

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This would be great for long time experienced players. Would be great taking away the shops to, so you have to mine. I love playing on those kinds of servers.

Noobs would struggle with it though.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    yeah it would be more for the PvP oriented servers

Erth Paradine

Server Admln & Bug Reporter
    Reaction score
    It's it already easy to destroy poorly defended stations?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It's it already easy to destroy poorly defended stations?
    You cannot out-destroy rapidly constructed stations with spread out modules compared to your enemy placing them.

Create a station with random cargo spaces spread out thousands of meters apart. Make the Faction module which is very difficult to locate thousands of meters from the station's location diamond point. (what is this called again?) Make a ton of them to claim space.

This suggestion makes it so you actually need some investment besides meager credits to claim an entire system.

Erth Paradine

Reaction score
    You cannot out-destroy rapidly constructed stations with spread out modules compared to your enemy placing them.

Create a station with random cargo spaces spread out thousands of meters apart. Make the Faction module which is very difficult to locate thousands of meters from the station's location diamond point. (what is this called again?) Make a ton of them to claim space.

This suggestion makes it so you actually need some investment besides meager credits to claim an entire system.
    Ah so the underlying issue, is that players can create almost invulnerable stations by constructing it primarily of transparent blocks, and then "hiding" the faction module far away from the station marker? Hmm, that's creative. Although build mode does reveal the location of those transparent blocks. Further, I wonder if configuring Cargo's "Hitpoints" from 10 to 0 would help.

Erth Paradine

Reaction score
    Build mode is no help when it's one block literally miles from any others.
    True - although I do wonder if setting Hitpoints for a block at 0 means that missiles would go after blocks with actual hitpoints; therefore exposing a faction block's location right away.

On the other hand, that doesn't address the issue of constructing invisible stations, to prevent others from building in that sector...an issue which sounds more like exploiting an unintended game mechanic.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Sounds like the real issue is abusive station design. There are probably better ways to deal with that. Though I do like the original idea, so you have to spend some real effort to claim a system (beyond your home system of course) instead of just dropping a hull block with a faction module somewhere.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Are these floating 'satellite' blocks considered an exploit? Could Schine introduce a limit (on empty space between a small mass of blocks and the main ship) on an entity? Perhaps limit these 'floaters' to a 30 or 40 block gap because I can't think of a legitimate reason to allow this to go on.

Erth Paradine

Reaction score
    Are these floating 'satellite' blocks considered an exploit? Could Schine introduce a limit (on empty space between a small mass of blocks and the main ship) on an entity? Perhaps limit these 'floaters' to a 30 or 40 block gap because I can't think of a legitimate reason to allow this to go on.
    Careful not to kill small shipyards :)

Reaction score
    How about some ratio of mass. So smaller things would need to be closer to the main structure, but you could make external station satellites with turrets outside the main station.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    How about some ratio of mass. So smaller things would need to be closer to the main structure, but you could make external station satellites with turrets outside the main station.
    Sure I'm fine with that. I don't want to limit peoples' creativity, just plug some loopholes that would be abused by hooligans.
    [doublepost=1477585642,1477585521][/doublepost]
    Careful not to kill small shipyards :)
    I say old chap, I'm just not getting your banter. ;)

(please elaborate)

Reactions: Nickizzy

Erth Paradine

Reaction score
    I say old chap, I'm just not getting your banter. ;)

(please elaborate)
    Regarding your earlier suggestion
    "...
    Could Schine introduce a limit (on empty space between a small mass of blocks and the main ship) on an entity? Perhaps limit these 'floaters' to a 30 or 40 block gap because I can't think of a legitimate reason to allow this to go on.
    ...."

The spacing of shipyard modules can be up to 50 blocks.

Although if such a spacer limit were specific to only storage and other invisible blocks...that seems a bit more practical to me. I do wonder if such an limit would impact creativity around pickup rails.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    The spacing of shipyard modules can be up to 50 blocks.
    OK, I see what you are getting at now. (I myself always connect the shipyard 'U' modules for aesthetic reasons.)

So even 50 is too small a number. I just picked that # out of my hat. My intention was to limit a gap between a 'floater' and the main craft to something within a usable sight-range. I don't want to limit people creativity in building. Let me pose this question then; How much of a gap would be needed to prevent this exploit without limiting builders significantly?

Erth Paradine

Reaction score
    How much of a gap would be needed to prevent this exploit without limiting builders significantly?
    I just don't see a legitimate reason for invisible blocks to persist without connections to visible blocks. Is there a valid use-case for this?

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Area detection blocks for triggering logic?

(makes me wonder if logic pipes could made to 'give-away' the location of these exploit-floaters (visible in build-mode)

Last edited: