Serenity Firefly class Transport

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Wait wait wait.... There's passive push modules in the engines? And they can rotate? AND IT $@$@^#& WORKS?!?!?!?!
    Serenity Take Off.gif
    This is how the engines work: There are 4 plex door blocks for each engine, one for each direction, forward, up, back, and down. logic controls when the doors are solid. when you activate the engines the appropriate door which is part of the mother-ship will turn solid inside the engine, and then the engine will fire a pull beam at that door block.

(modifiable for multi-directional tractor beam: edit the logic to not turn on the doors when firing up the engines... this would basically give you twin tractor beams that could be aimed where ever the engines are pointing.)

The following is basically a double post of what's in the Community Content section.
    http://starmadedock.net/content/serenity-firefly-class-transport.3214/

This is by far my most favorite Sci-fi ship, so I wanted to make sure I did it justice. To this end I made the ship as faithfully as I could. This is a 1 to 1 scale working ship with actual rotatable, and stow-able engines. The "gravity field" ring also turns around the mid section of the ship giving it a nice effect. I had a hard time with the solar panels on the ship, and I debated on weather or not to include them, but in the end I went ahead and left them on.

Front Port Top.jpeg Back Starboard Top.jpeg Landing Front Port Bottom.jpeg Landed Front Port Bottom.jpeg Cargo Bay.jpeg Chow Hall.jpeg Hallway to Bridge.jpeg

Stats:
    Mass: 385.7 (w/docked: 508.4)
    Length: 66, Height: 21, Width: 35
    Thrust 1023.1, Ratio 2:1
    Shields 3093@77/sec (enough to take a stray shot)
    Structure: 130830 Armor: 237725

Systems:
    Overdrive: 100% 386 blocks
    Radar Jammer
    Engines: Beam/Cannon/Pull (100/100/105)

Notes:
    All of the logic is under the floor of the cargo area.
    if the engines get out of sync you can rotate them manually from the buttons under the stairs. You can also kick start the gravity ring and engine rotation in the engine room.

If you'd like to modify the design and you have any kind of questions about logic or anything, then drop me a line, and I'll help you out.

As always... have fun
    You can't stop the signal :)

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    The scale seems to be pretty accurate, judging from the pictures, good job!

Reactions: alterintel

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Shiny!
    Awesome replica of one of my favourite ships (and by far the best TV show ever made :D )
    nice interior design
    The scale seems to be pretty accurate, judging from the pictures, good job!
    First of all, thanks guys for the positive feed back. Building a ship is that much more fun when your work is appreciated. Thanks :)

Updates:
    Something I forgot to mention, the engines do work for thrust, and you can point the thrust where you want. Up, Down, Forward, Backwards, pretty cool for a multi-directional cruise control.

I'm already working on an updated version. I've already added gravity units, I can't believe I forgot gravity... And some times when exiting the core, you end up outside of the ship. I've corrected this by making more room in the navigation room under the bridge. I'm going to try to get the shuttle docking mechanism and bay doors working before I publish an update though. But if it takes me more than a day or two I'll go ahead and publish what I've already done.

Last edited:

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Jing tsai, sheh-sheh. This is a beautiful thread.

I'm impressed with how you fit everything in to such a small ship. I figured a proper "Serenity" would have to be twice as big. (Especially since the crew quarters, as small as they are on the show, seem to be tucked away in some sort of targus-like pocket-space in the ship's neck.)

Justice is served!

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Jing tsai, sheh-sheh. This is a beautiful thread.

I'm impressed with how you fit everything in to such a small ship. I figured a proper "Serenity" would have to be twice as big. (Especially since the crew quarters, as small as they are on the show, seem to be tucked away in some sort of targus-like pocket-space in the ship's neck.)

Justice is served!
    Thanks, It wasn't easy, especially considering the original Serenity probably didn't have meter thick walls. The only place that really suffered was the guest quarters in the back, there just wasn't enough room. Actually the hardest part was getting a power system to fit, that could support the cruise engines.

Thanks for the props :)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Wait wait wait.... There's passive push modules in the engines? And they can rotate? AND IT $@$@^#& WORKS?!?!?!?!

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I know right?... Thant's why it's soo cool :) it took me like a month to figure out how to do it.
    to quote Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh: "Thanks for noticing" ;)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I know right?... Thant's why it's soo cool :) it took me like a month to figure out how to do it.
    to quote Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh: "Thanks for noticing" ;)
    I didn't even know that passive push on docked entities could make the main ship move. And the engines turn. This is just freaking glorious!

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I didn't even know that passive push on docked entities could make the main ship move. And the engines turn. This is just freaking glorious!
    Technically, It doesn't... It's not actually passive push, though I've done my best to simulate this effect. It's actually active pull (beam/cannon/pull) firing at the mother ship. Depending on which way the engines are pointed, logic activates a plex door block for the beam to hit, and pull the ship forward ( or backwards or up or down).

Last edited:
    Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Navigation lights are on the wrong sides, 1.5/10

Remember: port wine is red.

Seriously, great recreation.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You know I spent 6 years in the navy, and I always knew that "red" was on the "right". But then I looked it up to make sure, and I'll be damned if I've been wrong for so long.

Thanks, navigation lights will be switched in the next update. :)

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You know I spent 6 years in the navy, and I always knew that "red" was on the "right". But then I looked it up to make sure, and I'll be damned if I've been wrong for so long.

Thanks, navigation lights will be switched in the next update. :)
    Oh man... that's rough. But I shouldn't talk, because the only way I remember which one is port is because port and left both have four letters.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Wow the Serenity looks great! I was just making my own and once I finish it up I'll put it up too. The guest quarters had a seriously hard time fitting though, you are right on that note! Also my gravity ring doesn't rotate, how did you manage to give it a collision free time and still have any kind of interior in that area?

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Wow the Serenity looks great! I was just making my own and once I finish it up I'll put it up too. The guest quarters had a seriously hard time fitting though, you are right on that note! Also my gravity ring doesn't rotate, how did you manage to give it a collision free time and still have any kind of interior in that area?
    For the gravity ring, I found that it gave me just a little extra space if I used wedges on the ring instead of full blocks. And I didn't get as much room as I liked... for example when coming out of the the cargo area on the bottom floor going into the aft section where the medical room is. It's supposed to be a step down from the cargo area. I had to make it a step up, because the gravity ring was in the way, and there just wasn't enough space.

Maybe we'll be able to combine our designs and come up with an even better Serenity :)
    Good luck

JTJSniperBee

Cat Person
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    well. thinking about it mayby you could place some docks for cargo boxes and include some with the ship in cargo room? because without them the cargo room is just. too bland and i dont like it D:

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    well. thinking about it mayby you could place some docks for cargo boxes and include some with the ship in cargo room? because without them the cargo room is just. too bland and i dont like it D:
    good call. Thanks for the idea :)